Broncos fire OC Rich Scangarello

.Buzz

12 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think this all lays on Vic. If you want to say, “at least Elway is letting him pick his staff” I can see the merit in that, taken as an absolute. But when Vic picks his staff, and downgrades it, then the blame falls on Vic. 

We could have had the Kyle Shanahan offense but now it’s the, to quote the mouthpiece, Case Keenum/Sam Bradford offense. Color me excited. 

Think I was critical of Vic before? Just wait. He and his hand-picked vanilla as can be OC just signed their pink slips. Sad thing is the future, at least for about six weeks, appeared bright. 

Scheme is only part of the equation (and gets oversimplified in these conversations). You need the right play caller who knows how to sequence plays together, when to be aggressive or conservative etc. 

Thats where Rich lost his job. Play calling never seemed natural for him. I was okay with another year for the sake of continuity but I wasn’t optimistic about Rich vastly improving, which he needed to.

Pat Shurmur’s last year as OC saw a third string QB, 4th string RB and 8 different OL combinations (due to injuries) score the 3rd most points in the league and get to the NFCCC.

He relies heavily on the run (usually top 5 in run attempts) and play action (28.7% of passes his last year in Minnesota), used 3WR 57% of the time, lots of 21 and 12 sets (multi TE 35% of plays, FB 16% of plays). Very rarely went 3 and out (18% of drives, 6th fewest in NFL). All of this leads to consistently being top 3!in ToP and play #.

Honestly it looks a lot like what a well run Shannahan offense looks like.

Edited by broncos_fan _from _uk
  • Like 2

This is certainly a bit of a shock.  But anyone saying Shurmer is a downgrade from Scags is letting their emotions get the better of them.  The only downside to this is the lack of continuity - ie, a short term hit for Locke to go through the learning curve.  So to say this is “win now” also doesn’t make much sense.  Shurmer was a bad HC. He was a very good OC, and an extremely good QB developer.  Loved Scags scheme, but he really struggled with consistent play calling.  Can’t think of a single game all year where he put a whole game together.  

Last but not least, anybody looking at what KC did today and saying they DONT want a coach who has PROVEN success with the same scheme  - well, I don’t understand that criticism. 

I wish Scags well.  Liked him.  But this is most definitely an improvement to the Broncos coaching staff. 

• Like 1

Per ESPN:

"Shurmur is known to have scouted Lock extensively before last April's NFL draft, and some of his close associates in the league said Sunday they believed he preferred Lock over Daniel Jones, whom the Giants selected in the first round."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28471203/broncos-fire-oc-rich-scangarello-turn-pat-shurmur

Interesting take.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Can't say I've been impress with the Shurmer' s Giants offense but to be fair I haven't watched much of the Giants. Shurmer should show less inexperience than Scangs though.  

Live in NY these days, so saw way more of the Giants than I’d like...

The Giants offense was not great, but - their OL was quite literally abysmal.  Made the Broncos OL look like all pros in comparison.  And they had NO weapons at WR after trading OBJ (Cody Latimer and Bennie Fowler were mainstays 😳).  And the defense was a complete sieve.  They were always playing from behind.  The biggest complaint from the NY fandom was not giving Barkley enough touches, but appears that Barkley was struggling through some nagging injuries, so may have been mitigating circumstances.

if I were Vic, at his age, with one chance to make it as a HC - zero doubt in my mind I would have jumped at the opportunity to bring Shurmer on board. 

• Like 1

I thought the Giants offense overperformed this year, especially with Saquon having a big sophomore slump with the ankle injury. 

I need to take a closer look at what he did in 2018 but his 2017 work with Minnesota and this year with the Giants are both +s on an OC resume IMO. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I thought the Giants offense overperformed this year, especially with Saquon having a big sophomore slump with the ankle injury. 

I need to take a closer look at what he did in 2018 but his 2017 work with Minnesota and this year with the Giants are both +s on an OC resume IMO. 

Last year, the issue was Eli, and again the Horrific OL.  Was a Flacco situation on steroids.  Not only could Eli not move, but he very clearly didn’t even want to get hit. Trigger Happy doesn’t even begin to describe it. 

Shurmur's a fantastic OC hire.  He was an absolute disaster as a HC, but his OC work in MIN and O work overall has been impressive.    It's definitely an upgrade in experience, and he's shown the ability to be innovative as an OC.   As we all witnessed, Case Keenum is not a good QB - yet Shurmur (and a very soft schedule) coaxed a top 10 QB season out of him.   His hire shouldn't be seen as a negative at all, far from it.

The thing is, Scangarello definitely got scapegoated for the O's problems - we lacked talent, plain and simple, and our QB play pre-Lock was truly horrific.  It's not his fault Elway foisted a broken Joe Flacco on the O.    Scangarello's year in DEN should not be seen as a negative in his CV in future years.   I think he'll land on his feet, and eventually get another shot as OC, and as long as it's not a DEN 2019 situation, he'll succeed.   He didn't really deserve to be fired.  

Shurmur on OC talent alone is an upgrade.   Scangarello wasn't the problem in DEN this year.   The 2 statements can both be true.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

Because of how quickly this all happened, I think the Broncos probably *were* planning on keeping Scangs. But the minute Shurmur got fired, I think they said Ah ha! Perfect chance to upgrade. So they pulled the trigger. And while Shurmur may be an upgrade in the short term, I’ve also seen glimpses of what Scangs’ offense can do when it’s firing on all cylinders.. I think we’re walking away from an awful lot of potential there. Time will tell I suppose. 

• Like 2