Put your name to the one coach you want.

hornbybrown

41 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Talked to my b.i.l. this morning about candidates and he convinced me that I don't want Josh McDaniels high on my list as he let me know about the smoke and fire during his Broncos tenure that some of his personnel exec buddies witnessed first hand in Denver.

I had previously heard that McDaniels was an "egomaniac" via media reports, but I had never heard about some of the ridiculous things like imploding/berating janitorial and service staff, as well as shaming and berating lower level administrators on the daily as a way to express his frustrations. To me, how you treat service people or people with less power than you is s a core personality trait that you don't simply mature from once you're in your 30s. 

Also, there was the info regarding how McDaniels would walk all over the GM and attempted to get the GM fired with daily political back-stabbing moves by falsifying reports and presenting them to various members in the ownership group. 

Key veterans on the team thought McDaniels was a brilliant X's and O's coach, but couldn't connect with players at all even on a one on one level. Some players even from New England felt Josh didn't have it as a HC because he was unable to be relatable like Belichick can be in private with players.

McDaniels is a brilliant coordinator, but after the conversation.. he's off my list. 

I know for some it might be ridiculous to take a guy out of consideration for how he treats service or lower level employees in an organization, but to me that's a fatal flaw that reveals core ***-h*le-ism that likely bleeds over into other aspects of the person. His political games and inability to work with others, as well as inability to connect with players from a HC position is problematic as well.

Literally none of this surprises me. He’s a total clown.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Talked to my b.i.l. this morning about candidates and he convinced me that I don't want Josh McDaniels high on my list as he let me know about the smoke and fire during his Broncos tenure that some of his personnel exec buddies witnessed first hand in Denver.

I had previously heard that McDaniels was an "egomaniac" via media reports, but I had never heard about some of the ridiculous things like imploding/berating janitorial and service staff, as well as shaming and berating lower level administrators on the daily as a way to express his frustrations. To me, how you treat service people or people with less power than you is s a core personality trait that you don't simply mature from once you're in your 30s. 

Also, there was the info regarding how McDaniels would walk all over the GM and attempted to get the GM fired with daily political back-stabbing moves by falsifying reports and presenting them to various members in the ownership group. 

Key veterans on the team thought McDaniels was a brilliant X's and O's coach, but couldn't connect with players at all even on a one on one level. Some players even from New England felt Josh didn't have it as a HC because he was unable to be relatable like Belichick can be in private with players.

McDaniels is a brilliant coordinator, but after the conversation.. he's off my list. 

I know for some it might be ridiculous to take a guy out of consideration for how he treats service or lower level employees in an organization, but to me that's a fatal flaw that reveals core ***-h*le-ism that likely bleeds over into other aspects of the person. His political games and inability to work with others, as well as inability to connect with players from a HC position is problematic as well.

Not trying to talk myself into McDaniels here but Kyle Shanahan did similar things when he was younger. Would even complain to his dad about the food in the cafeteria to get it changed. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/kyle-shanahan-staff-inexperience-at-core-of-redskins-dysfunction/amp/

Edited by sdrawkcab321
  • Like 4

Just now, sdrawkcab321 said:

Not trying to talk myself into McDaniels here but Kyle Shanahan did similar things when he was younger. Would even complain to his dad about the food in the cafeteria to get it changed. 

Yeah, young people with their first taste of power can be arseholes.

They can also grow up.

McDaniels comes from a good family and his dad still keeps up with players he coached 2 decades ago.  Maybe the apple fell far from the tree, but that would be surprising.

17 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah, young people with their first taste of power can be arseholes.

They can also grow up.

McDaniels comes from a good family and his dad still keeps up with players he coached 2 decades ago.  Maybe the apple fell far from the tree, but that would be surprising.

Maybe.  I'm gonna save this kind of rationalization until after he's hired.  You know, like I've done a thousand times over the last 20 years lol.

Until then, he's a petty little man who I don't want coaching my favorite team.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/kyle-shanahan-staff-inexperience-at-core-of-redskins-dysfunction/amp/

I don't see the two as similar imo.

As the article states "bitching about the food, cafeteria, the field, the equipment" in private to his father and subsequently having his father fix it is completely different to me than asserting power over those without it on a daily and berating janitorial and service staff. To my knowledge, Kyle Shanahan has never been reported to have done any of that.

If you listen to Joel Bitionio, Andrew Hawkins, and Joe Thomas had to say about their time with Kyle, it's clear that he's awkward but he's able to connect with players on a one on one basis.

Maybe McDaniels can do that now as well. But the other stuff is really concerning to me at least.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mind Character said:

No 6k word dissertations on emotional reactions to stress in new situations?

Nothing about the growth and evolution of humans through time and experiential data?

giphy.gif 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

I disagree that you can’t grow out of that sort of behaviour but I also strongly agree that I don’t want anyone like that. 

but people can definitely change with time.

hate seeing people in positions of power be jerks to those below them

If it's a teenager or someone in their 20s that has critical maturing events, then yeah they can definitely grow out of that.

But McDaniels I think was 34 years old at the time. If you do that at 34 years old, it'll likely be a part of you at 42. Maybe it's been overcome to some extent but it may reveal a core aspect of personality.

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

No 6k word dissertations on emotional reactions to stress in new situations?

Nothing about the growth and evolution of humans through time and experiential data?

giphy.gif 

2019 has broken all of us it would appear.

• Like 1

Put me down for Robert Saleh as my top choice.  I would love to have someone have an amazing defense for once.  

Usually defensive guys like to run the ball too. 

*I was at work all day and didn’t read anything except this site in the morning.  If he isn’t available sorry.