Does Deshaun Watson get criticized enough?

patriotsheatyan

1 hour ago, Kirill said:

For real though, at the combine he had the lowest ball velocity since 2008. And sometimes in his game it shows, his passes just look slow motion or he underthrows guys on deep routes. Thats going to be a problem in the playoffs when the margin for error shrinks and defenses are faster and more locked in.

There are things you can criticize about Watson's game, but his arm strength is not one of them. His velocity is fine. It's above average.

1 hour ago, Kirill said:

I called him overrated before you did. Plagarizer. For real though, at the combine he had the lowest ball velocity since 2008. And sometimes in his game it shows, his passes just look slow motion or he underthrows guys on deep routes. Thats going to be a problem in the playoffs when the margin for error shrinks and defenses are faster and more locked in. Apparently in the KC draft workouts that year he was way behind the mark on Mahomes when it came to memorizing plays and stuff too.

I think he's getting crowned too early like Lamar, just to a lesser extent. Both guys have been to the playoff once and looked like total crap in those games but people have no problem talking about them like they've been there and done that.

Nothing of what you mentioned is an issue with Watson. His problems lie in recognizing the blitz early, holding on to the ball too long because he's always trying to make a play and having to commandeer O'Brien's ridiculous offensive scheme. All that can be worked on but his skillset, arm strength and QB acumen is definitely not the problem 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

his HC is holding him back from being truly elite. 

I wonder what someone like Watson would look like with a Sean Payton or Andy Reid as his HC.

Watson is very good when he goes off script and makes something out of the usual nonsense that BOB calls. His performances are in spite of coaching, which makes you wonder what he'd be doing with competent coaching.

2 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Now, saying that he doesn’t get criticized doesn’t mean that he is a bust or bad or just average. 

But I feel that when Watson has a bad game it rarely gets talked about while when he has a great game it is talked about for a month. He is also given compliments by the media that come off as delusional at times, seeing NFL Network analysts call him the Michael Jordan of the NFL, watching Willie McGinest said a few days ago that he has proven himself as a Super Bowl contender because of college, how many people seem to bring up Watson before Mahomes when discussing the Bears missing on Trubisky. Before the Texans Colts TNF the panel on either NFL or ESPN had people argue that Watson is too good for the Texans and needs a better team, as if he has proven himself to be above a fairly talented offense.

Now, I predicted Watson would be a bust so while I think Watson seems like a good guy, there is some salt on my part and part of me still wants him to be a bust so I can be right. So I’m biased here.

What do you think though? Does Watson get treated like he is more accomplished than he is?

The Michael Jordan stuff is from when Dabo Swinney said passing on Watson is akin to passing on Jordan; It's not exactly accurate, but a comment that was made in the moment by a college HC who just watched him pull off an MJ-like performance for a title. Media just ran with it, you know?

This being said, he's performing at a very high level - maybe not Jordan, but he's racking up numbers and winning games he's got no business winning.

2 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Is your issue that he's not being unfairly criticized as much as other players? That's not an issue. Other QBs getting criticized every time they have a sub par game is the issue.

Watson's over 4200 total yards and 33 TDs with a division title (once again) locked up 15 games in. I don't see what there is to complain about.

I'll admit that local media tends to gloss over his flaws, but that's what local media tends to do. 

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

My only critisism of Watson is that he is going to get himself killed because he has no idea how to avoid contact. Ive never seen a player that takes more unnecessary hits than he does because hes always trying to make a play happen.

Yup, can not agree more. I hold my breath every time he gets hit, because it's really scary on every sort of hit.

1 hour ago, Kirill said:

Didn't say Lamar hasn't gotten better this year  just saying its funny to me how Lamar and Watson are totally immune to criticism. The playoffs are a different animal and always dominated by the elite passers.

I'd personally put Watson as an elite passer - but I'm a bit biased, so take it for what it is.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I wonder what someone like Watson would look like with a Sean Payton or Andy Reid as his HC.

There’s a reason why you didn’t get to see this. Both had a chance to draft him and chose different players.

That being said, I would rank Watson as a borderline elite QB. I think the reason he isn’t criticized after bad games is because people rightfully recognize that those games are outliers for him. 

He may never get paired with Andy Reid or Sean Payton, but he deserves a better HC than O’Brien. 

29 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'd personally put Watson as an elite passer - but I'm a bit biased, so take it for what it is.

I'd put him as an elite passer too. That comment was directed more towards Lamar. I need to watch more of Watson, I haven't seen the Texans at all this season. Just him having a nearly record low throwing velocity at the combine has stuck with me and I'm not ready to let go of it being a big deal till I see Watson show out in the playoffs. Similar thing with Jared Goff, he had tiny hands and I said I wouldn't draft him for that reason alone and it seems to be one of the major things limiting his success in the NFL. I believe physical traits matter a ton in the NFL and would rather not have to overcome them with my QB. Mahomes for example threw the fastest that year and in our snow game recently looked basically unstoppable because of it.

Edited by Kirill
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Anc360 said:

There’s a reason why you didn’t get to see this. Both had a chance to draft him and chose different players.

Reid, sure - but the Saints really didn't look at QBs. Sure, there's a hypothetical scenario where the Saints pick up a QBOTF, but CB was a bigger need (the talk leading up to the draft was the Saints trading for CB Malcolm Butler, and then the Saints picking up Marshawn Lattimore at #11 overall).

Remember, the Saints had pretty big needs coming off of a 7-9 season - drafting a QB was a luxury they couldn't afford (and Lattimore at 11 was a great value pick for them, given their dire need at the position).

That being said, I would rank Watson as a borderline elite QB. I think the reason he isn’t criticized after bad games is because people rightfully recognize that those games are outliers for him. 

I can agree to this, but his bad games are bad. You can usually tell when he's going to have a bad day after his first drive.

That brings me to a legit criticism: you'll see QBs get off to bad starts, but they work themselves out of it. With Watson, it's four quarters of just bad. Watson (or better stated, Bill O'Brien) can't update the gameplan to get Watson out of trouble...

But, that's more an O'Brien issue, IMO.

He may never get paired with Andy Reid or Sean Payton, but he deserves a better HC than O’Brien. 

Amen.