Browns hire Kevin Stefanski as HC

.Buzz

Benjamin Allbright @AllbrightNFL

He wanted to completely clean house top to bottom. Several voices in the room making the decision did not.

Amy Lawrence @ALawRadio

The Josh McDaniels career arc is fascinating to me. I'd like to know why he's NOT the next head coach in Cleveland. The team didn't want him? He didn't want the job? Not enough power? Pieces didn't mesh? Didn't interview well? They were afraid he'd bail out?

What else would we expect those "voices in the room" to say?  The Haslam's are going to entrust the HC search to Depodesta, and then Depodesta is supposed to go with the guy who wants to fire him?

Edited by Mazrimiv

18 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

What else would we expect those "voices in the room" to say?  The Haslam's are going to entrust the HC search to Depodesta, and then Depodesta is supposed to go with the guy who wants to fire him?

What has McDaniels done to warrant having the power to essentially run an organization.

He’s earned a HC job, sure.  The ability to hire a staff and help pick a GM even, but essentially making him a “football czar”?  Idk about that one.

• Like 2

I hope Kevin succeeds at Cleveland. He did a pretty good job this season despite the poor show from offense yesterday. This Vikings OLine's ineptness is not easy to overcome when you r up against really good pass rushes. He managed to have a top5 passing offense despite poor OLine and Thielen missing lot of time. Not to mention, he was under Zimmer who is an incredibly conservative coach. 

Edited by upriser7
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What has McDaniels done to warrant having the power to essentially run an organization.

He’s earned a HC job, sure.  The ability to hire a staff and help pick a GM even, but essentially making him a “football czar”?  Idk about that one.

You don't have to convince me.  I just thought it was strange for the quote to effectively say that several CLE decision makers in the room didn't agree with McD's view that they should all be fired.  

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah you absolutely do not want that and he has not earned it. There aren't many well run teams where the head coach has full personnel control.

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

You don't have to convince me.  I just thought it was strange for the quote to effectively say that several CLE decision makers in the room didn't agree with McD's view that they should all be fired.  

A lot of the guys in the room wouldn’t have been fired, they’re ownership, but yeah, odd quote.

Just now, goldfishwars said:

Yeah you absolutely do not want that and he has not earned it. There aren't many well run teams where the head coach has full personnel control.

I don’t mind a HC having full control, but it’s got to be earned over time and incrementally imo.

You know, after they’ve actually done something.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

A lot of the guys in the room wouldn’t have been fired, they’re ownership, but yeah, odd quote.

Maybe not technically fired, but it sure sounds like McD was effectively telling them they didn't belong in the football operations decision making business.

Come to think of it, McD probably isn't wrong.

Edited by Mazrimiv