Fire Pettine

MacReady

37 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think it's going to happen .. the drumbeats are getting louder.

Silverstein has never once that I can recall made an out on a limb prediction.

He only regurgitates what 1265 approves of being regurgitated.

Those who desire Pettine to be gone may indeed get their wish.

17 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

With LaFleur's relationship with Saleh and the jump that the Niners D made, I think that Richard makes a lot of sense. Our personnel (outside of ILB) seems to be a good fit for the Seattle scheme and getting something out of Josh Jackson would mean something to Gute. 

The fact that the whispers have started makes me think LaFleur is at least considering a change and after the Capers experience, I'd rather get rid of a coordinator too early than too late. This defense should've been much better than it was. 

If we go to a scheme playing more zone with our DBs just for the benefit of Jackson I'll freak. 

Saleh isnt leaving the DC spot in SF for GB just cuz.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Would Leonhard run a 4-3?  Would he stand on sideline?

@Packerraymond, @CWood21, @AlexGreen#20.  

Wade Philips would stand on sideline.

I'm cool with Wade Phillips. He seems to have an immediate positive impact. We have the corners to support his system, and the edge rushers. Not sure what else he would want tbh

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

He technically would be a disciple of the system. As its what kept him employed for years.

True true.  I think my disagreement that Leonard is a younger Pettine is based on Leonard's exposure to other systems and DC's, enough so that he's probably got a more global outlook on defensive strategy and the position.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

If we go to a scheme playing more zone with our DBs just for the benefit of Jackson I'll freak. 

Saleh isnt leaving the DC spot in SF for GB just cuz.

Huh, none of your reply is anything I said?

Richard was with Saleh in Seattle. I was not saying Saleh would come to GB..it would be Richard as DC here, not Saleh. The connections make sense and LaFleur has  experience on teams that run the Seattle defense. Jackson being a better fit is an ancillary benefit not the sole reason for the change. 

Edited by TheBitzMan

Again it seems like SPEED is a recurring theme with the Packers.  It happened to Atlanta in the NFC championship game and now it happened again to the 49ers. Speed has been a major issue on both offence and defence for a long time.

Gute has been actively trying to add speed on our team since he took charge, particularly on defence. He has been obsessed with adding SPARQ  prospects on the roster by adding the likes of King, Alexander,  Savage,  Burks and Gary.

Now, the reason our defence played so badly against the 49ers wasn't just simply down to lack of speed but also physicality. We got bullied at the LOS and opened up holes all day long. The speed issue came into play when Mostert broke through and our linebackers simply weren't quick enough to react. The angles our DB took didn't help either but that is fixable. Pettine schematically couldn't adjust.  The fact that Gute never addressed the LB issue in the draft and free agency is partly the blame too but hey its impossible to fix every single position. There will always be positions with some shortcomings, and as shortcomings go Martinez is pretty damn good and reliable player to have -  it could be a lot worse. The real issue was our struggle to pair him up with someone who can complement him. Burks or Josh Jones was supposed to be that guy. Back to the drawing board for Gute. LaFleur may feel a change in coordinator and scheme will be necessary. If we want to make it to the Superbowl we need to find a way to get past the 49ers.

Now Gute needs to continue to do the same with our offence. In recent years for whatever reason it seemed we have prioritised height over speed at WR. Allison, Lazard, EQ, MVS, Kumerow, and many various UDFAs who we brought in for a look - only MVS out of that group had genuine speed.  I'm not sure why we moved away from smaller,  quick and shifty receiver types in the Adams, Jennings, Cobb, Jones, Driver mold that Rodgers had so much success with.  Nelson was an outlier not the norm but instead it looked like we tried to find more Nelson types instead of Jenning types. I hope Gute will re-adjust our WR recruitment strategy for FA and the draft.

I suspect our next draft will be focused on offence with a heavy emphasis on speed and SPARQ scores. If he smart he will draft speedy WR, RB and TEs. 

Just now, TheBitzMan said:

Huh, none of your reply is anything I said?

Richard was with Saleh is Seattle. I was not saying Saleh would come to GB..it would be Richard as DC here, not Saleh. The connections makes sense and LaFleur has a lot of experience on teams that run the Seattle defense. Jackson being a better fit is an ancillary benefit not the sole reason for the change. 

Sorry, I didn't know if you meant Robert when you said Richard, since you talked so much about the 9ers.. That part I'll take back.  Yes I do not want those DC's to come in if they cant adopt a more man-based attack. Pettine does play zone concepts as well if you weren't aware. So what I'm reading is that you want to play almost pure zone? This I would not like, as stated.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Disagree, He needs to be lined up outside the G. He's an EDGE the same way that Cameron Jordan is an EDGE.

Or ILB (nobody but me remembers this but some dude went off on me for saying Kumerow doesn't get open then days later said Gary could play ILB. Real football genius.)

• Like 2