Xbox Series X

showtime

2 hours ago, showtime said:

Ah, okay I see what you mean.  That makes sense.  Going to need that for Star Wars Squadrons.

Squadrons will just be a test game for VR imo, or a testv peoject for a future, bigger Star Wars game. Even if it does launch for nextg gen, they're not going to completely remake it to be optomized on the PS5. 

I hope that the Xbox presentation shows something that really wows everyone. Next-gen games (PS5, at least) have not impressed me so far. I need to see something more than just faster load times and higher resolutions. Games need to play or feel different, you know? Games one the One feel way too similar to the 360 in terms of gameplay. 

2 hours ago, Lions017 said:

I hope that the Xbox presentation shows something that really wows everyone. Next-gen games (PS5, at least) have not impressed me so far. I need to see something more than just faster load times and higher resolutions. Games need to play or feel different, you know? Games one the One feel way too similar to the 360 in terms of gameplay. 

I think if we get a chunk of gameplay for a next gen game, the new tech will show off the benefits of this gen. All the assets being almost instantly available will change game design, especially in a couple years when the gen is the sole focus. 
Some of it is going to seem minor until you actually have it. Like both have 3D audio which will help with immersion. They both should get to/close to 60 FPS on games, which will feel so much better.

They are still going to feel similar on face value, we won’t really get the quantum leaps like we did from the early 90s until the 360 generation.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kiltman said:

I think if we get a chunk of gameplay for a next gen game, the new tech will show off the benefits of this gen. All the assets being almost instantly available will change game design, especially in a couple years when the gen is the sole focus. 
Some of it is going to seem minor until you actually have it. Like both have 3D audio which will help with immersion. They both should get to/close to 60 FPS on games, which will feel so much better.

They are still going to feel similar on face value, we won’t really get the quantum leaps like we did from the early 90s until the 360 generation.

Yeah I expect it to be a couple years before we actually see any major changes too in terms of game design

• 2 weeks later...

Other news,

• Xbox one X and Xbox One digital reportedly are no longer being  produced, the Xbox One S still is however.
    Leading to some speculation to an earlier release for the Series X. 
  • Building off that, it's confirmed that the entire Xbox One library (that included OG Xbox and 360 backward compat games) will be there at launch, 
    Kinect games will the only ones that won't carry over. Which all makes sense why they'd shutter production on the previous gen, no real point if all the games are playable on the new consoles.
  • Lockhart speculation is all over the place, newest speculation is a gaming version of the Surface.
    But most prevailing theory is it'll have all the same tech as Series X, but for 1080 gaming. 
  • Will find out in August, they came out and said this July 23rd show will be an hour or so of straight games.
  • Phil has come out hard against criticism that the 1st party games being on last gen will hold them back.
    Which when you think about it, they all need to be made to work on PCs anyway, they have built in scaling.

I loved the first fable and would love to see it make a real comeback but I'm always hesitant when a different studio takes over a franchise.

Hope it ends up being great though, Microsoft desperately needs some action adventure/rpg games in their lineup... They had so many back in the days of the 360 but this gen had next to none.

I think I'm most excited about the obsidian elder scrolls looking game. I tend to really like obsidians stuff and I love the fantasy open world RPG genre so it's right up my alley.

I couldn't care less about halo or gears but gimme a few good RPGs and I'm in

Edited by rob_shadows

Only game that stole my attention was the new RPG from Obsidian, Avowed. That game looks incredibly good, however we need to see more. Forza look amazing visually, but we always know what we're getting there. A few other games looked interesting/cool, but not out of this world. The Fable trailer was great, but it was obviously CG and the actual game seems like it's still 2 years out at least; I'm not going to hold my breath there.

It seems like Microsoft still has no answer to the story driven games that Sony is putting out such as Horizon, which is by far the best looking game I think we've seen out of everything next gen.

I felt like this was supposed to be Microsofts biggest even of the last decade, the event that could put them ahead of Sony going into next gen. Instead, it just felt like a very normal, no urgency conference. Overall, disappointing for me personally.

Just now, rob_shadows said:

I think I'm most excited about the obsidian elder scrolls looking game. I tend to really like obsidians stuff and I love the fantasy open world RPG genre so it's right up my alley.

I could care less about halo or gears but gimme a few good RPGs and I'm in

yeah getting Fable and now knowing what Avowed is.. I'm pretty excited.
Especially with Hellblade II, The Initiative's game, and InXile's Rpg.

I'll always have a soft spot for Halo and going open world should be a good choice..their choice of gameplay demo was a little vanilla.
Holding back a ton of the story.

As for the show I thought it was pretty good, especially once they told you the throughline was gamepass members are getting the whole show.
Hopefully we see what The Initiative's game is at next month's show, along with all the 3rd party marketing deal games that weren't here. 
Dropping that game, showing the upgrades Cyberpunk will have for next gen this fall (not the full Next gen version), and other multiplats + more stuff on the consoles and price should be a solid part 2.