NFC Championship: GB@SF

Manny/Patrick

Who will win?   

130 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• San Francisco 49ers
    • Green Bay Packers

Just now, Ragnarok said:

I fully expect the 49ers to spank us.  They're healthier than they were when they spanked us in the regular season, and we just don't have the weapons to keep up.

It was a very successful first season under LaFleur though.  

That's crazy.  You already kind of sound like you're giving up and the game hasn't even started yet.  The Niners are the best team in the NFC, but they're not some unstoppable juggernaut.  Plus, single game elimination.  Tons of things can happen in a single game that can drastically turn the tide.

This is a huge problem for GB, because...

1.  On O, GB's pass O is all Adams.   SF has 1 major weakness now that Tartt/Alexander are back for their zone scheme - RCB.  When Adams goes there, roll help that way.  

2.  SF's run D was much improved with Tartt/Alexander back instead of their backups, too.  MIN could get nothing in the run game.   

3.  On SF's O side - the major weakness SEA couldn't exploit - GB's run D.   If SEA had Chris Carson or even Rashad Penny, maybe it's a different matchup.  The thing is, we saw what SF can do run-wise, MIN's run D (and many others), just got worn out - and they're miles better than GB in stopping the run.    GB's D goes from a team with a far worse OL, and no RB's, to a team that's firing on all cylinders and throw 3 RB's at them fresh all game long.

4.  When SF doesn't run the ball - where GB is truly weakest - their LB & safeties vs. TE's and RB's.   That's kind of a huge problem with Kittle & co.  

5.  Coaching-wise, I'll give the nod to Shanny & co. - I have to say, the halftime adjustments they made vs. MIN, and even the snap decision to take out Witherspoon at RCB, that paid huge dividends.  Lafleur & Pettine called a great 1H plan - what I didn't like seeing was a really poor 2H adjustment.    It's not BoB or MIN-level bad, but I have to give the coaching edge to SF.  

So, bad matches on both sides of the ball...and the coaching edge to SF.  Man, I dunno.

Now, the way GB can win - get an early lead, and then sell out for the run, and get help against Kittle - and pray JimmyG wilts against pressure, or pulls 2+ mistake throws like he did against MIN.  But otherwise, honestly, this could be as lopsided as the MIN game.  I do expect ARod and Lafleur will try and take shots downfield, and not be so predictable on 1st, but man, this is a tough, tough matchup for the Pack.   Like I've said in the MIN-SF thread, this setup could not have gone any better for SF in the setup.   

I'll go with a 31-17 SF win, barring a big TO fest. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

That's crazy.  You already kind of sound like you're giving up and the game hasn't even started yet.  The Niners are the best team in the NFC, but they're not some unstoppable juggernaut.  Plus, single game elimination.  Tons of things can happen in a single game that can drastically turn the tide.

I think the 49ers win 9 out of 10 times.  So yeah, anything can happen, but let's be realistic.

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

This is a huge problem for GB, because...

1.  On O, GB's pass O is all Adams.   SF has 1 major weakness now that Tartt/Alexander are back for their zone scheme - RCB.  When Adams goes there, roll help that way.  

2.  SF's run D was much improved with Tartt/Alexander back instead of their backups, too.  MIN could get nothing in the run game.   

3.  On SF's O side - the major weakness SEA couldn't exploit - GB's run D.   If SEA had Chris Carson or even Rashad Penny, maybe it's a different matchup.  The thing is, we saw what SF can do run-wise, MIN's run D (and many others), just got worn out.    GB goes from a team with a far worse OL, and no RB's, to a team that's firing on all cylinders and throw 3 RB's at them fresh all game long.

4.  When SF doesn't run the ball - where GB is truly weakest - their LB & safeties vs. TE's and RB's.   That's kind of a huge problem with Kittle & co.  

Now, the way GB can win - get an early lead, and then sell out for the run, and get help against Kittle - and pray JimmyG wilts against pressure, or pulls 2+ mistake throws like he did against MIN.  But otherwise, honestly, this could be as lopsided as the MIN game.  I do expect ARod and Lafleur will try and take shots downfield, and not be so predictable on 1st, but man, this is a tough, tough matchup for the Pack.   Like I've said in the MIN-SF thread, this setup could not have gone any better for SF in the setup.   

I'll go with a 31-17 SF win, barring a big TO fest. 

GB matches up horribly with San Francisco. The niners can rush 4 effectively and then drop 7 back and Rodgers really has very poor talent at the WR position. Adams and essentially a bunch of #4s. This could be the game that makes WR a major draft priority, assuming they get waxed. 

Edited by Howler

Just now, Ragnarok said:

I think the 49ers win 9 out of 10 times.  So yeah, anything can happen, but let's be realistic.

The Niners aren't that good of a team, though.  They were literally fighting for the division title against the Seahawks in week 17 in a game where the refs missed a blatant defensive PI at the end of the game that should have put the ball on the one yard line.  I'm not blaming the refs, I'm just saying - they were super close to being in the wild card round this year.

They're the best team in the NFC, but they're not a team that just ran over the entire league all-season. 

• Like 1

Just now, showtime said:

The Niners aren't that good of a team, though.  They were literally fighting for the division title against the Seahawks in week 17 in a game where the refs missed a blatant defensive PI at the end of the game that should have put the ball on the one yard line.  I'm not blaming the refs, I'm just saying - they were super close to being in the wild card round this year.

They're the best team in the NFC, but they're not a team that just ran over the entire league all-season. 

Yeah, but the Seahawks are that annoying team that you can't blowout.  I'm convinced that they'd be within a score of an All-Pro team.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, showtime said:

4 blowouts.including a 30 point rout of these packers. Just because u guys played us tough doesn’t mean we’re not that good

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, showtime said:

Packers could win if certain things happen, but you can't compare THIS Niners defense to the one you saw late in the season. That defense was missing three key contributors and the stats prove with both Bosa/Ford on the field together, this pass rush is different level elite. Now, the Packers OL is very good and that will be a key match up in the game. 

I fully expect the Packers to adjust their game plan offensively and try to get Rodgers on a bunch of bootlegs or run a lot of quick WR screens. 

All I'm saying is the Packers have a chance to win the game.  He was essentially giving up already before the game even started.  Aaron Rodgers is still a great player.  You walk on the field with a guy like that leading your team in a single game elimination and you got more than just a little bit of a chance.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, showtime said:

All of what you say is true - but it can also be true that 1 team can match up so poorly with another that Team A can win 9/10 games over Team B if they played each other 10x.  That's SF & GB.

SF & the AFC champ, however, is another story.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1