Divisional Round: MIN@SF (1:35PM PST)

Manny/Patrick

14 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

49er fans, I actually discovered the 49ers have a worse rush defense than the Saints did, allowing 4.5 ypc (vs the Saints 4.2 ypc), does this have to do with the injuries to Dee Ford, Jaquiski Tartt or Kwon Alexander? Or are the 49ers just a below average rush defense?

We were never amazing against the run, but DJ Jones was great, but he’s out now.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I get a weird vibe from this Vikings team. 

I think it will be them vs Green Bay in the NFC Championship.

They were slept on a little because they were just a step behind (record wise) the big guys. It's my team against a team I was bullish on preseason. Frustrating for me lol

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nozizaki said:

49er fans, I actually discovered the 49ers have a worse rush defense than the Saints did, allowing 4.5 ypc (vs the Saints 4.2 ypc), does this have to do with the injuries to Dee Ford, Jaquiski Tartt or Kwon Alexander? Or are the 49ers just a below average rush defense?

It's because the niners gave up 167 yards passing per game 

#1 pass defense, and the second best from a pypg in the last 15 years I believe 

Before week 10 we were giving up 135 pypg and had a few games where we would win by two scores and the other team would have less than 100 passing yards. Which is unreal 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nozizaki said:

That stat is pretty deceiving, i'd say they've been pretty good against the run especially in short yardage and in the redzone. QB's Wilson, Murray, and Lamar put up 300 yards on them so they struggle when qb's are involved in the run game but they only allowed 2-100 yard games to runningbacks this year (McCaffery, Drake). 

9 minutes ago, N4L said:

Before week 10 we were giving up 135 pypg and had a few games where we would win by two scores and the other team would have less than 100 passing yards. Which is unreal 

A potential all time great D ruined by injuries

I’m predicting the Vikings to win this game. I think the Vikings defense has all the tools of an elite defense but weren't playing up to their potential in the regular season, in the post season however they’ve shown to form. I see two very similar squads where each offense comes from a Shanahan disciple. The defenses for both squads I think can really get after the QB and create turnovers, though Jimmy G I feel is the more turnover prone QB. His mistakes should lead to some shorter fields for the Vikings to take advantage of and upset the 49ers.

I predict something like; 23-17, Vikings.

6 hours ago, N4L said:

I actually was thinking it was a product of their schedule.

The Seahawks have a commitment to running the ball. In their 2 games against Seattle alone the 49ers gave up 147 yards (4.3 ypc) and 125 yards (4.2 ypc), in chronological order. The key difference in rushing between the games was Wilson himself, torching the 49ers for 53 yards on just 6 rushes in the Seahawks OT win, but rushing for a pedestrian 29 yards on 8 carriers in the Week 17 rematch.

But the team SF fits running the ball was Arizona, where Kenyan Drake and Kyler Murray ate them alive from what I assume was a commitment to stop Kyler Murray from keeping the ball on any zone read concepts. Drake ran for 110 yards on 15 carries (7.3 ypc) but Murray also got 34 yards on just 5 carries (6.8 ypc), this was not only Drake's first game as a Cardinal, but the first time Saleh and company got a chance to stifle Kliff Kingsbury's offense. Two weeks later, Kyler ran for 67 yards on 8 carries (8.4 ypc) but Drake had a much more modest 67 yards on 16 carries (4.2 ypc) in the rematch.

While the Vikings have a similar commitment to running the ball, I'd expect similar numbers to these games, if you removed Wilson's yardage, which would be sub 100 yards. I'd love to say Dalvin Cook can break one, since he is most similar to Alvin Kamara in running style, where despite having little to no power to break tackles, he is so agile that no one ever gets a good angle on him. However, in the New Orleans game, Latavius Murray was the far more effective runner, so Alexander Mattison may also get 10+ carries to effectively run in this game.

If I were guessing, the film Minnesota is studying going into this game would be those from Green Bay and New Orleans games this season, since they both are most similar to what the Vikings run, stylistically.

11 hours ago, Forge said:

They were slept on a little because they were just a step behind (record wise) the big guys. It's my team against a team I was bullish on preseason. Frustrating for me lol

They also laid an egg during their last meaningful game on MNF against (what I believe to be) an overrated Packers team.

Ticket prices for Saturday’s Divisional Round matchup between the 49ers and Vikings are soaring as the average purchase price for a ticket has surpassed $400, according to TickPick, a no-fee secondary marketplace.

https://www.twincities.com/2020/01/06/ticket-prices-for-49ers-vikings-the-most-expensive-in-nfl-get-in-cost-rises-above-200/

51 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

They also laid an egg during their last meaningful game on MNF against (what I believe to be) an overrated Packers team.

Unless that was intentional and they knew they had no shot at the division with Cook and Mattison out. The Vikes called a very odd game against GB. Just seemed like they were saving themselves for the playoffs. This probably isn’t the case because the 5th seed was up for grabs still, but you never know. Having Mattison and Cook back is huge, plus Thielen finally looks healthy again.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1