Poll: MM a good choice as next Dallas Cowboy Head Coach?

perrynoid

Would Mike McCarthy make a good choice to be the next head coach of the Dallas Cowboys?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Just wondering if Packer Nation thinks MM might make a good HC of the Dallas Cowboys? Why, or why not?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but only if he has a good DC
    • Other; please state your rationale below

11 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Can't wait to see how much of Mac's staff in Green Bay joins him in Dallas.

Would love to see Associate Head Coach Winston Moss dealing with the media spotlight that follows the Cowboys.

Dom for Defensive Coordinator (Jags can't block him)?

Philbin for OC (currently unemployed)? McAdoo? Raiders can't prevent WR coach Bennett from re-joining Mac.

Zookie or Slocum for STs Coordinator?

And when zero of this happens? First he'd never get hired again, now he'll just hire goons. Just keep doubling down until you can look right eh?

Moss took a GM/HC job in the XFL as well.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Would love to see Associate Head Coach Winston Moss dealing with the media spotlight that follows the Cowboys.

Philbin for OC (currently unemployed)? McAdoo? Raiders can't prevent WR coach Bennett from re-joining Mac.

Feel better now?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheOnlyThing said:

57 minutes ago, Norm said:

And when zero of this happens? First he'd never get hired again, now he'll just hire goons. Just keep doubling down until you can look right eh?

Moss took a GM/HC job in the XFL as well.

34 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Feel better now?

Say what you will, this one was good. Same with McAdoo but he's not leaving the position of PC Principal.

Image result for winston moss gif packers

• Like 3

Well this should be interesting now! Let's see how he does with the talent in Dallas and Jerry Jones always chiming in telling! 

I think McCarthy's downfall will be bringing in a bunch of coaches whose day has past. That interview where he had his team in place is troubling because he had a room full of coaches who nobody else wanted. 

40 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Did they offer Lincoln Riley?  I’m just curious if he turned them down and then they went with MM or if they chose MM outright.  

I read somewhere this morning that Jerry said early on he wasn't interested in college coaches.  He apparently thinks they have a roster that can win now and wanted an experienced NFL head coach. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gopher Trace said:

Enough with the revisionist history, let's get with the facts:
1) He interviewed (with two different teams: NYJ and CLE -- where CLE had a FO that was already very familiar with him).
2) He did not get hired.

That's it. That's all we know, no further. Frankly, I can live with "He didn't get hired, and we don't know why not." I think I know why but I am perfectly able to admit I do not know for sure.

If you want to bring up history, a significant addition to his worthiness to be hired, is that he hired a group of guys to work with him in 2019, both to look into recent game NFL trends and to apply some of that to modernise his playbook. A year off may have really helped him.............or it may not help him at all. We have to wait and see what happens.

• Like 2

JJ isn't getting any younger and Mike McCarthy brings him a great chance at a Super Bowl sooner rather than later.  This is a good move for them.  It would be really cool to see a Dallas/GB post season game next season.  Now if JJ can just remove himself from the weekly process...….

19 hours ago, Norm said:

He's not an elite coach but he isn't bad either.

He might be an elite coach!

Packer fans can't be the ones to make that call though.  Just too close to the situation to be impartial.  Know too many of the nitty gritty details - both good and bad.

In my opinion, the measure of a coach is borne out by the league-impacting innovation they create, the big time playcalls they make, success of the team, and the respect they earn from their players and fellow coaches.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

In my opinion, the measure of a coach is borne out by the league-impacting innovation they create, the big time playcalls they make, success of the team, and the respect they earn from their players and fellow coaches.

Agree with much of this.

Another measure of a HEAD coach (or the HEAD of any organization) is the staff he (or she) surrounds himself with.

1 minute ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Agree with much of this.

Another measure of a HEAD coach (or the HEAD of any organization) is the staff he (or she) surrounds himself with.

This was always McCarthy's weakest aspect.  He made one good hire: Dom Capers.  Then he was so successful so quickly that he refused to adapt his staff in any kind of proactive manner.  By 2012 he was entirely reactionary in how he managed his staff.  Usually 1-2 years behind what everyone else in the NFL knew about his staff (except the giants and dolphins lol).

• Like 1

I thought Cleveland would have been a better fit for MM and vice-versa. A lot of young, upcoming talent he could form. Implement discipline/stability. Has that young gunslinger in Mayfield he could mold. Couple stud wide outs (under contract) his ISO offense could still be used to a degree. Young TE, if healthy to stretch the field. Familiar faces in the organization. He would've had a say in the GM. Wouldn't constantly be in the national spotlight or under Jerry's thumb. Cleveland is that blue collar city not too far away from Pittsburgh and his roots. What do I know though.

I think this is a intriguing hire.  Jerruh is more proactive than anyone MM had over him before.

I wonder if Jerruh needed Dak's approval to hire MM or if that doesn't happen until you're actually making 15-17% of the salary cap?!?