Rendon to LAA 7/245

bigbadbuff

41 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

New it was coming when Cole went to the Yankees. Trout-Ohtani-Rendon is about as good as it gets. What are they going to do from a pitching perspective though? Their staff is horrendous. I’ve heard Kluber rumors.

They're extremely dependent on Ohtani being a Cy Young contender, Griffin Canning taking a step forward, and um...yeah.

They can honestly use a bunch of mid and backend guys in FA to soak up innings

-Keuchel

-Teheran

-Roark

Seriously, their innings leader this year was Trevor Cahill at 102 (5.98 ERA)!! Every year they depend on the same injury-prone guys and it always fails.

Edited by redsoxsuck05

27 minutes ago, mse326 said:

How does he "only" get the same contract as Stras? I honestly can't think of a single reason Strasburg deserves the same let alone better contract than Rendon. Given the money spent this offseason at least this is a steal.

Did rendon get a full no trade clause in that deal if so good on him for pulling that off.  Would have loved him on the braves but we 100% won't do full no trade clauses if im not mistaken from the people in the suits above our GM. So that put us out of it from the get go if he did end up getting one.

1 hour ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

They're extremely dependent on Ohtani being a Cy Young contender, Griffin Canning taking a step forward, and um...yeah.

They can honestly use a bunch of mid and backend guys in FA to soak up innings

-Keuchel

-Teheran

-Roark

Seriously, their innings leader this year was Trevor Cahill at 102 (5.98 ERA)!! Every year they depend on the same injury-prone guys and it always fails.

With their offense and defense, I think they can settle for that.  They've already got Bundy to soak up innings, and I think he's going to be good enough to anchor the middle of the rotation for them.  Getting him out of Baltimore just on it's own is a big deal, and there are things that you can work on with him to help lower that insane HR rate.  

Add Keuchel, who would benefit from the infield defense (a Simmons/Rendon left side of the infield is ridiculous) and then select the #5 from the other in house candidates, and I think their starting pitching would be enough.  They would need a strong bullpen, and while Robles and Bedrosian are good pieces, they need much more. 

20 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

With their offense and defense, I think they can settle for that.  They've already got Bundy to soak up innings, and I think he's going to be good enough to anchor the middle of the rotation for them.  Getting him out of Baltimore just on it's own is a big deal, and there are things that you can work on with him to help lower that insane HR rate.  

Add Keuchel, who would benefit from the infield defense (a Simmons/Rendon left side of the infield is ridiculous) and then select the #5 from the other in house candidates, and I think their starting pitching would be enough.  They would need a strong bullpen, and while Robles and Bedrosian are good pieces, they need much more. 

Robles/Buttrey/Middleton/Bedrosian is a solid but not spectacular back end of the pen. I’m not concerned about the bullpen if they can get some innings out of the rotation. The bullpen was all gassed by July last year after starting off well. Can’t rely on getting 6-7 innings out of your bullpen routinely like they did last year. Ideally you get two out of the available pitchers, get some innings out of Bundy, get a start a week out of Ohtani, and hopefully either Canning develops or Heaney can provide 2018 levels of production. A lot needs to go right, but we’ll see what their next moves are. I don’t think they’re done.