Browns hire Kevin Stefanski as HC

.Buzz

4 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Love this hire for the Browns. I know he’ll turn the team around. Baker is going to start looking much better 

I hope you are right, my friend. Stefanski was my top choice but he's obviously not at all a sure thing.

I just trust DePodesta more than Haslam, without question. And Stefanski was DePodesta's guy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pnies20 said:

🤦🏼‍♂️ 

Haslam didn’t have the guts to turn the team over to mcdaniels et al

xD That wouldn't take guts, that would take stupidity. McDaniels is not only a no-class clown but a terrible HC. He's already proven that. 

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I’ve always said by far the #1 problem on this forum is recency bias. Stefanski is who I wanted as Browns HC. It’s who 65% of Browns fans wanted. You guys just look at the Niner game and have terrible hot takes. Like the first few pages of this thread is absolutely astounding. Niners are a Top 3 D, coming off a bye week, and at home. 

- Great Leadership

- Helped make the Viking Offense into a terrific unit, this is the best offense the Vikings have had since ‘09 Favre

- Has Charisma, Good Work Ethic, and Lives Football.

- He is both a great x and o guy and a leader. You guys are treating him like Hue Jackson. 

This is my favorite HC hire behind Rhule. 

Allow me to play devils advocate:

How does anybody know this guy is a great leader. I keep hearing people reference it but how does anybody know. He has been a NFL coordinator for 1.5 seasons, how does anybody know he can lead an entire 53 man roster as the alpha. 

To your second point, how do we know the underlying success of the Vikings offense wasnt because of Kubiaks involvement. It could be the same situation as the Browns had where it was actually Ken Zampeze who made the Baker look good last year and not Kitchens. The Vikings ran a loooot of stretch plays with run setting up the deep pass. That has Kubiak written all over it.

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

Allow me to play devils advocate:

How does anybody know this guy is a great leader. I keep hearing people reference it but how does anybody know. He has been a NFL coordinator for 1.5 seasons, how does anybody know he can lead an entire 53 man roster as the alpha. 

To your second point, how do we know the underlying success of the Vikings offense wasnt because of Kubiaks involvement. It could be the same situation as the Browns had where it was actually Ken Zampeze who made the Baker look good last year and not Kitchens. The Vikings ran a loooot of stretch plays with run setting up the deep pass. That has Kubiak written all over it.

Have you seen him on the sidelines and interviews? He has “it” and is extremely charismatic. 

Also I always thought Kitchens was a terrible hire and had nothing to do with Bakers success. 

Who would you have picked for Browns HC? Please tell me not McDaniels. One of the most overrated OC’s in the history of the sport and a terrible leader. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Have you seen him on the sidelines and interviews? He has “it” and is extremely charismatic. 

Also I always thought Kitchens was a terrible hire and had nothing to do with Bakers success. 

Who would you have picked for Browns HC? Please tell me not McDaniels. One of the most overrated OC’s in the history of the sport and a terrible leader. 

Again, my first choice was McCarthy. Second choice would have been Bienemy out of the remaining 4-5 candidates. I entertained McDaniels but untimately talked myself out of it. Stefanski was #4-5 on my list behind those 3 + maybe even Salah.

Edited by AkronsWitness

I like the hire. Seems like he's a good, high potential candidate and checks all the boxes I'd want in a hire. I agree with the other poster(s) that judging purely by unit performance isn't a great metric.  Much better than McDaniels at least. Saleh was interesting but I also agree that we haven't seen that much out of him outside of the one year he has the best DL in a while so he's more likely to be a flash in the pan than Stefanski is at this point. Who knows if he'll work out but I certainly don't think its a bad move wholesale like when they hired Kitchens (which many people could see from a mile away).

Much better hire than McDaniels would have been.

Id rather take a chance on a guy with potential like Stefanski than a dumpster fire like JMcD.  

That being said, I dont know what to make of this hire.   Curious to see the rest of the staff.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Not sure., but iirc that was part of the reason he backed out of the Colts job.

Dude seems to want to do things like BB (tried it in Denver), but BB is really the only dude to ever pull that off.

I definitely agree he should have a GM he works well with, but having him hand pick someone who could be viewed as a “yes man” is something different.

Not that it matters now but I believe he would have had the perfect GM candidate in Nick Caserio, who is also from Ohio and was McDaniels teammate in college so likely knows him well.

Caserio is who the Texans wanted last year for their Gm opening but the Pats wanted comensation. I believe his contract expires this year though so he would have been available.