Which Coaches on the “Hot Seat” will or will not be fired?

brownie man

Dan Quinn - Stays. They’ve had a ton of injuries and he’s a good coach. I think he gets another year to right the ship.

Adam Gase - Stays. They had a bad draft to help an offense. I think they get another offseason to build and hopefully no mono. 

Zac Taylor - Stays he  more time Burrow will be perfect for his offense. 

Freddie Kitches - Fired. I think he could maybe be a good HC, but Browns need someone proven ASAP and will either hire Rivera or McCarthy. 

Doug Marrone - Fired. Jacksonville cleans their Tom Coughlin house and starts fresh.

Bill O Brien - Stays they’ve sold their soul to win ASAP you gotta give him another year. 

Anthony Lynn - Stays I don’t see LA wanting to move into the new stadium and city with a new coach. They fix Rivers before Lynn.

Jason Garrett - Fired. I think they get Urban. 

Pat Shurmur - Stays I think they need a full offseason of Jones in the offense because Pat gets canned.

43 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Dan Quinn - Stays. They’ve had a ton of injuries and he’s a good coach. I think he gets another year to right the ship.

Dan's had five years to right the ship, not just one. He's a mediocre coach. He's the coaching equivalent of a JAG (Just a Guy). You're falling for recency bias, using the recent winning streak to justify previous years of mediocrity. I also don't think he's a great coach. He's not bottom 5 coach awful, but he's never going to win a championship with a lot of the systemic issues that plague his teams. And frankly, I'm tired of mediocre coaching.

Now, because it's the Falcons and the Falcons like to do stupid decisions, it's totally possible that they retain him, but you're never going to convince me that it's the right decision. It's basically throwing 2020 into the gutter and spitting into it. I guarantee you that if we retain Quinn, we're going to be trash next year.

Dan has had multiple losing streaks in his coaching career. 2015: After starting 5-0, the Falcons were 6-7. That's already inexcusable. 2016 was an outlier season due to Kyle Shanahan. 2017 the Falcons started 3-0 and then went on a 1-4 stretch before saving their season to be 10-6. In 2018, the team started 1-4, got back to 4-4, and then proceeded to lose five straight games to 4-9, before winning three straight to end the year at 7-9. This year in 2019, we lost six in a row to start 1-7 before recovering somewhat. The recurring theme here is: when things get ugly with the Falcons, Dan Quinn has no idea how to plug the holes until it's too late. The sample size is big enough imo, that you can say that this will be a recurring feature of his coaching tenure in Atlanta if he stays next year. So you can fully expect a complete mid-season implosion because Dan has no idea how to correct the issue until the Falcons are out of the playoffs. And what do you do in 2020, if the Falcons start the year 2-6, and then recover to 7-9 again? Retain him one more year to let him right the ship because of a winning streak when it didn't matter?

I can live with this happening once in his career, but it's happened every year but the Super Bowl season (and the team really wasn't that good in 2016, they got hot at the right time with a fairly average roster). You could argue that Dan's inability to figure out what's wrong with his team is part of the problem that lead to the Super Bowl collapse anyway! It's way too glaring of a systemic issue for me to ignore with Dan. He has his upsides, but the downsides are way too huge. Don't let a silly little winning streak when the team isn't playing for anything meaningful or relevant suddenly distort some hugely problematic issues Dan has with being a head coach. Now, we could be idiots and retain him anyway, but that would be a really horrible decision and set us back for years to come, especially since it means we would be retaining Dirk Koetter, who I think is one of the primary pieces to blame when it comes to the Falcons offense being so terrible this year.

Dan Quinn also thought Matt LaFluer was unimpressive and let him go find other work, while he thought Steve Sarkisian would be the guy to run the offense in 2017 over current Packers HC Matt LaFluer. So Packers fans can thank Quinn being an idiot for their current coach I guess.

Edited by Hukos
  • Like 3

Quinn: Fired. Late surge could save his job, but Atlanta would be better off moving on and rebuilding.

