Does Deshaun Watson get criticized enough?

patriotsheatyan

4 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I actually think Watson is regarded appropriately. And that's part of why we don't hear as much about him one way or another. I think everyone more or less agrees on what he is. He's a very good to great QB, but he isn't quite in the elite tier. And it's just kind of a wait and see to see if he plateaus or if he takes an extra leap.

I think he's very similar to like prime Philip Rivers. He's a great QB. He's both enabled and held back by some of the situations of the team he is on. He's going to have his 2 or 3 or 4 meh games per season along with the many that he's lights out, and that's what will keep him ranked behind the HOF caliber guys around the league. But he's more than good enough to win with and better than the vast majority of QBs in the league. But since everyone knows all of that, there's not much reason for a ton of chatter and discourse around it. He's not like Dak or Wentz or Goff, who are incredibly polarizing figures. You'll find people saying they're elite and just held back and people saying that their teams shouldn't be paying them franchise QB money. So every success and disappointment gets magnified. Watson is pretty known and agreed upon. Not a lot of controversy there.

Agree with most of this except Wentz. I don't think Wentz is that polarizing. I've gained a lot of respect for him this year because of how he's operated in less than ideal circumstances.

• Like 1

Hilarious how OP thinks that for some reason Deshaun is praised and not ignored frequently. Houston is never mentioned in NFL media like that, when Deshaun scored a touchdown in 15 seconds at the start of the season, I never heard about it other than a small mention in the media, when he beat KC, then people started to cheer for him but definitely not on the level of Mahomes last year or Lamar this year like OP and various others think, and when Deshaun got kicked in the eye, span out of a sack and threw for the touchdown, I saw it get mentioned and people were surprised, like he hadn't done the same thing 5 times in the same game (excluding the touchdown) and almost every game of the season. When we beat the Pats with almost ease, no one cared, when Lamar beat the Pats, everyone called him a shoe-in MVP candidate when at that point, Wilson was playing more lights-out than anyone else in the league. (Lamar is definitely MVP now don't get it twisted but it was just an example.) Deshaun has had a perfect passer rating twice this season, no one cared lol.

Yes he has some bad guys, RIDICULOUSLY bad games, they don't get mentioned cause everyone is in love with him, it's cause Houston is still a young franchise that no one really cares about or finds interesting, that's a fact

Edited by Drained
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Drained said:

Houston is still a young franchise that no one really cares about or finds interesting, that's a fact

This probably has moreso to do with it than anything. Houston simply isn't talked about on the main stage - good or bad.

1 hour ago, Drained said:

Hilarious how OP thinks that for some reason Deshaun is praised and not ignored frequently. Houston is never mentioned in NFL media like that, when Deshaun scored a touchdown in 15 seconds at the start of the season, I never heard about it other than a small mention in the media, when he beat KC, then people started to cheer for him but definitely not on the level of Mahomes last year or Lamar this year like OP and various others think, and when Deshaun got kicked in the eye, span out of a sack and threw for the touchdown, I saw it get mentioned and people were surprised, like he hadn't done the same thing 5 times in the same game (excluding the touchdown) and almost every game of the season. When we beat the Pats with almost ease, no one cared, when Lamar beat the Pats, everyone called him a shoe-in MVP candidate when at that point, Wilson was playing more lights-out than anyone else in the league. (Lamar is definitely MVP now don't get it twisted but it was just an example.) Deshaun has had a perfect passer rating twice this season, no one cared lol.

Yes he has some bad guys, RIDICULOUSLY bad games, they don't get mentioned cause everyone is in love with him, it's cause Houston is still a young franchise that no one really cares about or finds interesting, that's a fact

I  ain't arguing

Has anyone ever watched clips of Deshaun talking about plays? He’s remarkably articulate and very methodical in his approach to making decisions.

In my opinion, Deshaun has all the makings of an all-time great in the future — IF — he gets the right coach...

He possesses athletic ability that surpasses most QBs and also possesses the mind for it. Go watch some clips of him talking plays! Any fan of football should be a fan of this guy.

Edited by lolsurebro
  • Like 3

On 24/12/2019 at 9:50 PM, Drained said:

If anything, I'd say that Watson is underrated. To me, he's already up there with the best QB's in the game (which isn't a large pool of players), but unfortunately nobody really cares about the Texans. Which also sucks, since they are a fun roller coaster of a team. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

There's no denying that Will Fuller is a big difference maker on this offense. When he's playing, this offense is incredibly dynamic.

