The Search for a GM

zelbell

2 hours ago, CleBrowns07 said:

His hands were so questionable. Ill never forget the 4th down drop against the Steelers to seal 0-16. Him sitting in the grass with his hands covering his eyes will forever be burned in my brain. 

Yeah I Wouldn’t say he had the most reliable hands. He would never make the big catch or the tough catch

24 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

As much as I’d love this, Paton is a helluva candidate.

Assistant GM since 2011 for a well-respected, competent GM.

Indeed, that is a very very strong candidate for the Browns GM Position.

There was no better candidate than John Dorsey.

His failures were more so regarding collaboration/communication (i.e., This is part of what got him fired in KC), overall team-building philosophy (i.e., relying on the unreliable), and issues with flexible/forward thinking approaches.

Assuming Paton is more of a flexible and forward thinker that can collaborate or utilize analytical thinking to craft draft and roster-building strategies (analytics), then I'm excited for it.

I hope he has a different approach to Spielman when it comes to positional value, overall draft strategy maximization, salary cap management, and willingness to trade down in early rounds to maximize value.

Spielman loves trading up in early rounds and hates to trade down early on, but loves trading down in mid to late rounds.

I remember when the Browns hired Andrew Berry a week before the Senior Bowl, and how it created no time at all to bring on a few supplemental scouts, and

We're a week later than that time.

Although we're hiring Paton before week's end, he's going to have an extremely short amount of time to get his systems and process implemented. Paton has more experience than Berry, but Berry was a main lead in draft prep and pro personnel roster building before he arrived so there's really only so much experience can do to overcome the abbreviated draft prep time.

It wouldn't surprise me if Stefanksi and Paton have spent the last week getting on the same page with what Kevin wants at various positions. That takes a lot of time to get on the same page with specified traits list and intended use, and personality/emotional traits. They may have had such conversations in the past, but Zimmer's desires are certainly different in many aspects than Sefanski.

He also is going to need to keep things very very close to the vest until he can bring in people who he can trust because I have no doubts that after Dorsey's firing there are going to be numerous scouts that are looking to get off the ship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Am I the ONLY one in here that likes Truck Stop Jimmy?

I know he's had a quick hook in some situations....but he's a newer owner learning the ropes....and dosent mind spending the money to try and get it right....

asian-traveler-man-alone-small-260nw-314

Probably.

• Like 1

UnevenGiganticKookaburra-max-1mb.gif 

giphy.gif 

I know he's had a quick hook in some situations....

img-2385485-1-2772.Yathink.gif 

but he's a newer owner learning

raw

and dosent mind spending the money to try and get it right....

giphy.gif 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I know he's had a quick hook in some situations....but he's a newer owner learning the ropes....and dosent mind spending the money to try and get it right....

Tayne likes him too. Now for him to complete his ascension and sign off on the Cleveland brownie's return on our new uniform. Emblazon that brownie on our helmet with pride.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

"Learning" is a very generous interpretation in this case, and throwing money at a problem is not usually the best way to fix a problem. the best way is to remove the root of the problem, but in this case Truck Stop Jimmy isn't going to remove himself.

Edited by dawgdish
  • Like 1