General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

6 hours ago, N4L said:

I thought about it, but that's asking a lot in year one. It's a complex offense. We saw deebo struggle early on and he was super pro ready and has played WR for a few years. Hurd has played WR for one season. Let's keep him at WR in year 1 

Plus the guy has a bad back. Probably part of the reason he switched to WR. No need to have him potentially get hit by defensive lineman

But its not year 1, its year 2. Just because he was hurt doesn't mean he didn't go to meetings, do film study. Doesn't mean he wasn't present for gameplanning and install. He should be more prepared than a rookie Deebo, as he has a complete year to learn and absorb the offense. Maybe not the physical reps but just knowing the calls, concepts, etc... he's been here for all of that. 

And I'm not too concerned about the back injury. Players have bounced back from those and never looked back. It'd be different if he had a history with his back but that's not the case. If he's healthy, I fully expect Shanny to use him alot in the backfield and all over the place. That's why he was drafted. I never thought he was here, just to line up@WR strictly. 

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, N4L said:

I thought about it, but that's asking a lot in year one. It's a complex offense. We saw deebo struggle early on and he was super pro ready and has played WR for a few years. Hurd has played WR for one season. Let's keep him at WR in year 1 

Plus the guy has a bad back. Probably part of the reason he switched to WR. No need to have him potentially get hit by defensive lineman

If I remember correctly he switched to wr because of concussions. From what I remember he did still line up in the backfield at times at Baylor but idk how often.

2 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

I just want to see kittle, Deebo, McKinnon, Hurd and Ruggs all line up together. 

I want to see Trent Taylor healthy and in the slot. I think he could be deadly in this offense underneath. His short-area quickness was among the best in his draft class. Again, health being a huge caveat.

Also, you forgot to mention Juszczyk. He's a walking miss-match and Shanahan really knows how to get the most out of him. He adds another layer to this offense that isn't normal.

Edited by NinerNation21
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I agree with all but the bold. My real preference is Lamb, but I would be happy with Jeudy.

I'd be happy with either of those three plus Mims. But Ruggs would be what Goodwin was for us his first season here with more physicality. Would have a legitimate take the top of the defense threat that more than anything will force defenders to play off of him and will open up the intermediate routes that Jimmy loves. It's a great fit all things considered. 

• Like 1

Not going to lie...I don't get the unabashed Taylor love at all. Okay niche, role player right now, but not really a guy that I'm even looking at bringing back after this year when the contract is up unless I have to (which may be the case, but still) 

• Like 2

Just now, Forge said:

Not going to lie...I don't get the unabashed Taylor love at all. Okay niche, role player right now, but not really a guy that I'm even looking at bringing back after this year when the contract is up unless I have to. 

Speaking of Trent? I just think it's because of his connection with Jimmy. All local reporters said throughout camp he was Jimmy's go to guy on 3rd downs and some predicted he would lead team in receptions. Ironically, the two players who dominated 3rd down catches in back to back years both got hurt right before the season. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not going to lie...I don't get the unabashed Taylor love at all. Okay niche, role player right now, but not really a guy that I'm even looking at bringing back after this year when the contract is up unless I have to (which may be the case, but still) 

After 2 years of injury-wiped out seasons, I barely even think of him. He has to prove he can be healthy--note I didn't even use the word "stay". He hasn't been healthy for 2 years straight. If he has problems this year, excellent reasons for note re-signing him. It's a shame, but he has to prove he can be an impact player now.

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Speaking of Trent? I just think it's because of his connection with Jimmy. All local reporters said throughout camp he was Jimmy's go to guy on 3rd downs and some predicted he would lead team in receptions. Ironically, the two players who dominated 3rd down catches in back to back years both got hurt right before the season. 

It's just kind of weird because it's based off such a small sample. You're talking that very small window in 2017 and then 3 games in 2018, one of which he got blanked. 

He plays less than 50% of the snaps most games he's played (which is about right because he's a role player), and his average depth of target was 5 yards in 2017 and 3 yards in 2018, I believe, so I'm trying to figure out the pure upside that everyone appears to see here as a deadly player. Plus, I feel like people forget that he has some drop issues (along with a small catch radius as it is). 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's just kind of weird because it's based off such a small sample. You're talking that very small window in 2017 and then 3 games in 2018, one of which he got blanked. 

He plays less than 50% of the snaps most games he's played (which is about right because he's a role player), and his average depth of target was 5 yards in 2017 and 3 yards in 2018, I believe, so I'm trying to figure out the pure upside that everyone appears to see here as a deadly player. Plus, I feel like people forget that he has some drop issues (along with a small catch radius as it is). 

Also was hurt in 2018, no?

But again, the reason he's getting any sort of love is because Jimmy clearly favors him on 3rd downs. You are just mentioned the limited games sample, but in camp he was his favorite target. Now, Bourne showed up nicely on 3rd downs this season so maybe Taylor doesn't even make the team. Who knows, but he's fearless down the middle of the field and can make catches in traffic. Jimmy is an guy who likes to get it out quick and let the receiver make a play after the catch so it works with Taylor. To me he's not a game changer or anything, but at least someone Jimmy can rely on.