OT- RIP KOBE

Humble_Beast

Just now, MWil23 said:

I'm 100% serious. I'm not blaming TMZ for breaking it, but I 100% blame their sources for leaking it first.

Im 100% blaming them.  That should be the first question they after verifying authenticity and reporting.

No lie, I’d fire an editor for that.  That’s bush league as hell.

The public has a right to know, but not before his wife and children can be told in a proper manner and have support personnel available.

• Like 3

See, the media leaking things before the family is informed really doesn’t bother me that much. Now I’m the one who sounds calloused, I know.

Reporting it before you’re sure of the facts is a huge problem for me though.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I agree that she's a beast, but I highly doubt people would feel this kind of loss over it. Kobe was a freaking HERO to so many people. He is iconic. Serena Williams is just an awesome tennis player.

Yeah this is how I feel too

Beyond basketball, for someone like me and I imagine for a lot of others as well, Kobe Bryant is just a huge part of the culture and even more-so if you had anything to do with sports.  Serena Williams is great and would definitely create shockwaves, but I don't think it would have nearly the emotional impact to the casual person as Kobe's has had.  

Same with Tiger Woods.  It would be a huge certainly, but there's just something about Kobe Bryant.  Maybe I'm wrong and I'm just coming from personal experience, but it has always felt like Bryant has had a far bigger role in 2000s culture than those two did.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

No. Its just that its ramped up so hard with BBall fans because of social media and such. That it will burn out quicker.

With Earnhart. You had tv, then had to wait for the news that night or newspaper the next day in most places. It didnt burn like wildfire right off the bat, it kept ramping up and lingering cause of that and all the safety features addressed due to it.

i wasnt and am not a big basketball guy but this one got me hard. It actually has little to do with basketball for me, i greatly appreciated his work ethic and determination. He was truly special in those ways, not just in a basketball sense either, little bit cliche but he was really one of those guys that would have succeeded at pretty much anything. He transcended the sport, and its evidenced by so many people being touched outside of "bball fans".

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'd also look at Tiger Woods and either of the Williams sisters drawing this sort of response. Maybe Mike Tyson, but less about his dominance in boxing. 

Another name? John Madden. Not because of his coaching career, but because of the game that bares his name...

Nah Madden, not even close. Nor the Williams sisters. Not Mike Tyson either. Tiger, yes. 

3 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Yeah this is how I feel too

Beyond basketball, for someone like me and I imagine for a lot of others as well, Kobe Bryant is just a huge part of the culture and even more-so if you had anything to do with sports.  Serena Williams is great and would definitely create shockwaves, but I don't think it would have nearly the emotional impact to the casual person as Kobe's has had.  

Same with Tiger Woods.  It would be a huge certainly, but there's just something about Kobe Bryant.  Maybe I'm wrong and I'm just coming from personal experience, but it has always felt like Bryant has had a far bigger role in 2000s culture than those two did.  

Yup. I compared my work ethic to Kobe Bryant in a job interview a week ago.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dome said:

See, the media leaking things before the family is informed really doesn’t bother me that much. Now I’m the one who sounds calloused, I know.

We had a good family friend of mine whose dad died (I knew him over 15 years, went to church with him, etc.) die in a motorcycle crash. Our local newspaper (Dayton Daily News) reported it, and his daughter found out (she was 30, not living at home), along with her family, via a friend asking her with a screenshot if that was her father.

These sources essentially circumvented/helped violate FERPA (is this correct @LETSGOBROWNIES?) with personal information, cause of death, etc. and broke the story before the family knew.

To me, I have a huge problem with it.

3 minutes ago, Dome said:

Reporting it before you’re sure of the facts is a huge problem for me though.

All of this really bothers me, especially the second part. Also, releasing the name(s) of the minor(s) involved is usually a big NO legally too.

I dont think theres anyone in football, baseball, or hockey that could come close to the impact of this loss. Really, the only player who could imo would be Lebron James. Just the global impact Kobe had, and his endeavors after retirement... losing one of his daughters too... just horrible.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

That Earnhart one was crazy. I was in Trinidad at a restaurant. And people broke down crying. I still remember this woman a table away, named Pam (for some reason I remember that). That broke down hysterical screaming and crying and her husband sitting there trembling.

That death hit everywhere theres a love for racing hard. And still lingers today.

