The 2020 Draft Thread - Day 3 begins 11am CST

WindyCity

Stepped away for a bit after we were done for the night so catching up a bit: 

Kmet pick is a reach but it’s an upgrade. He’s not replacing Graham - he’s complementing him. He’s replacing Demetrius Harris, a guy with 72 catches in 6 years, and Adam Shaheen. TE was an abomination last year and is the focal point position in our offense. Value doesn’t appear great but Graham/Kmet >>>>>>> Burton/Shaheen/Street FAs, and it’s not close. I say that as a guy who’s been openly skeptical on Kmet since January. 

Our #2 CB coming into the draft was either a CFL FA (Roberson), a 2 year vet UDFA with 2 career starts (Toliver) or a 24-year old former 1st round bust who played just 374 defensive snaps over 26 games the past 2 seasons (Burns). Johnson is a guy with prototypical size, good ball skills and was a borderline first round grade from nearly everyone. To say that’s anything but a pretty obvious upgrade (at a premium position at a non-1st round price) is just silly.

Being angry we didn’t upgrade at the need positions you wanted to upgrade first is totally understandable, but Jesus people let’s not act like the team didn’t clearly get better tonight. We had 2 picks and got 2 guys with them likely to be making an impact on Sundays for us from jump. That’s a good thing. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Being angry we didn’t upgrade at the need positions you wanted to upgrade first is totally understandable, but Jesus people let’s not act like the team didn’t clearly get better tonight. We had 2 picks and got 2 guys with them likely to be making an impact on Sundays for us from jump. That’s a good thing. 

I did say that I consider both of those guys to be very good players. But Pace created an artificial need at corner. And then signed Roberson--who was CFL Defensive Player of the Year--to be what, exactly? Cutting Amukamara for cap reasons (I guess?), when you clearly need new blood on the offensive line (talking how the picks work out, and all) is just weird.

I'll be the first guy around here to loudly proclaim the O line will be better next year, even without a new addition. But let's be honest...they still needed a new addition. 

And cutting Gabriel, but then following that up with drafting Kmet...well, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, either. Maybe they'll get a speed guy tomorrow, but will he be as good as Claypool, or Mims? 

I will be the first guy to stand up and eat my words if this all turns out to be a great start to the draft.

But right now, to me, it looks like Pace is screwing the pooch. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I did say that I consider both of those guys to be very good players. But Pace created an artificial need at corner. And then signed Roberson--who was CFL Defensive Player of the Year--to be what, exactly? Cutting Amukamara for cap reasons (I guess?), when you clearly need new blood on the offensive line (talking how the picks work out, and all) is just weird.

CB2 wasn’t a Pace-created artificial need by any stretch. Prince was not good last year. That there wasn’t a noticeable dropoff from Prince to the exceedingly underwhelming Toliver isn’t an endorsement of Toliver but an indictment of Prince. The $8M they saved in cutting Prince will cover the entire cap hit for both Johnson AND Robert Quinn (a legitimate impact player) in 2020.

You clearly put a lot of stock in the Roberson signing, and I think that’s entirely misguided. He is and was always a depth competition signing. Let’s not act like signing the CFL DPOY is like signing an actual established player. Andy Fantuz was a CFL star WR coming off a 128-catch season when we signed him in 2011 and he never stood a legitimate chance of making our roster that year that didn’t even have good NFL WR talent. Most guys in the CFL are there because they don’t make the NFL grade. The far greatest likelihood of that signing was that Roberson was competing for a roster spot, not a starting spot.

Yeah, fresh blood is needed on the OL. No doubt. That doesn’t mean fresh blood wasn’t needed at CB too. And at TE. And at SS. Needing immediate starters at 4 spots and having just 2 picks thus far it’s just math that they couldn’t hit all of them. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I'll be the first guy around here to loudly proclaim the O line will be better next year, even without a new addition. But let's be honest...they still needed a new addition. 

And cutting Gabriel, but then following that up with drafting Kmet...well, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, either. Maybe they'll get a speed guy tomorrow, but will he be as good as Claypool, or Mims? 

I will be the first guy to stand up and eat my words if this all turns out to be a great start to the draft.

But right now, to me, it looks like Pace is screwing the pooch. 

Roberson for virtually free money>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Prince for 9M.

No GM their right mind is keeping Prince at 9M and Gabriel at 4.5M when they are already strapped for money as it is. Why can't you understand this?

And what has Gabriel done to earn such loyalty? The guy is a JAG and proved nothing more than that he is just another guy that can be found in any draft and in any late FA pool. Prince was okay last year but he was also a libaility and showing signs of deteriorating. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DABEARSLCF04 said:

Anyone opposed to trading up for Fromm now?

I'd rather take a swing on Eason/upside.... Fromm I don't see ever being better than an NFL backup level.

Barring those, Anthony Gordon is almost hilariously unathletic looking on tape, but he appears to have a better processor than Eason and more upside than Fromm, imo.... Looking like he'll drop to the 5th at this rate, too..

I think we end up with the Florida kid though.

Edited by Epyon

1 hour ago, DABEARSLCF04 said:

We don't have the assets to move up without giving up a player. Especially now.

Besides, Fromm would be a terrible pick.

Edited by JustAnotherFan
  • Like 1

We really need Tyler Biadasz or Nick Harris to keep falling...Kevin Dotson is probably more realistic...view few guys left who excite me which explains the lack of a trade down...we should probably be looking at traits based and role players from here on out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DABEARSLCF04 said:

Ehh.  Depends on what it would cost to get into the 4th.  I really want them to draft a QB and i don’t really care if it’s Fromm, Eason, Stanley, Morgan, McDonald, etc.  Just SOMEONE to develop.  Tyler Bray is who he is and he isn’t going to magically develop into a Star.  One of the above guys probably won’t either, but they at least give a sliver of hope.

At this point I think it makes more sense to just sit for our 5th round pick to grab a QB.  I’m not opposed to coming back into the 4th, but I’d prefer it to be for a different position (S, OL, WR).