The Search for a GM

zelbell

Can you trust a guy with no eyebrow a to be a general manager? We will soon find out 😂

either way I think it’s a good hired it happens. From talk shows and interviews it sounds like Paton was a very good scout and played a huge part in the draft for the Vikings the last however many years. We have had a lot of success in mid round picks and UDFA and he is believed to be a big part of that. 

• Like 2

To me, Paton is the superior candidate to Berry.

He has WAY more experience as a scout, assistant GM, and even Director of Pro Personnel.  He has a great working relationship with Stefanski.  He's known to embrace the importance of analytics, and he's ready for the next step.  I'll frankly be disappointed if he's not the guy.

He only went to UCLA though, so no Ivy League.

Image result for hes not ivy league gif"

• Like 5

The thing that would be encouraging for me about Paton is it would show DePo isn’t looking to make this about hiring his buddies.

Berry and he having worked together and with Berry reportedly liking Stefanski last season would make for an easy solution, but they didn’t just do the easy thing, they explored all options and potentially found one they feel may work better.

We’ll see though, lots still up in the air.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

To me, Paton is the superior candidate to Berry.

He has WAY more experience as a scout, assistant GM, and even Director of Pro Personnel.  He has a great working relationship with Stefanski.  He's known to embrace the importance of analytics, and he's ready for the next step.  I'll frankly be disappointed if he's not the guy.

He only went to UCLA though, so no Ivy League.

Image result for hes not ivy league gif"

Samesies. I really wanted Dodds, but that obviously didn’t happen. I did research on Paton and he immediately became my favorite when Dodds turned us down. I was ok with Berry but I would have been apprehensive. 

On 1/15/2020 at 1:15 AM, Mind Character said:

As much as we've all talked about Andrew Berry, I have serious doubts that he'll be our next GM selected over George Paton.

I don't doubt that Andrew is the candidate that the Haslam's and DePo prefer, but I just don't see how Stefanski brings Paton, who turns down tons of interview requests unless he thinks he has a good shot at getting the job, into Berea then decides that he's not his guy.

Paton's known Stefanski for 13 out of the 14 years Kevin was at the Vikings.

Even if Kevin has great respect for Andrew and thinks he'll be great 13 years of familiarity, friendship, and working together is going to be impossible to beat.

To align with DePo and the organization, it's probably best to hire Andrew as the GM, but the Haslam's have to relent in some regards to their new Head Coach.

I think they'll do so by begrudgingly accepting Kevin's endorsement and preference for Paton over Berry. Paton will come in saying all the right things about alignment and DePo, but it won't ever be as seamless of an operation as with Berry and DePo.

It's not going to be Andrew Berry, and I'm not quite sure if that's a positive because Paton is still an unknown despite some glowing reviews.  You'd have to even think that Stefanski's going to be talking to Paton before and up until the interview.

For organizational alignment and because the rational mostly always makes sense at the point of selection, I hope somehow Berry can make it through the process to becoming the Browns GM.

I knew that if George Paton actually interviewed here that he'd be the one getting the job instead of Berry.

One team missed on Laquon Treadwell, the other Corey Coleman.... I say that just to say that there's no truly discernible differences between the George Paton and Andrew Berry except that one has served as an assistant GM longer (Paton) which ostensibly makes us feel he's more prepared for the job and one has past experience working well in an ego-less, forward-thinking environment with Paul DePodesta and others in the Browns organization  (Berry).

Now, Rick Spielman is in media reports lobbying for the Browns to hire Paton because it's the "best thing for Kevin Stefanski."

Paton, Stefanski, and Spielman all talk.  This is a classic coordinated way to put external pressure on ownership/hiring-group decision-making.

We have no idea whether George Paton will be a successful GM, or how well he'll mesh with the alignment currently desired by execs like DePo.

Paton is a shiny unknown, grass is greener candidate, comes with rave reviews from a respected GM, respected evaluator of talent, and has been a part of roster building successes in the past.

Andrew Berry is a less shiny mostly known entity who has experience collaboratively working well with Paul DePodesta, is known to be an ego-less executive, and known to be a quality, forward-thinking evaluator.

Berry was never the Browns GM; Sashi Brown was so we don't have certainty regarding what Berry will be in the captain's chair.

