Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

9 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Also, some teams factor in positional-value into the equation no matter what.  They're not going to have ANY R1 grades on an NT unless they have the testing, tape, and production of a Haloti Ngata or Vita Vea.  They're not going to have a R1 grade on an off-ball LB that isn't a Patrick Willis or Luke Kuechly.  They're not going to have a R1 grade on a safety that isn't Sean Taylor or a Woodson type (it's an viable reason why a prospect like Derwin James fell to #17 in his class).  If a prospect at a non-premium position isn't an out-and-out Top 3-5 prospect in his class AND the difference between him and what the team perceives as the "next best" 1-3 prospects at his respective position, some GM's just flatly are going to temper their grades accordingly.

One other thing to keep in mind is scheme fit.  I see a lot of players as "scheme specific" players this year.  When doing an overall NFL draft evaluation, I think there are easily 32 players that deserve 1st round grades.  However, if I do the same exercise for a specific team, I'm going to be dropping several of those players down the board (or off the board entirely) because they don't fit.  For example, a team like Seattle probably has a true 1st round grade on Linderbaum, while a team like Baltimore might not even have him in their board at all.

Teams could also drop guys based on need.  With specifics to Dallas since they were the catalyst for this topic, they may not have a 1st round grade on Kyle Hamilton because they already have Jayron Kearse, who is a nearly identical player, and you'd never play them together, so Hamilton doesn't bring them 1st round value.

• Like 1

Pelissero just put out there that Kaiir Elam is moving up the boards and is expected "at worst" to be the 4th CB taken.  This would put him clearly ahead of Booth and Gordon, as well as potentially above McDuffie as well (if true).

7 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Walker then Thib seems to be all the buzz

I reckon Thibodeaux is a media creation (at least as a top 5 pick). He will end up going in the back end of the top 10 at the very earliest.

Walker, Hutchinson, one of the corners (more likely Stingley, but maybe Sauce), then a run of 3 straight tackles, the other corner at 7, then it starts getting interesting from the Falcons onwards (I’ve heard they love Drake London. But could they slide back a few picks and still get him?) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I reckon Thibodeaux is a media creation (at least as a top 5 pick). He will end up going in the back end of the top 10 at the very earliest.

Walker, Hutchinson, one of the corners (more likely Stingley, but maybe Sauce), then a run of 3 straight tackles, the other corner at 7, then it starts getting interesting from the Falcons onwards (I’ve heard they love Drake London. But could they slide back a few picks and still get him?) 

That's a very real possibility for a top 7, wouldn't surprise me at all.  The Falcons could go many directions (Thibs, Johnson, any top 3 WR) but I really do think Willis is still a strong possibility at 8 for them.  Seattle would really be in a tough spot though if all three OL and both CBs are gone by 9.  Do they trade out, grab Johnson/Thibs, or maybe even reach for Penning in that scenario?  Could that scenario make the Jordan Davis semi-buzz at 9 a reality?

8 minutes ago, eh3034 said:

That's a very real possibility for a top 7, wouldn't surprise me at all.  The Falcons could go many directions (Thibs, Johnson, any top 3 WR) but I really do think Willis is still a strong possibility at 8 for them.  Seattle would really be in a tough spot though if all three OL and both CBs are gone by 9.  Do they trade out, grab Johnson/Thibs, or maybe even reach for Penning in that scenario?  Could that scenario make the Jordan Davis semi-buzz at 9 a reality?

I’ve heard a name connected with Seattle at 9 that will legitimately shock the world