2019 Divisional Round Playoffs

Leader

3 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

With the Ravens loss, if god forbid the Packers lose tomorrow we’ll have the 27th pick. 

SEA deserves to be there....so anything's possible.
I'm less concerned with Lynch than I am with the deep chucks to DK and Lockett. We've gotta to stop those passes.

16 minutes ago, Striker said:

It's not a real, provable thing. It's wonderful to talk about when it "exists" but then it's conveniently forgotten about after a team fails to take advantage of earning it or preserving it. It's abstract at best and there are plenty of examples you can point to of teams with momentum changing moments utterly failing.

Team A misses a 4th quarter FG. Team B win the OT coin flip. 

Team A misses a chip shot 4th quarter FG. Team B win the OT coin flip. 

Team B completes two miracle passes and inexplicably ties a game.

Team B completes a miracle pass inside the 5 and a go ahead score in sight.

Imagine if Team B won in those situations. We'd be talking about how those were momentum shifting moments. 

For actual analysis not using painful Packer memories: https://grantland.com/features/bill-barnwell-theory-momentum-football/

I'll also add, while I think momentum isn't necessarily real, the psychological impact *can* be meaningful, if not just a tad bit overstated. Coaches should still make the statistically advantageous decision every time.

Also, one could argue that punting it away on 4th and 1s that you normally go for it would be robbing your team of "momentum" because you're not showing confidence in your offense. Especially if your defense folds.

Maybe Jackson and the coaches are just making poor choices given the situation? Maybe you could see that the Ravens did have some warts that the Titans could expose, such as a highly questionable rushing defense and a young QB who was coming off of a 2 game rest with weapons still injured and is still unproven.

I feel like momentum is just a form of motivation for the team, like if you score and then you make a big tackle on the kick off at the 15 yard it pumps up the team even more to play even better that following drive on defense. 

Edited by Gopackgonerd

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Biggest reason I hate playing Wilson is his deep ball.  He does not throw a straight deep ball, he throws a ball to the moon and it always miraculously lands impossibly in the receiver’s hands.  

Pettine is going to play coverage the whole game probably, and hope we get there with 4, which we should vs that line. I just hope we limit Metcalf and don't allow him to get a one on one deep. 

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

Thats the Ravens basic premise though. They just played about the worst game they could. 

Didn't they win 12 games in a row before today?  It is hard to win that many in a row so sooner or later they were gonna lose.  I'd wager they would trade one of those 14 regular season wins right about now...

I’m not surprised the Ravens lost. I picked against them ats. The yards per play people don’t understand that qb running is still very inconsistent. Against good ds with speed on the line they are significantly less reliable and that leaves you relying a negative passing qb trying to win (which becomes even harder since they are seeing honest defense for the first time)

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

Didn't they win 12 games in a row before today?  It is hard to win that many in a row so sooner or later they were gonna lose.  I'd wager they would trade one of those 14 regular season wins right about now...

ESPN: The Ravens suffered their first loss in 104 days (since Sept. 29) and became the first No. 1 seed to fall to a 6-seed since 2010. Baltimore also became the sixth team since the NFL playoffs began in 1933 to win at least 14 games in a season but fail to win a postseason game.

////////////////

Tough loss.