NFC Championship: GB@SF

Manny/Patrick

Who will win?   

130 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• San Francisco 49ers
    • Green Bay Packers

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

For the record, the expected W/L for the Packers this season this year based on swapping the result of all "close" (defined as a win probability between 40 and 60 anytime within the last 5 minutes of the game) games was 12-4. So, they did look like a 13-3 team that yielded significant garbage points to make final results appear closer than they actually were.

SF was a terrible match-up, but GB did beat the AFC Super Bowl team on the road and 2/3 of the other NFC playoff teams they faced this season.

The "lucky breaks and gift calls" narrative (not your's, I know) is utter nonsense and ignorant. @Elky

Fortunately, you got them when they were playing their backup quarterback.  We did too, and unfortunately, I can't say that it mattered for the Vikings.  I don't know what our problem was this year.  Haha.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

For the record, the expected W/L for the Packers this season this year based on swapping the result of all "close" (defined as a win probability between 40 and 60 anytime within the last 5 minutes of the game) games was 12-4. So, they did look like a 13-3 team that yielded significant garbage points to make final results appear closer than they actually were.

so... this appears to be bs. Chicago didnt score late, nor minnesota or Detroit  in both teams first matchups. it actually goes for every one score game they had outside of  washington.

help me out.... what am i missing here?

8 hours ago, incognito_man said:

SF was a terrible match-up, but GB did beat the AFC Super Bowl team on the road and 2/3 of the other NFC playoff teams they faced this season.

The "lucky breaks and gift calls" narrative (not your's, I know) is utter nonsense and ignorant. @Elky

I'm not sure you wanna hang your hat on beating us without Mahomes.

• Like 5

I don't really see the problem here. Going into the season, I said that my hope if everything went well this season was the Packers going 10-11 wins and maybe winning the WC round game. I still think that's about where their talent level was. I was told I was wildly optimistic, even by most other Packers fans who were thinking more like 8-8. They heavily exceeded those expectations. They had pretty good luck with help and overall played way better football than I expected before the year started.

Sure they got whipped. It's an awful matchup for the Packers without a couple more pieces, but it's a great year 1 of a new coaching staff and front office working together and a huge step forward from where they were a year ago.

• Like 2

FWIW FO publishes their expected wins based on an average SoS and play performance (and they do account for game script in DVOA analysis): 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff/2019

Note that only 2 13W+ teams stayed at 13 - BAL and NO.   SF dropped to 12, KC stayed at 12.    But yes, likely for a lot of the reasons cited that showed up in season - GB dropped to 10.   They also still were the 10th ranked team. 

Schedule, luck & coaching differences often create the variance responsible for the gap in expected vs. actual W’s.     And for the most part it usually dings the top teams because of the above factors often combine for a magical combo to create a 12-13W season.   And why it’s so hard to reproduce the next year.  

To say GB wasn’t close to a 13W team or close to SF’s level of play during the regular season isn’t an insult, if ppl agree they were still very much playoff worthy.    And the fact it’s year 1 under a rookie HC and the flaws are very specific (2nd WR, faster ILB’s and a run stuffer up front) should give a lot more hope they can get to sustained top 3-4 contender status next year.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 9:09 AM, malak1 said:

Watching Darnell Savage get trucked is amazing.

It's nice knowing that the Green Bay Packers live rent free in your head. Man, you must've been so triggered that the team went 14-4 and made it to the NFCCG. Could probably hear your blood boil from over a mile away. 😂

43 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

It's nice knowing that the Green Bay Packers live rent free in your head. Man, you must've been so triggered that the team went 14-4 and made it to the NFCCG. Could probably hear your blood boil from over a mile away. 😂

lmao

Edited by malak1

On 1/22/2020 at 6:23 AM, spilltray said:

I don't really see the problem here. Going into the season, I said that my hope if everything went well this season was the Packers going 10-11 wins and maybe winning the WC round game. I still think that's about where their talent level was. I was told I was wildly optimistic, even by most other Packers fans who were thinking more like 8-8. They heavily exceeded those expectations. They had pretty good luck with help and overall played way better football than I expected before the year started.

Sure they got whipped. It's an awful matchup for the Packers without a couple more pieces, but it's a great year 1 of a new coaching staff and front office working together and a huge step forward from where they were a year ago.

This is a very fair assessment and one that is probably shared by a lot of Packer fans.  Most Cheeseheads on this site are very level-headed, and actually very knowledgable when it comes to the game of football.  They have a few very vociferous homers in their forum, but we could probably all say that about our own fan base.  I can't say I didn't enjoy seeing the Packers taking another savage beating at the hands of the 49ers, but as you said, spilltray, it was still a successful season.  The Packers are an ascending team.  I'm not confident in saying that about my Vikings.

• Like 1