Gase: Fired. Terrible coach.

Taylor: Stays.

Kitchens: Fired. Team massively disappointed.

Marrone: Fired. Khan has made it clear he wants to thoroughly rebuild.

O'Brien: Stays. Sorry @ET80, in order for BOB to get fired he'd have to go 0-16 for 3 straight years, violate Bob McNair's corpse and shout "I hate Jesus" on a megaphone in downtown Houston.

Lynn: Stays. They'll give him another chance with a young QB on deck.

Garrett: Stays. Jerruh has to have his yes man.

Shurmur: Fired. Mara and Tisch have vented their frustrations with the team.

Edited by Elky
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Elky said:

O'Brien: Stays. Sorry @ET80, in order for BOB to get fired he'd have to go 0-16 for 3 straight years, violate Bob McNair's corpse and shout "I hate Jesus" on a megaphone in downtown Houston.

On the plus side, I think RAC gets fired once Duck Hodges throws for 450/5 in that WC blowout we're heading towards.

Dan Quinn - probably Hangs on, but will be on thin ice; any sign of struggle next year, he could be a mid season firing...

Adam Gase - Should get another season, but I’m concerned he doesn’t have the players’ respect..  I just want to see some improvement in Darnold.

Zac Taylor - can’t think of a single reason why he should, but he’ll probably get another year.

Matt Patricia- its been going in the wrong direction since he walked in the door.  I think he’ll be fired.

Freddie Kitchens - Although I feel it’s a bit unfair, he’ll probably get fired.. he is an *** though, and  appears to be in over his head, but for crying out loud, Hue got 2.5 years for 3 wins.   

Doug Marrone - the fact that Coughlin is gone leads me to believe he’ll be out too...

Anthony Lynn - Don’t know how he’s managed to escape criticism all year, but I can see this going either way.  They were 12-4 last year!

Jason Garrett -  if they miss the playoffs, he’s gone, obviously..  I think they’ll have to get in and win one for him to be safe..  I will say though, I don’t know who they think is going to go to Dallas and play 2nd fiddle to the owner....

Pat Shurmur - He gets another shot, but he could make an early exit next season if there is no clear improvement ...

54 minutes ago, frenchie said:

Jason Garrett -  if they miss the playoffs, he’s gone, obviously..  I think they’ll have to get in and win one for him to be safe..  I will say though, I don’t know who they think is going to go to Dallas and play 2nd fiddle to the owner....

Last year Garrett went 10-6, won a playoff game, wasn't offered an extension, and was forced with a new OC in his "prove-it or beat-it" year.   If he backs into the playoffs, he's going to need AT LEAST an NFC Champ game appearance (2 wins) for any chance of getting re-upped.  

12 hours ago, brownie man said:

I think it has become quite apparent that Shanahan was the brains behind their 2016 season.  I don’t think Quinn has been that impressive at all.  They should get rid of him now and allow a new HC a proper offseason to plan ahead rather than the inevitable mid season firing next year. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dan_Bali said:

I think it has become quite apparent that Shanahan was the brains behind their 2016 season.  I don’t think Quinn has been that impressive at all.  They should get rid of him now and allow a new HC a proper offseason to plan ahead rather than the inevitable mid season firing next year. 

The 2016 season was the result of a fairly pedestrian roster (that went 8-8 the year before), blowing the doors wide open with elite playcalling from Kyle Shanahan. Their defense was one of the worst in the NFL that season, so without Kyle, they're probably a 6-10 team. Also, what do you do if Quinn gets off to a slow start for the third year in a row? If you start 1-5 but recover to 8-8, do you keep him again because you did well in the 2nd half even though you put yourself into a deep hole? How many times do you need to see the same song and dance before you get sick of it?

As I mentioned in my previous post, Quinn has issues with streakiness, in both directions. You can't consistently make it to the post-season if you have three out of five seasons in which you had a losing streak of five games or more. That's just unacceptable.