But... He never plays. He's always got some sort of pull or strain he's dealing with, guy is probably the most fragile player in the NFL. It's either he's really fragile or he's soft to the point to where he can't play through pain.

It's probably one of the most frustrating things to follow as a Texans fan...

On 12/24/2019 at 2:12 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

Agree with most of this except Wentz. I don't think Wentz is that polarizing. I've gained a lot of respect for him this year because of how he's operated in less than ideal circumstances.

The Wentz drama is severely overrated.

Much of it is Orlando flippin' Scandrick ex-Cowboy and current scumbag.

Its hard replacing Foles and Carson had to grow as a leader and a QB like all young QBs do.

In most places the old guy gets thrown out like trash (Warner in NY then Eli in NY for example)

In some places the young QB gets to audit for a few years  (Rodgers and Rivers)

Following Foles who was like 11-2 in must-win games is no easy feat.

• As someone said on the air recently, he has to walk past the other guy's statue on the way to the building.
Edited by SkippyX

1 minute ago, SkippyX said:

The Wentz drama is severely overrated.

Much of it is Orlando flippin' Scandrick ex-Cowboy and current scumbag.

Its hard replacing Foles and he Carson had to grow as a leader and a QB like all young QBs do.

In most places the old guy gets thrown out like trash (Warner in NY then Eli in NY for example)

In some places they get to audit for a few years  (Rodgers and Rivers)

Following Foles who was like 11-2 in must-win games is no easy feat.

• As someone said on the air recently, he has to walk past the other guy's statue on the way to the building.

Wentz is pooped on because performs worse than his back up and literally multiple people from the team have said he is a crappy teammate. It has nothing to do with Scandricks revenge tour. Orlando wasnt even on the team the past 2 years when Carsons teammates where bagging on him publicly. 

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

There's no denying that Will Fuller is a big difference maker on this offense. When he's playing, this offense is incredibly dynamic.

But... He never plays. He's always got some sort of pull or strain he's dealing with, guy is probably the most fragile player in the NFL. It's either he's really fragile or he's soft to the point to where he can't play through pain.

It's probably one of the most frustrating things to follow as a Texans fan...

I don't think its specifically just a Fuller thing. I think its also a sprinter/football player thing.

• DeSean Jackson is always hurt.
  • OBJ has been hurt a bunch. (he's played all year in 2019 at 75%)
  • Sammy Watkins is always hurt
  • Terry Glenn was always hurt
  • Percy Harvin, etc etc.

Guys who's game is turbo boost often fall apart just from running that hard and then they also get hit.

The ACL vs Miami was just a one-off cheap shot tackle on a guy who already scored and every player would get hurt on that hit.

Fuller might be 5% or 10% more likely to get injured but fast WRs get hurt all the time.

16 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Wentz is pooped on because performs worse than his back up and literally multiple people from the team have said he is a crappy teammate. It has nothing to do with Scandricks revenge tour. Orlando wasnt even on the team the past 2 years when Carsons teammates where bagging on him publicly. 

Name those people.

• Anonymous loser #1
  • Scandrick

END OF LIST

Just now, SkippyX said:

Name those people.

• Anonymous loser #1
  • Scandrick

END OF LIST

Im afraid you are going to have to count to 6....

Over the past two months, PhillyVoice spoke with more than a half dozen players, plus other sources close to the team, who all requested to remain anonymous — fearing repercussions given Wentz' power within the organization. And what they told us paints a somewhat different picture of the Eagles' locker room – and their franchise quarterback – than one might expect

https://www.phillyvoice.com/carson-wentz-exclusive-sources-paint-eagles-quarterback-as-selfish-not-team-player/

Or more since there was additional reports...

PHILADELPHIA – The Eagles seem to be in turmoil heading into a first-place showdown against the rival Dallas Cowboys, after an anonymous player complained to an ESPN reporter about the offense and quarterback Carson Wentz.

ESPN's Josina Anderson, appearing on NFL Live on Thursday, said an Eagles player told her: "We need to make (expletive) simpler. Sometimes you just need to handle what is manageable. Even Peyton Manning knew when to check it down."

Face it, the Eagles players dont like Wentz. Live in reality. Your QB sucks as a teammate.