Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

On 1/16/2020 at 7:02 PM, vike daddy said:

oooh, maybe we can get a Ryan Leaf! or sam Darnold or Mitch Trubuisky! how about Goff or Winston? Bortles and Manziel! Jamarcus Russell or  Vince Young!!

those are all qb's who went 1st or 2nd in their draft class.

We're probably all aware that there is no "sure thing" when it comes to finding a QB, but the numbers bear out that those picked high in the draft have a lower bust rate than those who are taken later.  If you don't like taking the 1st or 2nd QB in the draft, just take a look at what teams got with the 3rd QB taken over the last 30 years.  The list below shows us that only 2 of these players have gone on to win a Super Bowl.

2019 - Dwayne Haskins
2018 - Josh Allen
2017 - Deshaun Watson
2016 - Paxton Lynch
2015 - Garrett Grayson
2014 - Teddy Bridgewater
2013 - Mike Glennon
2012 - Ryan Tannehill
2011 - Blaine Gabbert
2010 - Jimmy Clausen
2009 - Josh Freeman
2008 - Brian Brohm
2007 - Kevin Kolb
2006 - Jay Cutler
2005 - Jason Campbell
2004 - Ben Roethlisberger
2003 - Kyle Boller
2002 - Patrick Ramsey
2001 - Quincy Carter
2000 - Chris Redmon
1999 - Akili Smith
1998 - Charlie Batch
1997 - Danny Wuerffel
1996 - Jeff Lewis
1995 - Todd Collins
1994 - Perry Klein
1993 - Billy Joe Hobert
1992 - Matt Blunden
1991 - Brett Favre
1990 - Tom Hodson
1989 - Billy Joe Tolliver

Quarterbacks drafted by the Vikings in the last 30 years:

Teddy Bridgewater - 3rd QB taken - 32nd overall pick

Christian Ponder - 4th QB taken - 12th overall pick

Joe Webb - 10th QB taken - 199th overall pick

John David Booty - 6th QB taken - 137th overall pick

Tyler Thigpen - 10th QB taken - 217th overall pick

Tarvaris Jackson - 5th QB taken - 64th overall pick

Daunte Culpepper - 4th QB taken - 11th overall pick

Chad May - 8th QB taken - 111th overall pick

Gino Torretta - 5th QB taken - 192nd overall pick

Brad Johnson - 13th QB taken - 227th overall pick

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

We're probably all aware that there is no "sure thing" when it comes to finding a QB, but the numbers bear out that those picked high in the draft have a lower bust rate than those who are taken later

I think this pretty much sums up why the Vikings are in such a tough spot for 2020 lol.

They know they have something Cousin, buy they also have to know that they've over invested in him. Or at least that they don't have the resources to create a situation he can truly thrive in. They should know this because this season should have been enough for him and he still struggled when it mattered most.

But in order to secure a high draft pick to get a QB they essentially would be forgoing the 2020 season soooooooo..... Quandary

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

We're probably all aware that there is no "sure thing" when it comes to finding a QB, but the numbers bear out that those picked high in the draft have a lower bust rate than those who are taken later. 

that is correct, yes.

but what is the percentage of QB's taken 1st and 2nd in their class that become excellent, as opposed to those who wash out?

Edited by vike daddy

6 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Maybe. However, I am 59 years old, overweight, asthmatic, arthritic, and I can feel my arteries hardening.  I really don't care about making the playoffs if it doesn't end in hoisting a Lombardi.  You and others might be satisfied with winning records and making the playoffs, but that's no longer enough for me.  Any season that doesn't end being the last team standing is "underachieving."

You'd probably live longer if you didn't focus on them winning a super bowl so much

• Like 2

8 hours ago, vike daddy said:

that is correct, yes.

but what is the percentage of QB's taken 1st and 2nd in their class that become excellent, as opposed to those who wash out?

Admittedly, the percentage is low in any round.  There just aren't many players who go on to become great quarterbacks.  At the same time, we have tried just about every other option.  If we want to eventually win a Super Bowl, I think we will finally have to move up and draft a blue-chip prospect to give us a chance.  We could point to all the good QBs who were taken later in the draft, but there is a LOT of luck that goes into getting a player like that.  It hasn't happened to us in our history, and it could be a long wait if that's all we have to hope for.  I think it's time to be proactive because it is becoming more and more of a passing league as time goes by.

This Niners offense is a good example of how blocking is much bigger factor than the actual Running Back when it comes to rushing....they have undrafted RBs but they still generate so many positive plays and yards on every run due to superior blocking scheme. Which is why giving a big contract to Cook isn't a wise choice. This OLine isn't good. It's proven so many times over the last 3 years that Cook can't do much if the blocking isn't good. Cook also isn't an great receiver or blocker. Instead of giving that contract to Dalvin, I really hope Speilman smartly invests that money in OLine

• Like 5

4 hours ago, upriser7 said:

This Niners offense is a good example of how blocking is much bigger factor than the actual Running Back when it comes to rushing....they have undrafted RBs but they still generate so many positive plays and yards on every run due to superior blocking scheme. Which is why giving a big contract to Cook isn't a wise choice. This OLine isn't good. It's proven so many times over the last 3 years that Cook can't do much if the blocking isn't good. Cook also isn't an great receiver or blocker. Instead of giving that contract to Dalvin, I really hope Speilman smartly invests that money in OLine

I totally agree, but Cook puts people in seats. Its all about the money.

On 1/16/2020 at 4:52 PM, Dolmonite26 said:

I need better understanding of why moving on from Zimmer makes sense to anyone? Is it mostly just "a big games" argument?

Because they aren't getting better the longer he is here. Because they aren't so good they are favored in playoff games. Because winning 8-10 games, but then losing in the t playoffs because you aren't all that good is not exciting. 

12 hours ago, upriser7 said:

100 percent this. Trade Dalvin! Get some good OL. 

• Like 1