Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

10 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

In a poll of 17 NFL executives by The Athletic's Bob McGinn, Colorado WR Laviska Shenault was voted the likeliest wideout to be a draft bust.

Shenault received eight of the 17 votes, Baylor's Steven Mims got four, and Clemson's Tee Higgins received two to round out the top three in that poll.  Shenault underwent core-muscle surgery in late February after the Combine, and with the COVID-19 pandemic, teams haven't really been able to get their medical eyes on him.  “Mental and injury,” one scout replied when asked why Shenault was his choice to bust. “He’s always been the best guy on his team. You put him in one position and he’s just going to flounder. He’s head and shoulders in the bust factor above everyone else. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a big fall.”  Another scout compared Shenault to Cordarrelle Patterson in terms of his future NFL role.  "Little bit immature but, my God, is he big and powerful,” another scout said.  "He’s a power guy, and those guys play.”

FWIW, I like both Higgins and Shenault. I think Shenault is risky (and I hate how poor his effort is as a blocker; that must change), but he's a massive man with shocking athleticism and a bully mentality. I have noticed that he's very emotional on the field. If he can keep his head on straight, I think he can be a very good WR. Could see him having some attitude/diva problems, though. On Higgins, he's raw, but it's hard to doubt a guy who wins in contested catch situations like he does.

Well, Thomas is the best OT in the draft so him going off the board 1st would make sense. 

I think he can be a very good WR. Could see him having some attitude/diva problems, though

I could see him being a diva as in sulking if he plays poorly, but I dont see him as that flashy type of diva that we are used to seeing at WR. He plays with his heart on his sleeve. 

13 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

FWIW, I like both Higgins and Shenault. I think Shenault is risky (and I hate how poor his effort is as a blocker; that must change), but he's a massive man with shocking athleticism and a bully mentality. I have noticed that he's very emotional on the field. If he can keep his head on straight, I think he can be a very good WR. Could see him having some attitude/diva problems, though. On Higgins, he's raw, but it's hard to doubt a guy who wins in contested catch situations like he does.

These guys are in their 20's now, if they weren't a willing blocking in HS, and then weren't a willing blocker in a Division 1 football program in a major conference, expecting them to be a willing blocker at the hardest level is a bit of wishful thinking.

33 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

In a poll of 17 NFL executives by The Athletic's Bob McGinn, Colorado WR Laviska Shenault was voted the likeliest wideout to be a draft bust.

Honestly, gettting nearly half the votes out of 17 is kind of damning. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Thomas is the safest, but he has plenty of ceiling as well.  I think he can be the best LT in football in 3-4 years.  Calling him "safe" seems like they want to say that he doesn't have the upside, which is ridiculous.  Only guy I could see maybe taking over Thomas is Wirfs.

Thomas
Wirfs
Becton
Wills
Jones
Wilson
Cleveland
Niang
Jackson
Peart

31 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

These guys are in their 20's now, if they weren't a willing blocking in HS, and then weren't a willing blocker in a Division 1 football program in a major conference, expecting them to be a willing blocker at the hardest level is a bit of wishful thinking.

I'm not so sure about that. Some guys have a wake-up call when they're no longer the best player on the field and have other superior players on their butts to do the little things well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Shenault received eight of the 17 votes, Baylor's Steven Mims got four, and Clemson's Tee Higgins received two to round out the top three in that poll.  Shenault underwent core-muscle surgery in late February after the Combine, and with the COVID-19 pandemic, teams haven't really been able to get their medical eyes on him.  “Mental and injury,” one scout replied when asked why Shenault was his choice to bust. “He’s always been the best guy on his team. You put him in one position and he’s just going to flounder. He’s head and shoulders in the bust factor above everyone else. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a big fall.”  Another scout compared Shenault to Cordarrelle Patterson in terms of his future NFL role.  "Little bit immature but, my God, is he big and powerful,” another scout said.  "He’s a power guy, and those guys play.”

Glad I'm not alone in that thinking. Think that guy has huge bust written all over him.

Edited by Ray Reed

19 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Thomas is the safest, but he has plenty of ceiling as well.  I think he can be the best LT in football in 3-4 years.  Calling him "safe" seems like they want to say that he doesn't have the upside, which is ridiculous.  Only guy I could see maybe taking over Thomas is Wirfs.

Yeah, maybe just word it as "lowest floor" or "least bust potential"

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Hope to God this isn't based on actual info

Bill's moving down- his history points to it and he kind of alluded to it in his pre-draft call. 

One to watch for: Chicago sends their two 2's to NE for their 1st and a 3rd

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

So much is determined on where a WR lands vs who is he is as a prospect. Hard to say who a bust could be until you know where they end up.

• Like 1

Idk if y’all are into podcasts, but during these times I’ve stumbled upon Locked On NFL. They’re doing a mock draft with each teams podcast guy(s) acting as GM in the draft. It gives you a lot of insight on how the community around the team is thinking. They do about 6 picks a day so they go really into each prospect and the situation and all that jazz. Highly recommend it. 

So far this is how it’s played out:

1. Burrow

2. Young

3. Okudah

4. Tua (LAC trade with NYG)

5. Herbert 

6. Wirfs (NYG from LAC)

7. Simmons

8.. Wills

9. D Brown

10. Thomas

11. Beckton

12. Lamb

13. Jeudy

14. Ruggs (MIN trade with TB)

15. Kinlaw 

16. Henderson

17. Love (IND trade with DAL)

18 Chaisson

19. Terrell

20. Jackson

21. Aiujk (spelling) 

22. Jones (TB from MIN)

23. Ruiz

24. Murray

25. Fulton

26. Delpit

So yeah..I look forward to it everyday bc I’ve been geeking out on the draft so much. 

Sorry if I wasted your time

• Like 2