The Search for a GM

zelbell

Every single mock draft I had/put out had us taking Myles at #1 and Watson at #12. Granted, the trade back did end up with us netting Ward at #4 the next year, but If Watson gets hurt and has the similar season that he did for us with the Texans as a rookie, we still take him at #4 and just don't have Peppers and Baker.

To be fair, I'm also SUPER high on Watson and even moreso than most. He's not Mahomes, but who is?

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Every single mock draft I had/put out had us taking Myles at #1 and Watson at #12. Granted, the trade back did end up with us netting Ward at #4 the next year, but If Watson gets hurt and has the similar season that he did for us with the Texans as a rookie, we still take him at #4 and just don't have Peppers and Baker.

To be fair, I'm also SUPER high on Watson and even moreso than most. He's not Mahomes, but who is?

Would Watson or Mahomes or Wentz have been those same players here though?

Im not sure Wentz survives here tbh.

Mahomes has been lucky to have Reid, he’s as good as it gets, but he’s a freak.

Watson looks exactly as he did in college.  I whiffed on that one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Occam's razor. The Texan's supporting cast on offense is/was just as bad as ours, including his OL.

I actually really agree.

Having Reid with the ability to sit for a year behind a true pro in Alex Smith was HUGE for him IMO.

I wanted "no part of Mahomes", so that wasn't a good look for me at all either. It happens. 

Just now, MWil23 said:

Occam's razor. The Texan's supporting cast on offense is/was just as bad as ours, including his OL.

I actually really agree.

Having Reid with the ability to sit for a year behind a true pro in Alex Smith was HUGE for him IMO.

I wanted "no part of Mahomes", so that wasn't a good look for me at all either. It happens. 

Yeah it’s easy to look back with hindsight and crush the FO for passing on them, but if I’m being honest I’m not sure I would have made the picks either at the time.

Wentz was a D2 QB with limited experience, Mahomes was a TTech QB and Watson had questionable velocity and ran a lot (which doesn’t lend itself to a long NFL career). None were slam dunks at the time imo. If they were they wouldn’t have lasted to 10/12 in 2017.

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Watson is the only one who might have been the same here as he is in Houston only because he's played well despite having a terrible coach in BoB.

Hue would have ruined Wentz for sure. And as amazing as Mahomes is, he went to a perfect situation, so I'm sure Hue would have ruined him as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah it’s easy to look back with hindsight and crush the FO for passing on them, but if I’m being honest I’m not sure I would have made the picks either at the time.

What I didn't understand then, and don't understand now, and this is when I REALLY turned sour on Hue Jackson/Jimmy:

*Watson was the #1 player on their board (Thank you Sashi), but yet Hue Jackson was NOT going to draft him/refused to (does this surprise anyone?). Instead, he wanted Hooker (good player, but 1 year guy at OSU with medical red flags), the two couldn't agree, so they traded back (good value to be sure). However, this goes to show the disconnect that those two had from word go.

Wentz was a D2 QB with limited experience,

Yeah, he terrified me and I wanted no part of him to be honest.

Mahomes was a TTech QB

I remember going off on him being a system QB from an Air Raid and "hard no" for me. That aged well...SMH.

and Watson had questionable velocity and ran a lot (which doesn’t lend itself to a long NFL career). None were slam dunks at the time imo. If they were they wouldn’t have lasted to 10/12 in 2017.

Yeah, Watson IMO and Burrow fans/believers like(d) things like huddle presence, doing it on the biggest stage vs. the best defenses, winning attitude/mindset, pure intelligence presnap (Watson was a genius), accuracy (I died on the "Watson is accurate" hill), and poise. But many thought that he had a noodle arm.

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

What I didn't understand then, and don't understand now, and this is when I REALLY turned sour on Hue Jackson/Jimmy:

*Watson was the #1 player on their board (Thank you Sashi), but yet Hue Jackson was NOT going to draft him/refused to (does this surprise anyone?). Instead, he wanted Hooker (good player, but 1 year guy at OSU with medical red flags), the two couldn't agree, so they traded back (good value to be sure). However, this goes to show the disconnect that those two had from word go.

