Everything Free Agency (Rumors, notes and news)

RaidersAreOne

7 hours ago, Forge said:

Jeez, their cap must be in worse shape than I thought. You should be able to find 10 Mill shaking out couch cushions. Oof. 

The only reason the cap is in bad shape is because of the 2019 off-season Free Agent offensive linemen signings that blew up in their face. If we had held steady in 2019, we'd be fine right now.

7 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Not to mention although I think Hooper is a rock solid TE (and a guy I hope the Jaguars look at if he hits the market), his receiving production has been more system/Julio and Ridley taking the attention than Hooper balling.

This is not a great take (especially with regards to system) but I understand where it comes from. Let me explain.

Dirk Koetter's """system""" is basic Air Coryell principals. I say basic, because it's a very basic scheme. Dirk doesn't dress up his offense in any way or do anything fancy. What you see is what you get - his offense relies on guys out-athleting their matchups against the defense. If they are unable to do so, the offense completely stagnates. Dirk doesn't really believe in scheming WRs open or anything. If the defense is doing something fancy and the offense has a hard time recognizing it, well, it's going to get ugly because nothing Dirk will do will get past it. If the defense manages to have superior athletes compared to our offense... we're basically screwed. Dirk won't and doesn't believe in modern offensive concepts to open up the passing game against superior defensive talent. Dirk doesn't believe in play-action, Dirk doesn't believe in rub routes, he doesn't believe in Yankee concepts, or really anything that you can ascribe to a modern NFL offense. The most complicated thing about Dirk's offense is how much Dirk loves option routes.

So to be frank, there really isn't much of an offensive system in Atlanta. This is why keeping Hooper is absolutely imperative for the Falcons in 2020. Because Koetter doesn't scheme guys open - the Falcons must have superior athletes at every position if they want to score points. And their offense was still kind of mediocre in 2019! If we let Hooper go, the Falcons offense will probably be a bottom 10 unit in 2020. "Why would the Falcons have a bad offense if they have Matt, Julio and Ridley still?" Case in point - that's a function of how Dirk Koetter coaches offense in the modern NFL. He doesn't dress anything up, or scheme guys open - so if you're not giving Dirk Koetter 10/10 athletes at every level, his offense is going to seriously crumble. What happens if you give Dirk Koetter an offense full of 10/10 athletes? Eh, it's kind of average/mediocre, honestly.

As for Hooper getting a bunch of targets vs. underneath coverage, that too is a function of Dirk's offense, but that's more of a 3rd order function. Basically, Dirk wants one WR to be going deep on every play in an attempt to stretch the field. In order for those deep shots to be hit, you need a great pass blocking offensive line (which we don't have). Dirk also doesn't scheme his WRs open, so it takes a longer period of time for WRs to actually get open than it would with a more competent Offensive Coorindator - this creates more strain on the pass blocking than it would in other offensive systems. So you can have games where teams double Julio and double Ridley and play man coverage vs. everyone else. Since this creates a lot of strain on the pass blocking, what usually happens is in the face of pressure, Matt is chucking it to his hot read (which is almost always Hooper) because he doesn't have the time to wait for Julio or Ridley to beat double coverage. And I think Hooper has performed excellently in this role. This is also why it's critical to keep him, because you're going to need that athletic tight end who can sometimes make guys miss on these hot read throws to pick up cheap first downs.

If the Atlanta Falcons don't resign Hooper, Dimitrioff should be immediately fired for throwing away 2020. There is absolutely no way the Falcons can be successful on offense in 2020 without Hooper on the roster. That's kind of an indictment on Dirk Koetter as an offensive mind, but it is what it is. If you've read all this and wondered why the hell Dirk Koetter kept his job going into 2020 despite being so trash, welcome to the life of a Falcons fan, hope you enjoyed your stay.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Well this didn't age well.

On an unrelated note...is Rivers done in LA?

Without a doubt, the move to Florida with his family solidified that. If they Franchise him for some ungodly reason (BS if they do) , He will retire IMO.

They had every opportunity to want him back even on a short 1-2 year extension and let it play out basically showing him the door. Yes, He's done in LA.

9 hours ago, Forge said:

Jeez, their cap must be in worse shape than I thought. You should be able to find 10 Mill shaking out couch cushions. Oof. 

It's really not though. Expect them to cut Freeman, Stocker, Bailey, see Carpenter retire and peace out with De'Vondre Campbell and Vic Beasley. Hooper will be back though.

2 hours ago, Hukos said:

The only reason the cap is in bad shape is because of the 2019 off-season Free Agent offensive linemen signings that blew up in their face. If we had held steady in 2019, we'd be fine right now.

This is not a great take (especially with regards to system) but I understand where it comes from. Let me explain.

Dirk Koetter's """system""" is basic Air Coryell principals. I say basic, because it's a very basic scheme. Dirk doesn't dress up his offense in any way or do anything fancy. What you see is what you get - his offense relies on guys out-athleting their matchups against the defense. If they are unable to do so, the offense completely stagnates. Dirk doesn't really believe in scheming WRs open or anything. If the defense is doing something fancy and the offense has a hard time recognizing it, well, it's going to get ugly because nothing Dirk will do will get past it. If the defense manages to have superior athletes compared to our offense... we're basically screwed. Dirk won't and doesn't believe in modern offensive concepts to open up the passing game against superior defensive talent. Dirk doesn't believe in play-action, Dirk doesn't believe in rub routes, he doesn't believe in Yankee concepts, or really anything that you can ascribe to a modern NFL offense. The most complicated thing about Dirk's offense is how much Dirk loves option routes.

