Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

2 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Thuney isn’t worth anything near a first rounder 

He was 2nd team all pro last year and coming off his best season, played on two Super Bowl winning teams. If you're picking late 1st or early 2nd and you need a guard, why would you assume you're gonna get anything like that in a weak class at those spots? Not least the acclimatising rookies will have to do anyway, but a potential lost offseason due to Covid on top. It's a good year to take proven commodities and not assume what's in the box is gonna be better.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Best of luck to them taking an edge in this class like Chaisson and thinking that'll be enough.

Top 5 in pressures since his rookie year in 2016 in the league. If you need pass rush, Yan is your guy.

Baffles me that people think a rookie in a weak class at the position in a Covid impacted offseason is gonna be a better bet than Yan.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Baffles me that people think a rookie in a weak class at the position in a Covid impacted offseason is gonna be a better bet than Yan.

I get you also have to pay Yan, but the guy is also plenty worth it and reportedly they offered Clowney in the $15-$17M range. So the $ is in the ballpark for him.

26 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

At some point you're gonna need an edge who can rush the passer, something you would get with Ngakoue that you don't with Clowney. Clark just went and won a Super Bowl with the Chiefs. What's the alternative at this point?

Look, you wont get much gruff from Seattle fans here about trading for Ngak. But we don't get to make that decision. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Finebaum works for ESPN. You sure Rotoworld didn't just report something he said?

Nope.  This was him on a video posted by Rotoworld.  He was moderating a live mock draft being held by Rotoworld writers, including Josh Norris (who is kind of disturbing live) and was providing his own takes on the picks.  Was a Quarantine edition, so it was a Zoom conference where he was shooting from his phone.

3 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

That's my only real problem with Simmons; where the hell does he play? I guess you can just move him all over and play many different positions but that doesn't settle well with me. I've been very open about hating tweeners though so it's probably just me

Personally think he'd excel at FS and WLB. Play him at either one and you get a stud.

11 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

why can’t he at very least be Derain James? I remember, and it weren’t to this extent, people had questions about where to play Jalen Ramsey. I don’t know why people are overthinking it tbh. I think he can be what you want him to be and he’s thrive

Yeah - Cosell thinks James is is closest comparison and he would be the template for utilisation. 

14 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Bc a lot of tweeners fail in the NFL.

Just because in college he played all over and excelled doesn't mean you can't stick him at one of those spots and watch him flourish.

I'm not sure tweener is the right word for him just because he has versatility.

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, when was the last time the Patriots were in this position?

Supposedly Belichick has a formula by position and it devalues shorter quarterbacks. One of his long term aides mentioned that recently. It might have been Michael Lombardi. I'm not sure. I didn't save the link. It was during the recent Tua discussion and whether Lombardi was trying to help the Patriots by putting out false info on Tua. Anyway, the summary was that Belichick has put together a mathematical formula at each position dating to his years with the Browns in the '90s. Regarding quarterbacks it said that 6 feet fared so poorly within the formula that it would probably require a long string of outstanding seasons to overcome the height aspect and be considered draftable by New England.

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

He was 2nd team all pro last year and coming off his best season, played on two Super Bowl winning teams. If you're picking late 1st or early 2nd and you need a guard, why would you assume you're gonna get anything like that in a weak class at those spots? Not least the acclimatising rookies will have to do anyway, but a potential lost offseason due to Covid on top. It's a good year to take proven commodities and not assume what's in the box is gonna be better.

Except it isn't just Thuney vs. a draft pick.  It's Thuney vs. a draft pick PLUS $13M+ in cap space.  I think you'd be hard pressed to find any team willing to give up a FRP for Thuney.

• Like 1