Exactly!!

It’s what kills me when people blame Sashi entirely.  I mean, he could have taken him anyway, but Hue didn’t answer to him (thanks Jimmy) and it would have likely soured the relationship further.

Hue owns a lot of our issues imo.

Yeah, he terrified me and I wanted no part of him to be honest.

I liked him, and would have taken him at 2 if no offers came in, but I was glad we didn’t have to at the time.

I remember going off on him being a system QB from an Air Raid and "hard no" for me. That aged well...SMH.

I liked him as a toolsy, young prospect who’d need a year or two to develop. I didn’t want any of those QB’s at one or 12 if I’m remembering correctly.

Yeah, Watson IMO and Burrow fans/believers like(d) things like huddle presence, doing it on the biggest stage vs. the best defenses, winning attitude/mindset, pure intelligence presnap (Watson was a genius), accuracy (I died on the "Watson is accurate" hill), and poise. But many thought that he had a noodle arm.

The 49 mph throw at the combine was concerning as hell.  He’s like the only guy in league history to throw that slow and be successful iirc.

I don’t like running QB’s either.  The league is unforgiving on those dudes.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Exactly!!

It’s what kills me when people blame Sashi entirely.  I mean, he could have taken him anyway, but Hue didn’t answer to him (thanks Jimmy) and it would have likely soured the relationship further.

Hue owns a lot of our issues imo.

"Trust me" on Cody Kessler and "his guy" in Corey Coleman and thankfully the "earth moved" during the RGIII workout. What a joke.

I liked him, and would have taken him at 2 if no offers came in, but I was glad we didn’t have to at the time.

I think we would have "had to" take him at #2, albeit I wanted Joey Bosa or Jalen Ramsey...Zeke is obviously great but no thanks to a RB Top 5. I liked everything about the tradeback except for who we got. It's hard when Keanu Neal goes the next pick and he's a Pro Bowl Safety.

I liked him as a toolsy, young prospect who’d need a year or two to develop. I didn’t want any of those QB’s at one or 12 if I’m remembering correctly.

Which is why I DID NOT want him. Who was he realistically going to sit behind? I mean, Kizer sucked, but he had NO CHANCE. That's what I thought would happen with Mahomes. Now, maybe he actually didn't need a year and is mentally/physically tough enough to overcome what that year would have been, but I have my reservations.

The 49 mph throw at the combine was concerning as hell.  He’s like the only guy in league history to throw that slow and be successful iirc.

I don’t like running QB’s either.  The league is unforgiving on those dudes.

I thought that he showed he was good enough to win from the pocket against Alabama and other teams that his running was more "scheme based" out of how dynamic he was and not that "he couldn't" win from the pocket like most.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

"Trust me" on Cody Kessler and "his guy" in Corey Coleman and thankfully the "earth moved" during the RGIII workout. What a joke.

If I’m worth my salt as a coach....

I think we would have "had to" take him at #2, albeit I wanted Joey Bosa or Jalen Ramsey...Zeke is obviously great but no thanks to a RB Top 5. I liked everything about the tradeback except for who we got. It's hard when Keanu Neal goes the next pick and he's a Pro Bowl Safety.

I don’t even remember who I wanted. We were all over and I never really fell in love with anyone (other than Goff).

Which is why I DID NOT want him. Who was he realistically going to sit behind? I mean, Kizer sucked, but he had NO CHANCE. That's what I thought would happen with Mahomes. Now, maybe he actually didn't need a year and is mentally/physically tough enough to overcome what that year would have been, but I have my reservations.

Yeah I had no faith anyone was gonna be “developed”, it was always gonna be sink or swim.

I thought that he showed he was good enough to win from the pocket against Alabama and other teams that his running was more "scheme based" out of how dynamic he was and not that "he couldn't" win from the pocket like most.

It’s not necessarily that he couldn’t win without running, but rather could he restrain himself and not run.

A lot of those dudes revert to what their comfortable with and Wilson is about the only “running QB” who is just as capable of beating you with his arm that I can think of.  Maybe Steve Young or Cunningham, but the point is they’re a rare breed.