Put your name to the one coach you want.

hornbybrown

7 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

If McDaniels wants his guy as GM hopefully if he is our choice we could have a structure where Dorsey is president of football operations and McDaniels guy reports to Dorsey. 

Then what does Dorsey do?

If we want a “CEO” type, that’s depodesta.

or any guy who doesn’t wear pea coat with shorts and athletic shoes really.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Then what does Dorsey do?

If we want a “CEO” type, that’s depodesta.

or any guy who doesn’t wear pea coat with shorts and athletic shoes really.

He overseas McDaniels guy and vetoes anything he thinks is stupid. Makes sure McDaniels hasn’t just brought in a yes man

Edited by hornbybrown

15 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

He overseas McDaniels guy and vetoes anything he thinks is stupid. Makes sure McDaniels hasn’t just brought in a yes man

This sounds like pure speculation but probably not a bad variation on the theme you are discussing:

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2019/12/30/cleveland-browns-bringing-back-familiar-face/

• Like 2

With Rivera gone, I want Mcdaniels. I don’t care about what some brother in law says. I’ve seen a guy who’s offense has changed over 2 decades in style and still get it done.

Brady is old as **** and not what he was in his prime, but Mcdaniels adapted and won. Last year had me sold on his ability to adapt.

Last year against KC:

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

With Rivera gone, I want Mcdaniels. I don’t care about what some brother in law says. I’ve seen a guy who’s offense has changed over 2 decades in style and still get it done.

Brady is old as **** and not what he was in his prime, but Mcdaniels adapted and won. Last year had me sold on his ability to adapt.

Last year against KC:

After sleeping on it a night he is my 1A choice. But he needs to not be a POS.

my 1B choice would be Urban Meyer with very good assistants. The three really important ones being OC,DC and QB coach

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Cool, name that guy.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Nobody can, that’s my point.

There’s no such thing as a “proven culture builder capable of leading a franchise, etc” working as a coordinator or coach.  If they were “proven” they’d have a HC gig already and be killing it.

Every one of these guys is gamble for one reason or another.

I don’t disagree with him that we need a guy who can lead and delegate and organize more than we do an x’s and o’s coach, but it’s a whole lot easier to say that than it is to identify that guy.

That’s why teams are so bad at it.

And owners like Jimmy Haslam could ruin a wet dream.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

He can’t.

I've named some specific names of those people in many past trash posts that people no doubt averted their gaze from.  Also, have talked about a subset of STCs here and elsewhere. First set of names in thread link.. other names posted in others... added some of the others below... in the end who gives a f*** ... you all see it your way.. i see it mine...

You and I with a $200 dollar budget ($125 bucks for magic hippy dippy lettuce and booze for us and selected FF-brethren; $5 bucks for dry-erase markers; $20 bucks for a dry-erase board; and $50 for internet) could've generated the list of names currently considered for Head Coach within an hours time or less.

The list a day after Freddie's firing is not comprehensive and does not reflect what it will be when it is all said and done.

My points have always been that if you're are seeking to find a human being with uncommon traits and uncommon ability (i.e., leadership, culture, program building) it stands to reason that we should incorporate a search that seeks to interview uncommon/non-traditional sources of future NFL Head Coaching talent (College HCs with NFL Experience, College HCs, Special Teams Coordinators, Assistant Head Coaches), especially given the millions upon millions of dollars at our organizations disposal and how important the hire is.  The college game is different but there coaches get a trial run on the full-spectrum culture and program building.

Beyond college Head Coaches with NFL ties or Elite College Coaches, Special teams coaches have to work with defensive and offensive players alike and have to be attuned to situational football scenarios at all times. They have to develop fundamental coaching approaches to reach players of various body types, abilities, and skills. The best have tremendous leadership skills. We've all heard of names like Dave Toub who in the history of football data tracking (1997) have the most years in the top 10 and often top 3 DVOA Special Teams Ratings (10 years); there are others like Dave Simmons, Joe DeCamillis, Dave Fipp, that could deserve consideration to assess their program leadership skill/capacity.

The Organization has Millions of dollars, teams of various coaching search firms, lawyers, and experts at its disposal. There's a belief amongst many that coaching searchers often follow the same tired script and make the same mistakes in a cycle destined to often lead to similar results. That's often the case especially because we follow a team who's owner chooses the candidates that NFL traditionalist prefer.

I didn't think it was all that controversial to have the desire to look high and low and not just the same places we look or value as future head coaches.

