OT- RIP KOBE

Humble_Beast

31 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

I dont think theres anyone in football, baseball, or hockey that could come close to the impact of this loss. Really, the only player who could imo would be Lebron James. Just the global impact Kobe had, and his endeavors after retirement... losing one of his daughters too... just horrible.

The only 2 I can think of are Lebron and Tiger.

It will be dark days in Cleveland when Jim Brown and Lebron pass away.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dome said:

Some of the responsibility, sure. But not enough of the responsibility that I’m going to hold them more accountable than the people who are actually giving them the info. 

They are paying for what I would imagine is either illegally obtained or unofficial info. 

It’s a cop who makes 75k a year and knows there’s a standing 50k offer for info like this (or something like that).  They know, but it’s not actually been verified officially.

1 minute ago, Dome said:

Most celebrities have their dirty laundry picked through by the media on a daily basis. It’s one of the ugly sides of fame. This is the type of thing that comes with the lifestyle.

I can’t put myself in the shoes someone like that, seeing my wife’s death on television.

My wife isn’t a celebrity known to millions, my wife isn’t going to die in a helicopter crash in the Super Star capital of the world, my wife isn’t going to have hundreds of thousands of people mourning her death.

I understand what you’re saying for Joe Schmoe, but celebs live in their own world that way. 

It’s awful for people close to him to find out in whatever way they did. I don’t know if I’m the grand scheme of what they’re dealing with, they way they found out is going to be the worst part of it.

I get your point, and you’re not wrong about the gift and curse of celebrity, but there’s right and wrong and not verifying that the family has been notified is firmly on the wrong side imo.

Releasing details before next of kin has been notified should be a 7 figure fine by the FCC imo.

• Like 1

Just now, PARROTHEAD said:

No. Its just that its ramped up so hard with BBall fans because of social media and such. That it will burn out quicker.

With Earnhart. You had tv, then had to wait for the news that night or newspaper the next day in most places. It didnt burn like wildfire right off the bat, it kept ramping up and lingering cause of that and all the safety features addressed due to it.

A superstar basketball legend like Kobe today has/had far greater reach than a racing star. Kobes passing was a global story

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

The only 2 I can think of are Lebron and Tiger.

It will be dark days in Cleveland when Jim Brown and Lebron pass away.

Eh, Jim Brown is old enough not that most of us have never even seen him play.

I mean, he retired almost 20 years before I was born.

LeBron is another story.

Man when I heard the news from my brother I immediately felt gutted. First time a famous person death made me feel this way. 

I wasn’t the biggest Kobe fan but I respected his work ethic and drive for the game of Basketball. Also RIP to his daughter that wanted to continue his legacy so sad.

Edited by Blackstar12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Malik said:

It's amazing that as big as the NFL is here there isn't a single death by any NFL player that would would reverberate in US culture like this.

I agree, mostly because of what he embodied off the court just as much as what he did on the court.  I was never a Lakers fan, but his drive to be the best was only equaled by Jordan (you can argue it's the oter way around, but whatever).  The philanthropic things this man was doing are incredible.  The world lost a great person, not just a HOF basketball player.

The biggest loss was Kobe the father.  leaving behind his wife and other three kids., including the youngest who will never know her father.  It's equally (maybe less) tragic than the other three who were lost, as both the mother and father will never come home to their other two children.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

A superstar basketball legend like Kobe today has/had far greater reach than a racing star. Kobes passing was a global story

I'm flabbergasted on this one - because NASCAR is by and large a very domestic-only sport. I highly doubt the rest of the world even knows about NASCAR and their drivers. 

I'd give some precedent to maybe someone like Michael Schumacher or Lewis Hamilton, guys who were the best on the F1 circuit - there's international appeal to them.

But... NASCAR

I'd (successfully) argue that Ayrton Senna's death in 1994 had a bigger impact on the racing scene.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Eh, Jim Brown is old enough not that most of us have never even seen him play.

I mean, he retired almost 20 years before I was born.

LeBron is another story.

His impact on the black community and in Cleveland is still felt everyday.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Humble_Beast said:

except Kobe was always primetime, big games in LA a huge market.

This is a big portion of this. Had Kobe never been traded from Charlotte on draft night, I don't think this reverberates as much as it has. Sure, he's still probably the hardest working person in the building and he probably takes Charlotte to a few championships - it wouldn't impact his ability to win basketball games, Kobe could do that anywhere. 

The stage that is LA, however? It magnified the career. LA is right up there with NY as far as big stages go, and Kobe is a fixture in LA, much like how Jeter was in NY. 

• Like 1

Just now, ET80 said:

This is a big portion of this. Had Kobe never been traded from Charlotte on draft night, I don't think this reverberates as much as it has. Sure, he's still probably the hardest working person in the building and he probably takes Charlotte to a few championships - it wouldn't impact his ability to win basketball games, Kobe could do that anywhere. 

The stage that is LA, however? It magnified the career. LA is right up there with NY as far as big stages go, and Kobe is a fixture in LA, much like how Jeter was in NY. 

Exactly he was the king of LA for over 20 years...... bigger than the "A listers"... he actually was the king of all Southern California for over 2 decades...

'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Another thing I hope we take away from this as a society, is the media needs to get the facts before rushing into out in an effort to be first.

It was all 4 girls..... 5 people.... Rick Fox... BBC using footage of LeBron thinking it was Kobe... 🤦‍♂️ 

This kind of ish can’t happen just to be “first”.

The media blows to hard these days, to the right or left, tell me the event not its interpretation. 

1 minute ago, Kiwibrown said:

The media blows to hard these days, to the right or left, tell me the event not its interpretation. 

I mean, sure, but that’s what they were trying to do is just report facts.

The problem is they didn’t bother to wait until info was verified to report it (or in BBC’s case do a basic once over of the work to make sure it’s right).

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Another thing I hope we take away from this as a society, is the media needs to get the facts before rushing into out in an effort to be first.

It was all 4 girls..... 5 people.... Rick Fox... BBC using footage of LeBron thinking it was Kobe... 🤦‍♂️ 

This kind of ish can’t happen just to be “first”.

Amen to this brother. This whole culture in general is too inundated with instant gratification due to the psychological war waged by tech companies, news and social media companies to try to keep people plugged into them over the past 20 years. Most people don't even appear to be thinking about what they're doing or why anymore, they just act first and think later, if at all.  I said it in the NBA thread, Kobe's death felt like a hole was being ripped into the fabric of reality. It was nothing more than a senseless tragedy but I'm hoping people will change for the better from it.

• Like 7