2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

The injuries are WAY overstated for Bulaga. He's played 30/32 games the last two seasons and doesn't seem to have the back/shoulder/knee type chronic issues that are a constant problem like Sitton and Lang. Tackles have gotten 3rd contracts but thats been a while now obviously. Physically he looks good and linemen age well compared to other positions.

I'm not saying it's a slam dunk, but don't write a Bulaga extension off with so much certainty.

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

The injuries are WAY overstated for Bulaga. He's played 30/32 games the last two seasons and doesn't seem to have the back/shoulder/knee type chronic issues that are a constant problem like Sitton and Lang. Tackles have gotten 3rd contracts but thats been a while now obviously. Physically he looks good and linemen age well compared to other positions.

I'm not saying it's a slam dunk, but don't write a Bulaga extension off with so much certainty.

He's played in 83% of the offensive snaps this year and and 72% of the snaps last year.  In 2018, he missed more than a snap in four different games on top of the two games he missed.  This year, he missed more than a snap in 7 games but he played in all 16 games.  Of the 32 games over the last two seasons, he's played in 85% or less of the snaps in 9 of those games.  He might not miss a ton of games in terms of GP, but he's still missing time.  He's played in 50% or less of the games the last two years in 7 of those games.  He's always dealing with injuries.

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, Bulaga is gone.  He ain’t coming back.  It’s going to suck, but two years from now we’ll be better for it.  

I'm still going with Bulaga returning, because it frees up a premium pick for this year. DL/WR/ILB can be the top picks if there is no (pressing) need for a RT this year. What reinforces my belief that he returns is that if he misses a game or two in 2020, there is a decent chance Veldheer comes back and subs in, if required. Rodgers age also factors in to keeping a good O line together.

I don't see the scenario where we "are better for it", we are worse if he goes, in the shorter term.......... and about the same longer term.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

Not having Bulaga and having to play guys like Hunter and Mack 2x a year is really scary. 

Letting Bulaga walk is foolish unless you're turning right around and dumping a bunch of money into another RT. Leaving a hole at RT during your SB window is idiotic. If you feel the need to free up money on the OL, the obvious choice is resign Bulaga and cut Linsley. The difference between Linsley and Patrick at center this year was pretty negligible.

An OL of Bahk, Jenkins, Patrick, Turner, Bulaga is much stronger overall than Bahk, Jenkins, Linsley, Turner, rookie/middle tier RT IMO. 

18 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

Not having Bulaga and having to play guys like Hunter and Mack 2x a year is really scary. 

If we let Bulaga follow the money we should seriously be convincing Veldheer to play one more season with us and draft a tackle pretty high to develop behind him.  I pray they aren't counting on Spriggs in there next year...  :o

15 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Letting Bulaga walk is foolish unless you're turning right around and dumping a bunch of money into another RT. Leaving a hole at RT during your SB window is idiotic. If you feel the need to free up money on the OL, the obvious choice is resign Bulaga and cut Linsley. The difference between Linsley and Patrick at center this year was pretty negligible. An OL of Bahk, Jenkins, Patrick, Turner, Bulaga is much stronger overall than Bahk, Jenkins, Linsley, Turner, rookie/middle tier RT IMO. 

Why all the Linsley chatter? The guy's not a contract issue till 2021 when he's going UFA.
Dont want to extend him now? Fine. But is his play deemed so deficient that he needs replacing *now* - so we can save a few bucks - when we're not in cap hell?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Leader said:

Why all the Linsley chatter? The guy's not a contract issue till 2021 when he's going UFA.
Dont want to extend him now? Fine. But is his play deemed so deficient that he needs replacing *now* - so we can save a few bucks - when we're not in cap hell?

That's why I said "if you feel the need." Not advocating for it but I'd sacrifice Linsley if it meant saving Bulaga for the next 2 years.