Poll: MM a good choice as next Dallas Cowboy Head Coach?

perrynoid

Would Mike McCarthy make a good choice to be the next head coach of the Dallas Cowboys?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Just wondering if Packer Nation thinks MM might make a good HC of the Dallas Cowboys? Why, or why not?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but only if he has a good DC
    • Other; please state your rationale below

11 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

"McCarthy will not only have greater input on roster decisions than he did in Green Bay but will hold as much influence in this area as Bill Parcells did three coaches ago in Dallas, according to Michael Gehlken of the Dallas Morning News and Ed Werder of ESPN.com (Twitter links). It was not a secret McCarthy and ex-Packers GM Ted Thompson did not see eye to eye on the latter’s aversion to free agency additions."

https://www.profootballrumors.com/

Why post this?

3 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

For those interested here is a link to which coaches might be part of McCarthy's team, as he assembles his staff.........it looks to me like he is putting a decent group together -  especially the ST coach ! !!

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/mike-mccarthys-cowboys-coaching-staff-in-2020-whos-in-whos-out-and-who-might-be-on-the-way-to-dallas/

John Fassel has been an excellent STs coach and this does look like a really good hire by MM for his new staff in Dallas.

Perhaps MM has learned that hiring unqualified buddies to be STs coordinators, as he did twice in Green Bay, leads, unsurprisingly, to consistently crappy STs play.

Or maybe MM is just taking the whole hiring competent staff more seriously now that he has his dream job with the Cowboys.

Other-

He will elevate Dak, which should increase offensive output overall. He will elevate Cobb, who now becomes FAR more likely to be back in Dallas. He will elevate WR play.

Offense never got production out of TE or RB position consistently. Zeke’s value falling there production wise, maybe not. He never had anything close to Zeke in GB. 

Classic case of frustrating time outs and poor clock management. When his offense misses, it can lead to 20 second three and outs which makes his own defense tire.

Won the turnover battle BIG in his best GB years, thanks to his QBs ball security.

His defense is whomever you hire as DC. He will not be hands on Defensively. That’s between Jerrah and the DC.

1 minute ago, ChaRisMa said:

Other-

He will elevate Dak, which should increase offensive output overall. He will elevate Cobb, who now becomes FAR more likely to be back in Dallas. He will elevate WR play.

Offense never got production out of TE or RB position consistently. Zeke’s value falling there production wise, maybe not. He never had anything close to Zeke in GB. 

Classic case of frustrating time outs and poor clock management. When his offense misses, it can lead to 20 second three and outs which makes his own defense tire.

Won the turnover battle BIG in his best GB years, thanks to his QBs ball security.

His defense is whomever you hire as DC. He will not be hands on Defensively. That’s between Jerrah and the DC.

We're not down with this?

29 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Kellen Moore will apparently call plays next year... any body think this was truly McCarthy’s choice?

Same ol cowboys and Jerry.

I mean, they were the most efficient offense in football this year. I wouldn't be racing to replace that. Why not give it another year and see if you can improve even more?

1 hour ago, Cheesehawk said:

I mean, they were the most efficient offense in football this year. I wouldn't be racing to replace that. Why not give it another year and see if you can improve even more?

Because is it going to be the same scheme? Is mike learning Moore’s offense? And didn’t Mike famously say he would never give up play calling again after he did that here?

Just seems weird... 

I think people make mountains out of the molehill of a new coach being requested to keep on an assistant. 

Obviously I'm not in the room, but I would expect it is much less "KEEP THIS GUY OR YOU DON'T GET HIRED" and more "we really like this assistant, can you sit down and see if you think you could work together?" 

On 1/5/2020 at 11:33 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

3. Wonderful, fans wanted us to run Jones more. That has nothing to do with whether or not we were using Montgomery as a feature back. 

3b. Fans aren't complaining for Jones more because we're winning games and aren't looking for reasons to hate on and fire the coach. Jones in the second half of 2018 was playing the same reps as he has been in 2019. And let the record reflect, he ended up getting hurt in 2018.

If LaFleur was in his 4th year, we would all be complaining that he doesn't use modern concepts like the no huddle, runs too much on second down, and insists on playing non-threatening skill players like Marcedes Lewis way too much. 

4. I can say that we should fire LaFleur right now. That doesn't mean that by the time it needs to happen in 2027 that I can claim I was right. 

5. We needed to do something different because the working relationship between Rodgers and McCarthy had become toxic. Rodgers contract and overall value to the organization made him less replacable than McCarthy. 

6. Why would you say the offense controls the ball better and wind the TOP battle better? Our average drive length is only up 9 seconds. From 2:42 to 2:51 and that's due to running the ball more, not because we're giving the defense more time to actually rest. 

We ran 1051 defensive snaps this year. We ran 1064 last year. Less than 1 snap per game difference. 

(Just to make this "saved" post go away...)

These are such weaselly responses

3. -.- some other guy said that about Montgomery, not me

3b. No it's because MM was not using him enough, regardless whether the stats reflect that or not. No RB1 averages over 5 ypc like Jones did last year. That kind of ypc is consistent with change-of-pace rushers, not #1 guys, with Jamaal Charles and record-breakers like AP/CJ2K being the only exceptions.

And no, a coach does not have to be on the hot seat for people to validly criticize him. I was criticizing that about him before he was on the hot-seat.

4. Yeah, kind of a big difference between saying it 7 years in advance versus saying during the season when the team is playing awful.

:|

5. Oh lol of course, because making it about Rodgers's "toxic" relationship with McCarthy puts the reasoning firmly in the realm of conjecture rather than any notion that the coach was incompetent/mediocrity. So, not really for firing him, just resigning to the reality that it was inevitable. Damn, that must sting ^_^

6. I was largely just spitballing with alternative explanations that the stats would not reflect, but I looked it up just now and our ranking league-wide jumped up from 21st in the league to 5th place. So that "small" difference still beats all but four teams right now, whereas all but 11 were beating us last year.

You keep focusing on context-devoid, macro-level stuff because it reinforces the narrative that Rodgers is the problem and not MM's coaching. Well hmm, who was coaching Rodgers when he became the problem!?

Who was helpless when he had to play without Rodgers, whose only adjustment for a new QB's skill-set was to call endless swing-passes and then going back to the usual scheme/plays, despite supposedly being a QB guru (then publicly threw him under the bus for not "preparing" well enough ... which somehow does not seem like adequate explanation for why the backup was not serviceable)?

Edited by Gopher Trace