How well can Paton collaborate with DePo and others? Is he going to be dismissive of analytical approaches in ways similar to Dorsey traditionalists?

I'd still go with Andrew Berry because that seemingly provides the organization with the best alignment orientation. Berry is also a talented and respected evaluator who may have more success when in the lead strategist/roster-building role as opposed to just being a lead evaluator.

If we do hire Paton over Berry, it's neither something to get excited about nor something to be upset about. Time will tell, but based on the known knowns and known unknows regarding both candidates imo Berry's immediately shifting all sails of the organization in the same direction makes him the most desirable candidate at this time.

6 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I knew that if George Paton actually interviewed here that he'd be the one getting the job instead of Berry.

One team missed on Laquon Treadwell, the other Corey Coleman.... I say that just to say that there's no truly discernible differences between the George Paton and Andrew Berry except that one has served as an assistant GM longer (Paton) which ostensibly makes us feel he's more prepared for the job and one has past experience working well in an ego-less, forward-thinking environment with Paul DePodesta and others in the Browns organization  (Berry).

Now, Rick Spielman is in media reports lobbying for the Browns to hire Paton because it's the "best thing for Kevin Stefanski."

Paton, Stefanski, and Spielman all talk.  This is a classic coordinated way to put external pressure on ownership/hiring-group decision-making.

We have no idea whether George Paton will be a successful GM, or how well he'll mesh with the alignment currently desired by execs like DePo.

Paton is a shiny unknown, grass is greener candidate, comes with rave reviews from a respected GM, respected evaluator of talent, and has been a part of roster building successes in the past.

Andrew Berry is a less shiny mostly known entity who has experience collaboratively working well with Paul DePodesta, is known to be an ego-less executive, and known to be a quality, forward-thinking evaluator.

Berry was never the Browns GM; Sashi Brown was so we don't have certainty regarding what Berry will be in the captain's chair.

How well can Paton collaborate with DePo and others? Is he going to be dismissive of analytical approaches in ways similar to Dorsey traditionalists?

I'd still go with Andrew Berry because that seemingly provides the organization with the best alignment orientation. Berry is also a talented and respected evaluator who may have more success when in the lead strategist/roster-building role as opposed to just being a lead evaluator.

If we do hire Paton over Berry, it's neither something to get excited about nor something to be upset about. Time will tell, but based on the known knowns and known unknows regarding both candidates imo Berry's immediately shifting all sails of the organization in the same direction makes him the most desirable candidate at this time.

It’s not Rick, it was Chris.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Mind why do you gotta post essays man?!?

Lol.

Automatic, stream of consciousness expressive writing and regurgitating of my thoughts onto a page/electronic page is soothing to me kind of like how mindless, open-road highway driving is for others.

It feels good to stream out 2 minutes of typing, driving in the open landscape of the Internet road.

I can't hit the open road in this office so posts like that have to suffice.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Lol.

Automatic, stream of consciousness expressive writing and regurgitating of my thoughts onto a page/electronic page is soothing to me kind of like how mindless, open-road highway driving is for others.

I can't hit the open road in this office so posts like that have to suffice.

Maybe do us all a favor and hit the open road and stream into a post?

I kid, I kid....

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s not Rick, it was Chris.

I missed that ...

Assuming Rick and Chris speak, the point still applies as a triangulated way to create favorable pressure for the decision in Paton's direction...

That's all she wrote; George Paton is our Next GM; So long Andrew Berry... we;ll think of you fondly:

1.) 2nd meeting

2.) Paton not going to the Senior Bowl as he would've if he was still with the Vikings

--- Here's to hoping Paton is a free, forward-thinker, who can work collaboratively with DePo and the analytics department... that he can build a scouting department filled with forward-thinking scouts and that he himself can lead key and sound roster-building decisions for an extended period of time.

If it's not a fit, don't force it though...

Interesting wording by Pelissaro who worked the Minnesota beat for many years as an insider..

If it's already a fit for Stefanski and Paton, who's it not a fit for yet? We all know who and the departments who might not be a total fit. Will be interesting to see how it all evolves.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

DelayedActualBlackmamba-size_restricted.

• Like 1