Does Deshaun Watson get criticized enough?

patriotsheatyan

14 minutes ago, Kirill said:

I'd put him as an elite passer too. That comment was directed more towards Lamar. I need to watch more of Watson, I haven't seen the Texans at all this season. Just him having a nearly record low throwing velocity at the combine has stuck with me and I'm not ready to let go of it being a big deal till I see Watson show out in the playoffs. Similar thing with Jared Goff, he had tiny hands and I said I wouldn't draft him for that reason alone and it seems to be one of the major things limiting his success in the NFL. I believe physical traits matter a ton in the NFL and would rather not have to overcome them with my QB. Mahomes for example threw the fastest that year and in our snow game recently looked basically unstoppable because of it.

My only take on this is that previous velocity leaders from the combine include guys like Paxton Lynch, Logan Thomas, Tyler Bray, Brandon Weeden - so, having world class velocity doesn't really mean much. Mahomes is the guy who can do something with that sort of pop, but he's rare.

Watson doesn't have the strongest arm, but it's plenty strong for what's needed and he makes up for the lack of velocity by throwing the ball with impeccable touch - it's in a spot where his only his guy can get it, and it's not going to be dropped (Will Fuller was notorious for drops, but now can catch everything - when he's healthy, that is).

17 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Sacarsm is a lost art 

@ET80 

Hard to tell with you.

11 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Well I think he is what he is. A great player on a poorly coached team. 

Yup.

4 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Terribly weak division. But I still doubt he'll be moved soon.

I don't think this is the case anymore. Probably won't be THIS season, but if the Texans lose another home playoff game, the seat will be hot. 

BoB is basically Marvin Lewis. Eventually, middle ground isn't going to cut it, especially if Jerruh goes off and brings in Urban Meyer or Lincoln Riley. Public outcry against BoB will be deafening.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kirill said:

Victim complex. I've seen nothing but universal praise for him since he's been a starter. Keep that same energy in the playoffs. Chiefs gonna run through the tape.

Maybe lately because he has 100% earned it through his play but he has been doubted by the pundits his entire football life.

19 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I mean, he’s only 24 years old.  Yeah he’s not perfect but he’s still really freakin’ good.  Not everyone can be near flawless at a young age ala Mahomes

Right. And there are significantly more games where Deshaun has been great vs bad. I'd kill to have a QB as good as Deshaun has been over these last 2.5 seasons.

5 hours ago, Letsch80 said:

He has been the most criticized player in the entire league over the last couple of years.. Lol!! 

ELZZrgOUUAAUiAR.jpg

Last year Lamar took some heat because he couldn't throw a football and he's a quarterback. This year he's been amazing and nobody has said a damn thing. In fact, I'd say that for this season I'd have a hard time coming up with 5 high profile players who have been less criticized.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

I don't think this is the case anymore. Probably won't be THIS season, but if the Texans lose another home playoff game, the seat will be hot. 

I've heard rumors that the reason he'll never be fired is because he's hiding blackmail about the McNairs in the depths of his unnavigable butt-chin.

• Like 1

On one had I feel Wentz, who gets constantly criticized, is absolutely the same level QB as Watson. On the otherhand, I don't really feel like anybody puts Watson on a pedestal, so there's no reason for him to then be criticized when he has poor showings if nobody is declaring him king when he puts up great games. He seems to be pretty fairly regarded on both this board and in the media. Top 10 guy who is only going to improve. His arm is not impressive but it is good enough and that is all that matters, his touch is superb, and he has top tier scrambling ability which allows him to extend plays and make magic a la Russell. 

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

BoB is basically Marvin Lewis. Eventually, middle ground isn't going to cut it, especially if Jerruh goes off and brings in Urban Meyer or Lincoln Riley. Public outcry against BoB will be deafening.

Did you mean to say when they lose their next home playoff game? It’s coming in a few weeks. They’re playing a top defense and have a terrible defense themselves.  All I know is those Texan linebackers better dress up as Patriots for their little pre game ritual because it’s gonna be a long day in Houston come playoffs.  Bills 34-13.