Does Deshaun Watson get criticized enough?

patriotsheatyan

1 hour ago, BillSabre said:

Did you mean to say when they lose their next home playoff game? It’s coming in a few weeks. They’re playing a top defense and have a terrible defense themselves.  All I know is those Texan linebackers better dress up as Patriots for their little pre game ritual because it’s gonna be a long day in Houston come playoffs.  Bills 34-13. 

Guess we'll have to wait and see?

Honestly, losing like that would probably get BOB on the hot seat, so... Yeah, I'll take it.

Watson has his flaws. I felt he got appropriately criticized for a bad outing in the playoffs last year Vs the colts.  He's not the most refined passer yet but is still damn good, he often holds onto the ball too long, takes unnecessary hits and his arm talent is probably slightly above average. All that being said, if there were a draft of all QBs in the NFL- Deshaun is easily going top 3ish. 

He's just one of those players who is magical when on the field. He perhaps has the biggest "It" factor of all QBs.  One of the most likable superstars in the NFL. 

• Like 1

I actually think Watson is regarded appropriately. And that's part of why we don't hear as much about him one way or another. I think everyone more or less agrees on what he is. He's a very good to great QB, but he isn't quite in the elite tier. And it's just kind of a wait and see to see if he plateaus or if he takes an extra leap.

I think he's very similar to like prime Philip Rivers. He's a great QB. He's both enabled and held back by some of the situations of the team he is on. He's going to have his 2 or 3 or 4 meh games per season along with the many that he's lights out, and that's what will keep him ranked behind the HOF caliber guys around the league. But he's more than good enough to win with and better than the vast majority of QBs in the league. But since everyone knows all of that, there's not much reason for a ton of chatter and discourse around it. He's not like Dak or Wentz or Goff, who are incredibly polarizing figures. You'll find people saying they're elite and just held back and people saying that their teams shouldn't be paying them franchise QB money. So every success and disappointment gets magnified. Watson is pretty known and agreed upon. Not a lot of controversy there.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, M.10.E said:

Holds the ball too long and is a bit inconsistent are the only criticisms I can see

i attribute that to the system he plays in.  o brien is a terrible offensive mind and his offensive scheme isn't good.  if Watson was in kubiak's offense we would see way better results.  it requires you to make quick decisions.

6 hours ago, BillSabre said:

They’re playing a top defense and have a terrible defense themselves.

...wait, wait a minute!

https://sportsradio610.radio.com/blogs/brandon-scott/jj-watt-returns-to-texans-practice-from-torn-pectoral?fbclid=IwAR3HTI1FhRh1siKyTsBU9Dlw2IrOrAwl_ptQ5eENNFh0HhVnHTdB68jX3RI

That's JJ Watt's theme music! JJ Watt, coming down to the ring!

I have no idea if he is or not. In case he’s not criticized enough, I’ll give it a go...

When he got kicked in the eye and still threw a touchdown, it’s not like he was permanently blind, it was only a temporary blindness. So, like, we’re supposed to be impressed?

Also, Dabo Swinney called him the Michael Jordan of football.... but I’ve yet to see him get into any gambling trouble. So yeah, not even close.

• Like 3

I think the noise about Watson is low because most people have a good feel for what kind of QB he is. A very, very good one that is still trending up and is being restricted by BoB. Loud hype or criticism usually comes because there are ranging opinions. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I think the noise about Watson is low because most people have a good feel for what kind of QB he is. A very, very good one that is still trending up and is being restricted by BoB. Loud hype or criticism usually comes because there are ranging opinions. 

Bingo. 

Nobody is claiming him as elite, but nobody is claiming him as anything less than good. It's pretty much unanimous that he is one of the best and well rounded QBs in football.

FWIW, he seems like super likable dude too. One of my buddies went to the same college as him and drank with him a few times at a bar, allegedly. Says DeAndre is really weird though, lol.

• Like 2