Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

38 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Bc a lot of tweeners fail in the NFL.

But he’s not necessarily a tweener. He’s just versatile. I think part of the issue and conflict people are having is that, sticking at one position implies you aren’t getting the most of out him. Don’t any of you think he can be a Ryan Shazier type player if he were to be a LB?

33 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Just because in college he played all over and excelled doesn't mean you can't stick him at one of those spots and watch him flourish.

I'm not sure tweener is the right word for him just because he has versatility.

Oh I don't disagree you can't. I think he will be a great player also. Where to put him is my one reservation. It's a complicated league and if you guess wrong, he'll fall behind in development IMO

5 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

But he’s not necessarily a tweener. He’s just versatile. I think part of the issue and conflict people are having is that, sticking at one position implies you aren’t getting the most of out him. Don’t any of you think he can be a Ryan Shazier type player if he were to be a LB?

You're right, probably a better term. Still, that conflict could possibly be a problem if he's better suited for one position but is playing another

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Except it isn't just Thuney vs. a draft pick.  It's Thuney vs. a draft pick PLUS $13M+ in cap space.  I think you'd be hard pressed to find any team willing to give up a FRP for Thuney.

Well yeah, of course it is - but it's also Thuney versus draft pick in a weak interior class with the prospect of a vastly shortened off-season. As of now, the Browns have almost 40m in cap space. The Lions and Eagles have almost 30m and 7 other teams have over 20m. The cap is expected to spike up to 240m in 2021, you could sign him to whatever deal you wanted. Late FRP is a steep price perhaps, but probably worth a mid-round 2nd pick, or early 3rd rounder if you need interior offensive line help. 

7 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Well yeah, of course it is - but it's also Thuney versus draft pick in a weak interior class with the prospect of a vastly shortened off-season. As of now, the Browns have almost 40m in cap space. The Lions and Eagles have almost 30m and 7 other teams have over 20m. The cap is expected to spike up to 240m in 2021, you could sign him to whatever deal you wanted. Late FRP is a steep price perhaps, but probably worth a mid-round 2nd pick, or early 3rd rounder if you need interior offensive line help. 

Except none of those teams are an IOL away from being a Super Bowl-caliber team.  And the further away you get from the first round, the less likely the Patriots are going to be willing to deal him.  History doesn't bode well for flipping an IOL for a draft pick.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Except none of those teams are an IOL away from being a Super Bowl-caliber team.  And the further away you get from the first round, the less likely the Patriots are going to be willing to deal him.  History doesn't bode well for flipping an IOL for a draft pick.

So what? 

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Just because in college he played all over and excelled doesn't mean you can't stick him at one of those spots and watch him flourish.

I'm not sure tweener is the right word for him just because he has versatility.

I'm guessing my mindset is always the learning curve from NCAAF to NFL is tough enough learning and excelling at 1 position at the next level. Now if he is splitting time at 3 positions right off the bat, that makes the curve more difficult right? I feel like at least he should play most of his snaps at 1 spot, dominate it and then let him expand his skillset

Just now, CWood21 said:

Teams aren't going to pay a premium simply because Thuney is proven.

Because? Three different teams paid premium picks for Brandin Cooks. Proven commodities in a Covid-hit off-season at weak positions in this draft would be a smart move for anyone who needs the help. 

2 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Because? Three different teams paid premium picks for Brandin Cooks. Proven commodities in a Covid-hit off-season at weak positions in this draft would be a smart move for anyone who needs the help. 

I tend to agree that trading for a good interior OL is almost always a good decision especially since the whole OL landscape in the NFL is pretty weak compared to other positions. Although using BOB's poor decision making in an argument isnt the best way to make a point even if I agree with it. I think of the teams mentioned Philly and Cleveland could get into playoff contention again soon. Cleveland had 0 OL to allow for their playmakers to make plays in bunches and Philly has their QBOTF, if they can get some weapons and sure up their OL they could be a threat with Sanders getting experience too 

6 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I tend to agree that trading for a good interior OL is almost always a good decision especially since the whole OL landscape in the NFL is pretty weak compared to other positions. Although using BOB's poor decision making in an argument isnt the best way to make a point even if I agree with it. I think of the teams mentioned Philly and Cleveland could get into playoff contention again soon. Cleveland had 0 OL to allow for their playmakers to make plays in bunches and Philly has their QBOTF, if they can get some weapons and sure up their OL they could be a threat with Sanders getting experience too 

But would you trade your FRP for him?