This kobe thing.. Give it its 15 mins of fame and it will pass.

Yeah right. I dont even remember the dale death tbh and dale wasnt someone i ever followed or knew much about. I dont say this to make light of his death, but i think im in the majority, when i say that death didnt come close to the impact of Kobe's. Not even same universe. I dont even remember how Dale died or what year or anything. Racing fans has to be one of the smallest demographics in sports.

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

We had a good family friend of mine whose dad died (I knew him over 15 years, went to church with him, etc.) die in a motorcycle crash. Our local newspaper (Dayton Daily News) reported it, and his daughter found out (she was 30, not living at home), along with her family, via a friend asking her with a screenshot if that was her father.

These sources essentially circumvented/helped violate FERPA (is this correct @LETSGOBROWNIES?) with personal information, cause of death, etc. and broke the story before the family knew.

I’m assuming the newspaper editor didn’t sprint out to the crash site and dig through his wallet. 

What I’m getting at is in order for the news to report something too early, they were given the info too early.

I don’t take issue with the news reporting info as soon as they get it, that’s their job... I just want it to be accurate. 

If something isn’t ready for the media yet, don’t give it to them.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

No idea about that stuff, it was never relevant for me.

13 minutes ago, Dome said:

Imagine that was your wife and it’s reported and you find out by watching tv, scrolling Facebook, etc.  

We can agree to disagree, but that’s indecent as hell.

35 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

That Earnhart one was crazy. I was in Trinidad at a restaurant. And people broke down crying. I still remember this woman a table away, named Pam (for some reason I remember that). That broke down hysterical screaming and crying and her husband sitting there trembling.

Ok, so Earnhardt in Trinidad. I'm sure all 50,000 people there were torn up.

Meanwhile, Bejing (and several hundred million in China) mourn:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/china-erupts-mourning-kobe-bryants-death-1273567

Your concept on the scale of this is woefully wrong. I've read a lot of bad takes, and this is up there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dome said:

I’m assuming the newspaper editor didn’t sprint out to the crash site and dig through his wallet. 

What I’m getting at is in order for the news to report something too early, they were given the info too early.

I don’t take issue with the news reporting info as soon as they get it, that’s their job... I just want it to be accurate. 

If something isn’t ready for the media yet, don’t give it to them.

When the media is likely paying large bucks for people to give them confidential tips, they bear some responsibility.

I’d have to think the sheriff’s office didn’t willing release info for public consumption prior to notification of the family, that’s universally something they wait for.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I agree that she's a beast, but I highly doubt people would feel this kind of loss over it. Kobe was a freaking HERO to so many people. He is iconic. Serena Williams is just an awesome tennis player.

I'll concede it would be equal. But it would be pretty big - Serena is more than the sum of her sport, much like Kobe. She has an international following, and she's known for her contributions outside of tennis as much as she's known for her dominance in tennis.

21 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

Nah Madden, not even close. Nor the Williams sisters. Not Mike Tyson either. Tiger, yes. 

Again - I'll retcon and say that it wouldn't be equal.

18 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

When the media is likely paying large bucks for people to give them confidential tips, they bear some responsibility.

I’d have to think the sheriff’s office didn’t willing release info for public consumption prior to notification of the family, that’s universally something they wait for.

Some of the responsibility, sure. But not enough of the responsibility that I’m going to hold them more accountable than the people who are actually giving them the info. 

20 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Imagine that was your wife and it’s reported and you find out by watching tv, scrolling Facebook, etc.  

We can agree to disagree, but that’s indecent as hell.

Most celebrities have their dirty laundry picked through by the media on a daily basis. It’s one of the ugly sides of fame. This is the type of thing that comes with the lifestyle. People don’t always care about your feelings or your families feelings when you’re famous. Millions of people feel an attachment to someone like Kobe. That’s big news that’s going to impact millions of people. 

I can’t put myself in the shoes someone like that, seeing my wife’s death on television.

My wife isn’t a celebrity known to millions, my wife isn’t going to die in a helicopter crash in the Super Star capital of the world, my wife isn’t going to have hundreds of thousands of people mourning her death.

I understand what you’re saying for Joe Schmoe, but celebs live in their own world that way. 

It’s awful for people close to him to find out in whatever way they did. I don’t know if I’m the grand scheme of what they’re dealing with, they way they found out is going to be the worst part of it.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1