Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

24 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

It's a hell of a call, a home run swing when many in Jax might have been happy to take the safer double.

I do not think the other finalists are safe, either.

Hutch cannot play lb, and he needs the wide 9 space that 5T would not give him. Icky has a lot of work to do and may be Greg Robinson. Neal has balance issues. Walker is actually pretty safe considering he can play even without a pass rush skill.

Techbert,
would go Sauce if Kayvon's personality scared me

Edited by Techbert

4 minutes ago, Techbert said:

I do not think the other finalists are safe, either.

Hutch cannot play lb, and he needs the wide 9 space that 5T would not give him. Icky has a lot of work to do and may be Greg Robinson. Neal has balance issues. Walker is actually pretty safe considering he can play even without a pass rush skill.

Techbert,
would go Sauce if Kayvon's personality scared me

Hutch can play OLB in a 3-4 imo.

27 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Think Walker is pretty safe truthfully, but I get what you mean. From a pass rush perspective there is a lot more guessing as far as a floor.

I don't think I'd call him "safe." Yeah, he's not going to suck. He'll at least be a quality run stopper and a guy who can get some pressure with effort. But when we're talking the #1 pick, that sort of player is a massive bust.

30 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

It's a hell of a call, a home run swing when many in Jax might have been happy to take the safer double.

Wouldn't surprise me. The Rams made the same call with Greg Robinson and lived to regret it. I get swinging for the fences, but the Jaguars really need to build up their talent level. That means hitting the layups.

It feels a bit like they're on a fast break with nobody between them and the basket, and instead of taking the layup, they're stopping to pull up for a three. Would I be fine with Steph Curry doing that? Sure. But the Jaguars' drafting has been more like Russell Westbrooks's three point shooting than Steph Curry's.

44 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

That J.J. Watt guy is decent.

J.J. Watt had 62 tackles, 21 TFLs, and 7 sacks and a good pressure rate in his final year in college. Not sure how you can compare Walker to him in terms of production.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I don't think I'd call him "safe." Yeah, he's not going to suck. He'll at least be a quality run stopper and a guy who can get some pressure with effort. But when we're talking the #1 pick, that sort of player is a massive bust.

Wouldn't surprise me. The Rams made the same call with Greg Robinson and lived to regret it. I get swinging for the fences, but the Jaguars really need to build up their talent level. That means hitting the layups.

It feels a bit like they're on a fast break with nobody between them and the basket, and instead of taking the layup, they're stopping to pull up for a three. 

Yeah, I have to agree. Betting on traits at 1st overall, and handing that dude over to a first-time DC puts a lot of pressure on those two individuals. 

7 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I have a hard time seeing Walker not ending up as an impact run defender who still puts up respectable pass rush production with his length/athletic profile and motor. Ideal #1 pick? No, but think it’s fairly established we’re looking at about the most underwhelming top of the draft since 2013.

Just now, .Buzz said:

I have a hard time seeing Walker not ending up as an impact run defender who still puts up respectable pass rush production with his length/athletic profile and motor. Ideal #1 pick? No, but think it’s fairly established we’re looking at about the most underwhelming top of the draft since 2013.

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. An effective run defender? Sure. But when I think of an impact run defender, I think of dudes who live in the backfield. Walker, at this point, is more of a strong team run defender than a great disruptor. And I'm not sure what qualifies as "respectable" pass rush production for you. It's weird because I was hyping the dude when people had him as a second round pick or a late first round pick. Now, I'm pumping the brakes on him. But it's a really huge swing on traits. I feel like it's not the best idea for a perennially bad team.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. An effective run defender? Sure. But when I think of an impact run defender, I think of dudes who live in the backfield. Walker, at this point, is more of a strong team run defender than a great disruptor. And I'm not sure what qualifies as "respectable" pass rush production for you. It's weird because I was hyping the dude when people had him as a second round pick or a late first round pick. Now, I'm pumping the brakes on him. But it's a really huge swing on traits. I feel like it's not the best idea for a perennially bad team.

That’s a fair take. I disagree (used to be in your camp in the early goings of diving into his cutups), but I get it.

He’s going to be a fascinating follow the next few years. 

Who normally posts that game thread that is like over/under on a bunch of prospects and some random like name Mr. Irrelevant and all of that? I remember last year I did terribly but picked the guy before Mr. Irrelevant. I'd like to fill that thread out today, but I don't know who typically makes it and if it's just not happening this year, in which case I'd take a few minutes to make it.

15 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Who normally posts that game thread that is like over/under on a bunch of prospects and some random like name Mr. Irrelevant and all of that? I remember last year I did terribly but picked the guy before Mr. Irrelevant. I'd like to fill that thread out today, but I don't know who typically makes it and if it's just not happening this year, in which case I'd take a few minutes to make it.

@goldfishwars this thread:

are you making it again this year?