WC: BUF@HOU

Manny/Patrick

30 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

You're quoting Wikipedia and I'm quoting the official nfl rulebook.

28 minutes ago, Soggust said:

This is from Wikipedia and not sourced. I'm struggling to find this verbiage in the NFL rulebook, unless I'm missing something obvious.

Okay lol, I went with wikipedia cause clearly they're sourcing the rulebook but I shall go off.

Rule 10.2 defines an invalid fair catch:

. If a player raises his hand(s) above his shoulder(s) in any other manner, it is an invalid faircatch signal. If there is an invalid fair-catch signal, the ball is dead when caught or recovered by any player of the receiving team, but it is not a fair catch. (The ball is not dead if it touches an opponent before or after it strikes the ground.

DeAndre did that. It's dead. It also went out of bounds when he threw it to the official and then they all whistled, which made it dead too as it's dead whenever an official whistles. Lol.

Edited by Drained
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, showtime said:

The Tweet from Mike Pereira should end this debate, shouldn't it?  The player clearly tossed the ball to the ref and that signals the end of the play.

To the ref who correctly evaded the live ball... The rulebook doesn't lie. I've sourced my info and no one can provide proof of "something that happens all the time".

The refs screwed up here and the ref association isn't going to call out their own guys, that are supposed to be the best.

3 minutes ago, mse326 said:

This might surprise you but those plays typically don't end up in youtube videos.

And besides the toss was the hand waving saying he wasn't returning it.

It should but some won't let it. The league created this loophole and they can't change it in the middle of the Wild Card game. If they want to be more strict, then change it in the off-season and tell teams you will emphasize kneeling it or whatever. 

Just now, marshawn lynch said:

Theyre wrong... thats what theyre trying to tell people but by their own rules you arent considered giving yourself up unless you go down to ground AND do not try to advance football.

No where in the rules does it say tossing football to official is deemed giving yourself up. That is being made up to cover the NFL tracks

Okay so, the returner cleanly catches the football during a kickoff and no defenders anywhere near him.  He waves his arms to signal he's not going to return it.  He catches the ball and then throws it to the ref and begins to walk off the field.

You want that to count as a touchdown for the Bills?  I guess that's what it would take for the Bills to win a game they were up 16-0 in the second half by.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, amazingandre said:

It should but some won't let it. The league created this loophole and they can't change it in the middle of the Wild Card game. If they want to be more strict, then change it in the off-season and tell teams you will emphasize kneeling it or whatever. 

Well now there's a precedence. So even if they don't change it they all know the correct call

1 minute ago, marshawn lynch said:

Theyre wrong... thats what theyre trying to tell people but by their own rules you arent considered giving yourself up unless you go down to ground AND do not try to advance football.

No where in the rules does it say tossing football to official is deemed giving yourself up. That is being made up to cover the NFL tracks

Yup every single ref except that one is wrong. Every one of them. Even the ones that aren't refs anymore but explain the rules to people. They are all wrong too. 

In every sport the rule book has never been the be all end all because you can't write that clearly. So there are things that are established even if the rules don't say it. This is one

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Drained said:

. If a player raises his hand(s) above his shoulder(s) in any other manner, it is an invalid faircatch signal.

He didn't do that. 

lol

3 minutes ago, Drained said:

It also went out of bounds when he threw it to the official and then they all whistled, which made it dead too as it's dead whenever an official whistles. Lol.

No it didn't

lol

1 minute ago, showtime said:

Okay so, the returner cleanly catches the football during a kickoff and no defenders anywhere near him.  He waves his arms to signal he's not going to return it.  He catches the ball and then throws it to the ref and begins to walk off the field.

You want that to count as a touchdown for the Bills?  I guess that's what it would take for the Bills to win a game they were up 16-0 in the second half by.

Its not my fault the Texans dont know the rules... thats on them. Its a TD. Doesnt matter how it comes. We have been screwed over by officials with facemask penalties all year. It would have been nice for something to fall our way once.

That was a very heads up play by our coverage team cause most players would have let that go and not realize its a live football

8 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

. If a player raises his hand(s) above his shoulder(s) in any other manner, it is an invalid faircatch signal. If there is an invalid fair-catch signal, the ball is dead when caught or recovered by any player of the receiving team, but it is not a fair catch. (The ball is not dead if it touches an opponent before or after it strikes the ground. 

Even then, we don't know what happened

Edited by Drained

Yup every single ref except that one is wrong. Every one of them. Even the ones that aren't refs anymore but explain the rules to people. They are all wrong too. 

In every sport the rule book has never been the be all end all because you can't write that clearly. So there are things that are established even if the rules don't say it. This is one

Well show me the rule were tossing the ball to an official signiefies your giving youself up... show me... wait you cant because it doesnt exist. 

There is a reason the ref in endzone signaled to the returner not to toss ball to him. Ref even gave player a warning not to do that because it wasnt a TB

But there is no example of this "precedence" other than "I think I heard a commentator say he thought it happened all the time".

Like, I'm not even a Bills fan. I don't think this is "the reason they lost" or even that "the Bills were screwed" or anything stupid. But I fail to see how this doesn't parallel to Desean Jackson dropping the ball 1 yard short. Are we making rules based on intent or by the technical law?

4 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

Well show me the rule were tossing the ball to an official signiefies your giving youself up... show me... wait you cant because it doesnt exist. 

There is a reason the ref in endzone signaled to the returner not to toss ball to him. Ref even gave player a warning not to do that because it wasnt a TB

So you are gonna ignore my last sentence.

Show me in the rule book where it says you can hold as long as you are inside the shoulders? Show me in the rule book where it says the tackle is allowed to off the line of scrimmage as long as his head is in line with the waist of the center?

1 minute ago, Soggust said:

But there is no example of this "precedence" other than "I think I heard a commentator say he thought it happened all the time".

Like, I'm not even a Bills fan. I don't think this is "the reason they lost" or even that "the Bills were screwed" or anything stupid. But I fail to see how this doesn't parallel to Desean Jackson dropping the ball 1 yard short. Are we making rules based on intent or by the technical law?

The NFL Officials and Mike Peireira confirming aren't enough for you to say that is an established thing?

Just now, mse326 said:

The NFL Officials and Mike Peireira confirming aren't enough for you to say that is an established thing?

These are same people who dont even know what a catch is... and the same people that said Jesse James catch against New England was incomplete. Officials are literally idiots and all protect one another from bad calls so they dont look bad to the public eye.