Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

Very possible.  I love Isaiah Wilson.  I think he would go top half of the first if he had stayed at UGA another year, maybe top ten.  

I don't think he'd go much higher unless he dropped some weight and improved his agility.  As it is he might have to get moved inside to G, but he'd be a monster road grater there and still worth a late 1st in my opinion.  Just don't ask him to pull.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

This...isn't news.  Thomas, Becton, Wirfs, Wills are locks.  Jackson and Jones almost certain.  Wilson or Cleveland possible.

Emphasis on the minimum. When you couple it with all the recent speculation teams are going to favor OL this year given the COVID-19 restrictions (viewed as safer bets), the Erza Clevelad/Isaiah Wilson hype, we could see 8 tackles in round 1. For those keeping track at home, 8 tackles would be the most ever in round 1. I think that would be news. 

More likely we'll see 7, which would tie 2008. Still seems kind of hard to believe. 

12 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Jordyn Brooks has a LOT of helium right now.  PFF is very high on him and there have been things bleeding out onto Twitter over the past week that NFL teams are much higher on Brooks than draft twitter.

That might be true, but it won't be Green Bay that takes him in the first round.

11 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Honestly, gettting nearly half the votes out of 17 is kind of damning. 

I mean, it's not necessarily hard to figure out why.  He was significantly worse this year than last year production wise.  He's coming off of injury.

11 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Thomas is the safest, but he has plenty of ceiling as well.  I think he can be the best LT in football in 3-4 years.  Calling him "safe" seems like they want to say that he doesn't have the upside, which is ridiculous.  Only guy I could see maybe taking over Thomas is Wirfs.

I'd argue Wirfs is the safest, because I think at the very least he projects well as an OG.  Kinda reminds me of Brandon Scherff in a way.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Albright going out on a limb there.

As predictions go, it's about as tame as it gets

• Jedrick Wills
  • Andrew Thomas
  • Tristian Wirfs
  • Mekhi Becton

Then most likely two of:

• Josh Jones
  • Austin Jackson
  • Isaiah Wilson
  • Ezra Cleveland

99% of mocks are predicting this already

• Like 1

With the way the process has played out and limited team access to certain players, my guess is the guys who match or match as many of the following criteria have a significant advantage to be selected higher than their counterparts:

• Anyone who was a full participant at the combine who isn't Joe Burrow or Chase Young 
  • Anyone who played at the Senior Bowl (or other all-star senior game) or partook in practises
  • Anyone without a history of medicals
  • Anyone who has not undertaken or is recovering from medical procedures within the past three months
  • Anyone who played in a major conference

13 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

With the way the process has played out and limited team access to certain players, my guess is the guys who match or match as many of the following criteria have a significant advantage to be selected higher than their counterparts:

• Anyone who was a full participant at the combine who isn't Joe Burrow or Chase Young 
  • Anyone who played at the Senior Bowl (or other all-star senior game) or partook in practises
  • Anyone who has not undertaken or is recovering from medical procedures within the past three months

You’ve got to think this affects Tua the most. 

4 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

You’ve got to think this affects Tua the most. 

Yeah - although I'd imagine he's high profile enough for some teams to have put the extra mileage in where they can. 

Hardest hit have got to be mid-late round juniors, not least because teams are gonna be thinking the off-season work will be cut short (at the very least) and there's gonna be less prospect of those guys making the team through practise performances. 

25 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Ton of teams are going to play it safe.

If I was running a war room, I would be looking for smaller trade downs, netting 4/5/6/7 round picks, and look to cherry pick those guys that fell because they didn't post a 40 time. 

I think there will be more talent available in later rounds this year because of the lack of info, and also think that teams will have more info than others, based on their personal/professional networks. Vikings might have a 40 time on Tyler Johnson that the Dolphins don't have, that kind of thing.  

The strength of a team's scouting staff and relationships could really shine. A front office with a great network is really going to crush a Cincy, for example.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

I think this is where teams like the Giants, Panthers, and a few others have an advantage. With coaching staffs filled with guys recently taken from the college ranks, they have a lot more information on some of these players than other teams will. For instance, the Giants hired former longtime PSU DL coach Sean Spencer to coach their DL. They have to know more about Yetur Gross-Matos than just about any team. The Panthers, between Rhule and Brady, probably know more about Mims, Jefferson, and Burrow than anyone in the NFL ranks. Obviously those players don't fit the criteria you mentioned, but there are a lot of later round guys whose names we don't know that these new NFL coaches have information on that other teams won't be able to get due to the limitations surrounding the draft this year.

• Like 2