Fire Pettine

MacReady

15 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

Pettine has to go. His job was to get his unit prepared for what the 49ers do, and the responsibility is not so much to stop them cold but to help keep his team in the game, which he failed. I was embarrassing and that's not cool.

Maybe lay off the sauce next time, boss.

1 hour ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Tbh I’d bet this happens all the time. Didn’t Bakhtiari do the same thing with the Hands to the Face vs. Lions?

Yea this kind of stuff happens all the time, from the HS level to the pro’s. Nothing remarkable about it. Coaches & players talk to refs if they notice an opponent is repeatedly getting away with something. 

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

Yeah. I wont' speak to Pettine, but I really wish MM would have been reactionary when domination happened to Capers in the playoffs because it was telling of ineptitude to come.

Honestly, Capers never had a loss close to this bad.  The 2012 49ers game was rough, but that was just not having the personnel on the edge combined with very little film on Kaepernick.  That was one guy that the defense just couldn't deal with.  The 2016 Falcons game was trying to defend the 6th highest scoring offense of all time with whatever CBs you could find yelling from the locker room.  2009 was pretty bad I guess, but it was also his first year as coordinator and they were still missing a lot of pieces.

But never did they just get absolutely dominated by a basic phase of the game like they did here.  This was a special kind of failure.

• Like 1

Wow. LaFleur had the opportunity to back his defensive coordinator there and then in front of the media and he did not. That spoke VOLUMES to what he's thinking. He's gone. Guaranteed. 

I just don't see LaFleur chasing after 72 years old Wade Phillips. If his previous coaching hires is anything to go by he will look to hire the next up and coming coordinator. That might rule out retreads as well such as Richard Smith, Frank Bush, Perry Fewell, Greg Manusky and Joe Barry - all whom has some kind of link with LaFleur, directly or indirectly. Having said that a retread is less likely to be hired away for a head coaching opportunity so there's that stability factor to consider.

Kris Richards has to be the favourite in my mind. 2nd choice is probably Joe Woods if he's yet to fully commit to Cleveland. If Raheem Morris is somehow available I think he would jump right to the top of the list. These are the three key guys for LaFleur to look out for. I think Joe Woods is the only one to have ran a 3-4 defence, please correct me if i'm wrong. There's a very high likelihood that Richards takes a coordinator gig elsewhere, Woods commits to Cleveland and Morris continues to be unavailable and that leads us to the next candidates below:

Dark horse candidates should be Jeff Ulbrich and Aubrey Pleasant.

Extreme outside candidates I consider to be Marquand Manuel, DeMeco Ryans and Tyrone McKenzie.

If he were to look outside of his working history and network of contacts then Jim Leonard has to be seriously considered. Maybe Teryl Austin, James Bettcher could be considered.

Mike Smith is the only one I would seriously consider as an in-house candidate. However he's basically best mates with Pettine and there's a strong chance he will leave with him and remove himself out of consideration for the coordinator gig out of respect for Pettine.

Most of the Packers defensive staff are Pettine hires plus some McCarthy holdovers so we're looking at losing most, if not all of the coaching staff. Get ready for that guys! xD

Cleveland, Dallas, New England, Tennesse, New York Giants, Philadelphia, Detroit, Minnesota, LA Rams are all either looking for defensive coordinators or position coaches. There seems to be alot of defensive line vacancies around the NFL at the moment, if Montgomery is fired it will be tough to find a good coach amongst all the competition.

By the way I would love to see Mennenga fired. I was never convinced of that hiring in the first place and we compounded that problem by retaining a ST assistant from the Zook era - Maurice Drayton. He should be fired too. ST was bad and only lucked out on Ervin to get our unit remotely functional.

Edited by Chili

20 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

Just my 2 cents....Pettine is toast.  They're just figuring out how to communicate the justification for it. 

I hope LaFleur is allowed to do what he sees fit with his coaching staff .. lots of reports and speculation that it was suggested by management that Pettine stay on for this 2019 season.  Also something happened with the potential Darren Rizzi special team hire.  Hopefully LaFleur now has enough juice to have full control of anything assistant coach related.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear that LaFleur has been eyeing this potential Pettine firing for quite some time.

I'm going to follow @Chili's post here and throw out DeMeco Ryans. Dude played for an underwhelming Alabama team and then was one of the best MLB's in the NFL for a good 8 years. He's also been successful as a coach and his football camps have been quite successful from what I've heard. High IQ, high character, no reason we shouldn't consider him. Raheem Morris is a no brainer and I wouldn't mind James Bettcher either.

5 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Also something happened with the potential Darren Rizzi special team hire.  

The SOMETHING that happened  is called cash that the Packers did not want to pay out.

With GB still paying Mac and (at least a portion of ) his merry band of coaching misfits in 2019, the organization did not want to go into the red by paying top $ for coaches like Rizzi.

Wonder if financial consideration played a role in "encouraging" MLF to retain Pettine as well.

According to a report from Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the Packers won’t be hiring top available special teams coach Darren Rizzi, with cost believed to be the deal breaker in negotiations.

Rizzi, who interviewed for the Dolphins’ head-coaching job, likely wanted to be paid as a top assistant to take the job under LaFleur in Green Bay. The Packers, who are paying the first year of LaFleur’s new deal and the final year of Mike McCarthy’s contract, reportedly balked at Rizzi’s demands.

It doesn’t sound as if the fit between LaFleur and Rizzi was a problem. Per Silverstein, the two had a “great visit” in Green Bay last week.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/21/packers-lose-special-teams-darren-rizzi-coach/

5 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

The SOMETHING that happened  is called cash that the Packers did not want to pay out.

With GB still paying Mac and (at least a portion of ) his merry band of coaching misfits in 2019, the organization did not want to go into the red by paying top $ for coaches like Rizzi.

