The Search for a GM

zelbell

43 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

All of those guys are better talents than what Dorsey has selected at the same draft positions, excluding Nick chubb and Greedy is tbd. They drafted talent, not a position, I wonder if thye were not expecting Ray Horton to last long on his second time at the rodeo. 

They also did better because they were talented. 

I never ever want to go back to the 3-4 again. If I would of guessed I would of said Aaron Donald is a better 4-3 than 3-4 guy, he won DPOY  as a 3-4 DE because the scheme fit the, not the players fitting he scheme. Obvisouly you need sound scheme also, like i want us to build a zone blocking oline, but Stephanski is quoted as saying think players not plays. 

Too many of our coaches, Horton and Wilks think scheme not players. 

It doesn't have anything to do with Dorsey in my mind. It's about Berry on his own merits.

That doesn't mean Andrew can't be a great GM for us but it deserves scrutiny imo.

Scheme fit is an important and critical consideration in evaluation and roster construction... and more so at certain positions.

Drafting Vince Wilfork to play 3-tech would not be a quality decision when other scheme fit quality players are on the board. It wouldn't make it a better decision just b/c Wilfork makes for a quality 34 player.

Aaron Donald is all-time great and his impact transcends scheme, especially in Phillips' 34 which is a lot different than other 34s and moved him all over the field.

Evaluating Scobert as pro 34-OLB is a misevaluation.

He went on to change body type and thrive in another scheme but not every player has that opportunity.

• Like 1

Oopsie - Shefty needs a proof reader

Seriously though, I was listening to 92.3 The Fan today at lunch and they had NE Ohio native Alex Boone (Lakewood St. Edward/Ohio State)on giving his .02 regarding George Paton. Alex thought he would be a fantastic hire mostly because of his work ethic to get the job done.

3 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

Oopsie - Shefty needs a proof reader

Seriously though, I was listening to 92.3 The Fan today at lunch and they had NE Ohio native Alex Boone (Lakewood St. Edward/Ohio State)on giving his .02 regarding George Paton. Alex thought he would be a fantastic hire mostly because of his work ethic to get the job done.

I know it is pronounced (pay-ton) but it would be a cool nick name (especially if they win) to nick name him General George (i know patton had 2 Ts).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mind Character said:

As much as we've all talked about Andrew Berry, I have serious doubts that he'll be our next GM selected over George Paton.

I don't doubt that Andrew is the candidate that the Haslam's and DePo prefer, but I just don't see how Stefanski brings Paton, who turns down tons of interview requests unless he thinks he has a good shot at getting the job, into Berea then decides that he's not his guy.

Paton's known Stefanski for 13 out of the 14 years Kevin was at the Vikings.

Even if Kevin has great respect for Andrew and thinks he'll be great 13 years of familiarity, friendship, and working together is going to be impossible to beat.

To align with DePo and the organization, it's probably best to hire Andrew as the GM, but the Haslam's have to relent in some regards to their new Head Coach.

I think they'll do so by begrudgingly accepting Kevin's endorsement and preference for Paton over Berry. Paton will come in saying all the right things about alignment and DePo, but it won't ever be as seamless of an operation as with Berry and DePo.

It's not going to be Andrew Berry, and I'm not quite sure if that's a positive because Paton is still an unknown despite some glowing reviews.  You'd have to even think that Stefanski's going to be talking to Paton before and up until the interview.

For organizational alignment and because the rational mostly always makes sense at the point of selection, I hope somehow Berry can make it through the process to becoming the Browns GM.

@cortes02

giphy.gif?cid=790b76117b6e74d9998263e104c32cb1557699a832401fe8&rid=giphy.gif

57 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

This is the tweet that @WingDawg was linking (kind of).

Jake Trotter confirmed Tom Pelissero's tweet with a tweet of his own.  Everyone is so well-mannered...

Now I just want to take a moment to say his name out loud:  Monti Ossenfort.

Thank you.

I’d like to take a moment to google who the hell he is...