So to be frank, there really isn't much of an offensive system in Atlanta. This is why keeping Hooper is absolutely imperative for the Falcons in 2020. Because Koetter doesn't scheme guys open - the Falcons must have superior athletes at every position if they want to score points. And their offense was still kind of mediocre in 2019! If we let Hooper go, the Falcons offense will probably be a bottom 10 unit in 2020. "Why would the Falcons have a bad offense if they have Matt, Julio and Ridley still?" Case in point - that's a function of how Dirk Koetter coaches offense in the modern NFL. He doesn't dress anything up, or scheme guys open - so if you're not giving Dirk Koetter 10/10 athletes at every level, his offense is going to seriously crumble. What happens if you give Dirk Koetter an offense full of 10/10 athletes? Eh, it's kind of average/mediocre, honestly.

As for Hooper getting a bunch of targets vs. underneath coverage, that too is a function of Dirk's offense, but that's more of a 3rd order function. Basically, Dirk wants one WR to be going deep on every play in an attempt to stretch the field. In order for those deep shots to be hit, you need a great pass blocking offensive line (which we don't have). Dirk also doesn't scheme his WRs open, so it takes a longer period of time for WRs to actually get open than it would with a more competent Offensive Coorindator - this creates more strain on the pass blocking than it would in other offensive systems. So you can have games where teams double Julio and double Ridley and play man coverage vs. everyone else. Since this creates a lot of strain on the pass blocking, what usually happens is in the face of pressure, Matt is chucking it to his hot read (which is almost always Hooper) because he doesn't have the time to wait for Julio or Ridley to beat double coverage. And I think Hooper has performed excellently in this role. This is also why it's critical to keep him, because you're going to need that athletic tight end who can sometimes make guys miss on these hot read throws to pick up cheap first downs.

If the Atlanta Falcons don't resign Hooper, Dimitrioff should be immediately fired for throwing away 2020. There is absolutely no way the Falcons can be successful on offense in 2020 without Hooper on the roster. That's kind of an indictment on Dirk Koetter as an offensive mind, but it is what it is. If you've read all this and wondered why the hell Dirk Koetter kept his job going into 2020 despite being so trash, welcome to the life of a Falcons fan, hope you enjoyed your stay.

This might be the best breakdown of a Dirk Koetter offense I've ever read.

3 hours ago, Hukos said:

Those stats date back to before Koetter called plays to be fair. It's not just last year, it's since 2016. Koetter just took over last season.

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

Can't reveal that source. But Hooper ain't going anywhere. 

Odd for the GM to say it's unlikely to happen a week ago and now you're saying it is.

Going to go for the wait and see approach on this one I think.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Those stats date back to before Koetter called plays to be fair. It's not just last year, it's since 2016. Koetter just took over last season.

Odd for the GM to say it's unlikely to happen a week ago and now you're saying it is.

Going to go for the wait and see approach on this one I think.

You really think NFL teams say everything they are thinking? He also declined to say whether he was going to franchise tag Grady Jarrett up until the minute he did it last year. It's the nature of the beast.

11 minutes ago, scar988 said:

You really think NFL teams say everything they are thinking? He also declined to say whether he was going to franchise tag Grady Jarrett up until the minute he did it last year. It's the nature of the beast.

Refusing to say and specifically saying "it's not a very realistic option for us" is two entirely different things.

10 minutes ago, scar988 said:

You're missing the point. He said the same thing with Jarrett.

Where do you see that? I saw that Dimitroff was largely saying they fully plan on getting a deal done regardless of tag or not with Jarrett. That's not nearly the same tone he's had with the Hooper situation. With Hooper they said they're "trudging along" and seeing if they can make it work (along with the tag not being realistic).

Regardless, based on his literal words + insider reports saying that they don't think the tag is realistic (Mike Garafolo just said it a week ago) I'd say I doubt he ends up back there but I guess we'll have to wait and see. But considering they haven't even talked to him/exchanged offers gives me hesitations on the likelihood of them getting a deal done before FA.

Edited by .Buzz
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Refusing to say and specifically saying "it's not a very realistic option for us" is two entirely different things.

GMs are like Poker players.  They're not going to reveal their hand.  What does Dimitroff gain by saying that he thinks they can hammer a deal with Hooper?  Nothing.  It's just GM speak.

Just now, CWood21 said:

GMs are like Poker players.  They're not going to reveal their hand.  What does Dimitroff gain by saying that he thinks they can hammer a deal with Hooper?  Nothing.  It's just GM speak.

Sure, but I'm not sure what that really accomplishes. Again, why not just say we'll see or we're still processing things instead of outright saying it's unlikely? 

But ultimately, it's more so most reports from credible insiders saying the tag isn't likely as Garafolo stated last week. 

45 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Where do you see that? I saw that Dimitroff was largely saying they fully plan on getting a deal done regardless of tag or not with Jarrett. That's not nearly the same tone he's had with the Hooper situation. With Hooper they said they're "trudging along" and seeing if they can make it work (along with the tag not being realistic).

Regardless, based on his literal words + insider reports saying that they don't think the tag is realistic (Mike Garafolo just said it a week ago) I'd say I doubt he ends up back there but I guess we'll have to wait and see. But considering they haven't even talked to him/exchanged offers gives me hesitations on the likelihood of them getting a deal done before FA.

They haven't offered him anything because they've been doing an internal review with Rich McKay since the season ended that Blank mandated after going 7-9. They haven't negotiated with anyone except for cursory talks with Rosenhaus on Campbell. But that doesn't mean they aren't making any offers. They said they would start negotiating after the Super Bowl in all of these interviews you keep referencing. That's what they'll do. They have 5 weeks to get a deal done, 3-4 before the franchise tag deadline. They'll either get something done or cut a couple of guys and tag him.