Wonder if financial consideration played a role in "encouraging" MLF to retain Pettine as well.

According to a report from Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the Packers won’t be hiring top available special teams coach Darren Rizzi, with cost believed to be the deal breaker in negotiations.

Rizzi, who interviewed for the Dolphins’ head-coaching job, likely wanted to be paid as a top assistant to take the job under LaFleur in Green Bay. The Packers, who are paying the first year of LaFleur’s new deal and the final year of Mike McCarthy’s contract, reportedly balked at Rizzi’s demands.

It doesn’t sound as if the fit between LaFleur and Rizzi was a problem. Per Silverstein, the two had a “great visit” in Green Bay last week.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/21/packers-lose-special-teams-darren-rizzi-coach/

Yeah .. that's what I recall.  It sucks to see LaFleur have his guy ready to go only to get undercut by management.  Then Rizzi goes on to lead the top special teams unit in the NFL while we finish in our customary spot in the lower 20's.  It's ridiculous.  The Packers are a cash cow and probably got caught pinching pennies. 

16 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah .. that's what I recall.  It sucks to see LaFleur have his guy ready to go only to get undercut by management.  Then Rizzi goes on to lead the top special teams unit in the NFL while we finish in our customary spot in the lower 20's.  It's ridiculous.  The Packers are a cash cow and probably got caught pinching pennies. 

The Packers were not a CASH COW last fiscal year.

"The Green Bay Packers reported a profit of just $724,000 in their latest fiscal year ...The Packers’ profit in the year ending March 31 was down 97.9% from $34.1 million in the year ending March 2018 and more than 99% from the record $75 million in the previous fiscal year."

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-packers-on-the-decline-20190714-ftslrmrj35b6xp2xxth6lczhzu-story.html

Paying top $ for a ST Coordinator and paying both Pettine and another DC would undoubtedly have pushed the Packers into the red.

1 minute ago, TheOnlyThing said:

"The Green Bay Packers reported a profit of just $724,000 in their latest fiscal year ...The Packers’ profit in the year ending March 31 was down 97.9% from $34.1 million in the year ending March 2018 and more than 99% from the record $75 million in the previous fiscal year."

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-packers-on-the-decline-20190714-ftslrmrj35b6xp2xxth6lczhzu-story.html

Paying top $ for a ST Coordinator and paying both Pettine and another DC would undoubtedly have pushed the Packers into the red.

LOL. I've got some ocean front property in Arizona if you think the Packers can't afford a DC.

16 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

You're not serious? 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Chili said:

Wow. LaFleur had the opportunity to back his defensive coordinator there and then in front of the media and he did not. That spoke VOLUMES to what he's thinking. He's gone. Guaranteed. 

I just don't see LaFleur chasing after 72 years old Wade Phillips. If his previous coaching hires is anything to go by he will look to hire the next up and coming coordinator. That might rule out retreads as well such as Richard Smith, Frank Bush, Perry Fewell, Greg Manusky and Joe Barry - all whom has some kind of link with LaFleur, directly or indirectly. Having said that a retread is less likely to be hired away for a head coaching opportunity so there's that stability factor to consider.

Kris Richards has to be the favourite in my mind. 2nd choice is probably Joe Woods if he's yet to fully commit to Cleveland. If Raheem Morris is somehow available I think he would jump right to the top of the list. These are the three key guys for LaFleur to look out for. I think Joe Woods is the only one to have ran a 3-4 defence, please correct me if i'm wrong. There's a very high likelihood that Richards takes a coordinator gig elsewhere, Woods commits to Cleveland and Morris continues to be unavailable and that leads us to the next candidates below:

Dark horse candidates should be Jeff Ulbrich and Aubrey Pleasant.

Extreme outside candidates I consider to be Marquand Manuel, DeMeco Ryans and Tyrone McKenzie.

If he were to look outside of his working history and network of contacts then Jim Leonard has to be seriously considered. Maybe Teryl Austin, James Bettcher could be considered.

Mike Smith is the only one I would seriously consider as an in-house candidate. However he's basically best mates with Pettine and there's a strong chance he will leave with him and remove himself out of consideration for the coordinator gig out of respect for Pettine.

Most of the Packers defensive staff are Pettine hires plus some McCarthy holdovers so we're looking at losing most, if not all of the coaching staff. Get ready for that guys! xD

Cleveland, Dallas, New England, Tennesse, New York Giants, Philadelphia, Detroit, Minnesota, LA Rams are all either looking for defensive coordinators or position coaches. There seems to be alot of defensive line vacancies around the NFL at the moment, if Montgomery is fired it will be tough to find a good coach amongst all the competition.

By the way I would love to see Mennenga fired. I was never convinced of that hiring in the first place and we compounded that problem by retaining a ST assistant from the Zook era - Maurice Drayton. He should be fired too. ST was bad and only lucked out on Ervin to get our unit remotely functional.

Mennenga was an afterthought.  The guy they had in … Rizzi I think his name was went to New Orleans when we wouldn't pay him.  Guess what?  His special teams there were ranked #1 this season.  Penney wise and pound foolish on the Packer brass for that one.   Sorry, should have read the new posts as this has been mentioned numerous times.  Still sucks … Packers screwed themselves on this for what?

Edited by coachbuns

53 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

I heard that Rizzi was coming to Green Bay after his meeting with LaFleur.  During the meeting Rizzi threw out a number that would satisfy him for compensation and LaFleur indicated that he thought the number was ok but had to run it by Murphy.  MURPHY then entered the picture and said it was ok to offer Rizzi the job....but instead of the number Rizzi wanted, had LeFleur offer him less.  That boiled Rizzi.  By the time Murphy came up on the number to the one Rizzi wanted, Rizzi was so mad that he took the New Orleans job.