Edited by Mind Character

10 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I’ve seen a guy who’s offense has changed over 2 decades in style and still get it done.

In addition to leadership this is the characteristic I want most in an HC and his staff, for that matter.

18 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

hahah ... "what some brother in law says"... 

Yeah..F-that guy and others... 

Xs and Os Prowess = Head Coaching Prowess and Leadership.

Hope your gut leads us to victory..

Good times... ahead

Edited by Mind Character

13 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

If McDaniels has matured since 2010 (by all accounts it seems he has), I'm all about him as head coach.

9 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I've named some specific names of those people in many past trash posts that people no doubt averted their gaze from.  Also, have talked about a subset of STCs here and elsewhere. First set of names in thread link.. other names posted in others... added some of the others below... in the end who gives a f*** ... you all see it your way.. i see it mine...

You and I with a $200 dollar budget ($125 bucks for magic hippy dippy lettuce and booze for us and selected FF-brethren; $5 bucks for dry-erase markers; $20 bucks for a dry-erase board; and $50 for internet) could've generated the list of names currently considered for Head Coach within an hours time or less.

The list a day after Freddie's firing is not comprehensive and does not reflect what it will be when it is all said and done.

My points have always been that if you're are seeking to find a human being with uncommon traits and uncommon ability (i.e., leadership, culture, program building) it stands to reason that we should incorporate a search that seeks to interview uncommon/non-traditional sources of future NFL Head Coaching talent (College HCs with NFL Experience, College HCs, Special Teams Coordinators, Assistant Head Coaches), especially given the millions upon millions of dollars at our organizations disposal and how important the hire is.  The college game is different but there coaches get a trial run on the full-spectrum culture and program building.

Beyond college Head Coaches with NFL ties or Elite College Coaches, Special teams coaches have to work with defensive and offensive players alike and have to be attuned to situational football scenarios at all times. They have to develop fundamental coaching approaches to reach players of various body types, abilities, and skills. The best have tremendous leadership skills. We've all heard of names like Dave Toub who in the history of football data tracking (1997) have the most years in the top 10 and often top 3 DVOA Special Teams Ratings (10 years); there are others like Dave Simmons, Joe DeCamillis, Dave Fipp, that could deserve consideration to assess their program leadership skill/capacity.

The Organization has Millions of dollars, teams of various coaching search firms, lawyers, and experts at its disposal. There's a belief amongst many that coaching searchers often follow the same tired script and make the same mistakes in a cycle destined to often lead to similar results. That's often the case especially because we follow a team who's owner chooses the candidates that NFL traditionalist prefer.

I didn't think it was all that controversial to have the desire to look high and low and not just the same places we look or value as future head coaches.

I don’t think it’s controversial, I just think you’re oversimplify a complex situation.

It’s easy to give a description of the perfect candidate, much harder to actually name that guy, with certainty.

You’re dumping all over everyone else’s preference without stating a preference of your own, specifically, just characteristics.

• Like 1

I was just listening to the ThomaHawk podcast on my way home from class and Joe Thomas made a interesting comment about Rodgers and the Packers. Joe said he thinks LeFlaur is having a great season because Him and Rodgers are treating each other as equals and have a very level relationship. The style and personality of LaFlaur fits Rodgers perfectly. That Rodgers doesn't need someone to teach him how to be a professional or how to be a QB any more. I take it that's what McCarthy was with Rodgers  and why their relationship went sour. if that’s the case it's what Baker needs. It’s exactly what he needs. If Rodgers was getting tired of McCarthy and his style of being a pro and harping about being a QB, when Rodgers is already the best QB in the league or was for him,  wouldn’t they be the exact head coach we want? Someone who will ride baker and make sure every detail is perfect and harp on the little things

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Last year against KC:

That's what intrigues me about McDaniels the most. There's arguably not a better offensive game planner in the league than McDaniels. He'll find the opposing defense's weakness and absolutely exploit it. For that aspect, I like McDaniels and that's something I would be excited about.

It's just that has he learned from his past mistakes? If we hire him, I'd certainly hope so. But I also think it'd be a disaster if we gave him too much control of the team.

Ultimately, there's no candidate who I would absolutely love, but there's certainly some I would straight up dislike. With Rivera gone, I think my top three choices are McDaniels, McCarthy and Stefanski in no particular order. There's things about all three guys to get excited about, but also things that should give anyone caution.

A guy like Lincoln Riley would obviously be an exciting hire, but I straight up don't think that's gonna happen. He'll either take the Dallas job or stay at Oklahoma.

• Like 1