Poll: MM a good choice as next Dallas Cowboy Head Coach?

perrynoid

Would Mike McCarthy make a good choice to be the next head coach of the Dallas Cowboys?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Just wondering if Packer Nation thinks MM might make a good HC of the Dallas Cowboys? Why, or why not?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but only if he has a good DC
    • Other; please state your rationale below

33 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

I'm seeing a lot of negative emotions, ranging from disrespect to outright hate, for a coach that brought far more good years than bad and that hasn't been with us for a year now. It's kinda sad really.

Don't worry, all these same people will hate Matt one day just like this. It's just some sort of personality trait they have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

The thing that gets me the most is how we were so devoid of talent and roster turnover and all that and he brings up every ****ing season how there are 75 billion new players on our team, but simultaneously he hates McCarthy.  Because why?  

It was always the conundrum that critics of GB's 2010 regime faced: 

- Thompson doesn't bring in any talent and is a ****ty GM

- McCarthy can't coach and the team underachieves

- Rodgers is overrated and can't close games 

At least one of those things would have had to be incorrect for GB to be an average team, and they were above-average for the bulk of that run. 

21 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Except they aren't jokes. McCarthy is going to run his FB far more than he should and he's going to say the words "pad level" a mind boggling amount of times. I'll make sure and @incognito_man you every time both happen. Sound good?

I bet he actually doesn't run with the FB much just with the couple guys he has there.

21 minutes ago, Golfman said:

This, but I don't know if he can help himself. He's the king of defensive timeouts with 2 minutes to go in the half and the 32nd ranked defense on the field. 

That's the issue with MM - did he learn from his ouster and year off? Or is he arrogant enough to believe he can just step in and win? 

I always called McCarthy a "Mon-Sat" coach, as far as his teams usually looked prepared, and didn't make an excessive amount of stupid penalties or turnovers. Looking at Dallas' schedule, the only game where they should be a dog is the opener vs Baltimore (tough games vs Pitt, @LA, and @ Sea, plus vs/@Phi as well). So MM better get them to the playoffs in year 1. 

Just now, Mr Bad Example said:

That's the issue with MM - did he learn from his ouster and year off? Or is he arrogant enough to believe he can just step in and win? 

I always called McCarthy a "Mon-Sat" coach, as far as his teams usually looked prepared, and didn't make an excessive amount of stupid penalties or turnovers. Looking at Dallas' schedule, the only game where they should be a dog is the opener vs Baltimore (tough games vs Pitt, @LA, and @ Sea, plus vs/@Phi as well). So MM better get them to the playoffs in year 1. 

Yeah, it is so hard to tell from one year to the next who is going to be what. I haven't looked at their schedule but I"m guessing a few of those bad teams in 2019 turn out to be pretty good in 2020. 

He absolutely could get them into the playoffs though. 4 of his games are against two teams who likely won't be a lot better in Washington and the Giants. Puts him 40% of the way there, maybe 50% in his division. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Golfman said:

He absolutely could get them into the playoffs though. 4 of his games are against two teams who likely won't be a lot better in Washington and the Giants. Puts him 40% of the way there, maybe 50% in his division. 

I had him at 7 "easy" wins - 4 NYG/Was, Cinci, Atl, Cle. Maybe Arizona to make it 8. I forgot about SF @ Jerry World. But there are only 2 games (Bal, SF) where I don't think Dallas will be favoured, all things being equal. So 8-2 with my toss-ups being the 2 Phi games, @LA Rams, Sea, @Min, Pitt. 

6 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Not that it matters but a couple of guys on First take ripped this hiring. Stephen A and Rex Ryan were pretty brutal in regards go McCarthy. Time will tell, but for me, hard to root for anything Dallas Cowboy wise! 

Stephen A Smith coming out against something makes me think it is a good move. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Norm said:

I bet he actually doesn't run with the FB much just with the couple guys he has there.

Oh you just wait.

The happiest person in the building right now down there at Jerryland should be some dude named Jamize Olawale.

Edited by Mr Anonymous

McCarthy getting to coach 2 of the most storied franchises in GB and Dallas has gotta be fun. It's a really good landing spot for him considering that roster is already pretty good and they got a good QB in his prime. Partly relieved he didn't end up in Cleveland, even though he was probably the perfect hire there since he'd stabilize that moribund franchise

If he keeps Kellen Moore as playcaller, then I really like it for both Mike and for the Cowboys.

1 hour ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I had him at 7 "easy" wins - 4 NYG/Was, Cinci, Atl, Cle. Maybe Arizona to make it 8. I forgot about SF @ Jerry World. But there are only 2 games (Bal, SF) where I don't think Dallas will be favoured, all things being equal. So 8-2 with my toss-ups being the 2 Phi games, @LA Rams, Sea, @Min, Pitt. 

I can't concede any of those games. Atlanta was playing really well at the end of the year. Arizona year two with their QB and Cleveland has a ton of talent if they get a coach that can contain it. 

CLE being run by a MLB analytics guy with reactionary owners seems like a bit of a mess. Even with Jerry looking over his shoulder, I think DAL is a better landing spot for MM.  If Nolan is going to run the defense, this is about as good of a scenario as he could have hoped for.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 2