Poll: MM a good choice as next Dallas Cowboy Head Coach?

perrynoid

Would Mike McCarthy make a good choice to be the next head coach of the Dallas Cowboys?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Just wondering if Packer Nation thinks MM might make a good HC of the Dallas Cowboys? Why, or why not?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but only if he has a good DC
    • Other; please state your rationale below

58 minutes ago, GalenaPackFan said:

I don't think he'll fold. Too good for that. Just wondering about his relationship to the media.

He'll do fine. He did fine in GB. Fans chose to make fun of him or pick some of his sentences apart - cause thats what fans do - they pick at the little **** - but his relationship and handling of media requirements was fine.

He never had a "Playoffs???" moment. He never had a *moment* - which is exactly what you want. He never became the story - which is perfect.

Cant say that about Rex Ryan now can we? He was supposed to some media maven and he worked hard to push the NYGs off the back pages of the newpapers. Too hard. He couldnt / wouldnt shut his mouth. HE became the story - which you never want.

BB basically spits on the NE press corps and he gets nothing but "Greatest HC alive" accolades and NEVER is his role with the media alluded to have some effect on the team's performance - which is what you want and what MM provides. 

MM spoke to the media - daily. In fact, in GB he was forced to be the face of the franchise on a whole list of stuff that should have put the GM in front of the mike - but didnt - and he did fine. 

Again - Aaron Boone is as even keeled and low key as MM and he's handled the NY media in a tougher spot than NYG HC.

• Like 1

MM was a good coach but for sure made his share of mistakes.  Shuffling around the staff was boneheaded.  Making Edgar Bennett OC was boneheaded. He became complacent.  He hired Pettine and Philbin but it was too  late.  Really you want to know what did him in?  Injuries every single year.  I mean every year our team was decimated.  It's hard to win with half of your starters out.  This was a re occurring theme throughout his time here.  So he's gone and now we have had an incredible year health wise.  Is it Gizzi?  Is it MLF's practice schedule?  Something changed and it's not all just luck.  MM never addressed the issue and it cost him.

Other reason he was let go is because he lost the team.  Anyone who watched the AZ game saw it.  Laid an egg at home against one of the worst teams in the league.  We were not dead at that point either.  Rodgers and MM's relationship toxic?  Can't really say but sure looked like Rodgers tanked that last game.  Murphy wasted no time pulling the plug.

Despite all of this I think MM will do well in Dallas.  Hopefully he's had time to reflect and won't repeat his mistakes he made in GB.  He brought home the Lombardi trophy and for that I'll be forever grateful and wish him the best.  

6 minutes ago, Golfman said:

From a health standpoint, McCarthy needs to lose some weight. He was twice as wide/big as Jerry Jones in that news conference. He's always been a large man, but he's getting way to big. Needs to get that under control for himself. 

Why does this need to be said?

1 minute ago, Norm said:

1. Observation

2. I don't want to see the guy die. 

3. I felt like it. 

4. Why do you get to decide what does and does not get said? 

BTW, same thing for Andy Reid and Matt Patricia. They have the availability to the best dietitians, training programs and facilities. I know the stress, pressures they are under but take a little time to take care of yourself a little better.  

Edited by Golfman

21 minutes ago, Norm said:

I have the poster blocked, but I actually said pretty much the same thing a few weeks ago. Just said that MM looks like he hasn't aged well since leaving the sidelines. Don't think it's shaming to recognize and point out that he looks unhealthy IMO.

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I have the poster blocked, but I actually said pretty much the same thing a few weeks ago. Just said that MM looks like he hasn't aged well since leaving the sidelines. Don't think it's shaming to recognize and point out that he looks unhealthy IMO.

Does he really look bigger? I watched some of the stuff lately and it didn't seem any different. Maybe just because I'm becoming a fat boy myself I'm irritated lol

I get the "aged" part though, he looks much older than I picture him in my brain.

Edited by Norm

2 minutes ago, Norm said:

Does he really look bigger? I watched some of the stuff lately and it didn't seem any different. Maybe just because I'm becoming a fat boy myself I'm irritated lol

I get the "aged" part though, he looks much older than I picture him in my brain.

I was taken aback by how much he seemed to have aged and weight he seemed to have gained when I saw his interview a few weeks back. Felt it was significant, and I just meant I hope for his sake he was doing well because I'm rooting for him.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I was taken aback by how much he seemed to have aged and weight he seemed to have gained when I saw his interview a few weeks back. Felt it was significant, and I just meant I hope for his sake he was doing well because I'm rooting for him.

Would have anyways but the old lady is a DAL fan too and it's better for me when they've won so it's a double whammy now if he does. 

I'm sure he'll lose some back to those 300000 hours weeks again.

Mike was mike in the press conference. But honestly given the rumored names he is hiring... I just don’t see them being ahead of the “ trend ”. Plus he was clearly forced to keep Moore as OC.  And given some of the discussions about life with McCarthy in GB and how Ryan Grant said they basically ignored practicing running plays etc. I just don’t see how a person changes THOSE things.

You are either Bill Belicheck and thats in your DNA where you do it naturally... or you are mike and you have your stuff and that’s what you do.

His main thing is he will have the benefit of an owner and the benefit of that owner not afraid to go out and get you players if you feel the talent isn’t there. He will always have a healthy amount of talent in Dallas. And McCarthy will always have them in position to compete in the playoffs... but like GB he might just always come up short.