General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

We have been getting him more inside the last two years and I believe he spent over half his snaps there last year. He hasn't proven to be a very good pass rusher at all from any position, and he's not big enough to hold up against the run on the inside. Right now he's a run stuffing 5 tech with no pass rushing prowess at his best spot. Playing inside hasn't been a great help to him thus far, though obviously with Buckner, he didn't have all the snaps. 

Still was used more outside than inside overall. Believe the split was like 233 interior snaps opposed to 246 snaps from the edge. That number should change drastically next season. 

• Like 1

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Still was used more outside than inside overall. Believe the split was like 233 interior snaps opposed to 246 snaps from the edge. That number should change drastically next season. 

Barrows mentioned it in one of his articles, but I couldn't remember the exact number. I knew is was somewhere close to 50/50, but I thought those two numbers were reversed and he got slightly more on the inside. 

Still, I don't expect any level of competence from him on the interior or edge. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Honestly pure snap numers really don't tell the story for a guy in Thomas his mold. He simply is a good run stopper at the edge and an lesser inside rusher and run stopper than both Armstead and Buckner. So yeah he got more snaps on the outside but i would bet most of those are on rushing downs while the interior snaps where mostly passing downs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Barrows mentioned it in one of his articles, but I couldn't remember the exact number. I knew is was somewhere close to 50/50, but I thought those two numbers were reversed and he got slightly more on the inside. 

Still, I don't expect any level of competence from him on the interior or edge. 

And then the split in 2018 was nowhere near close to 50/50. Was like 505 on the outside to 138 to the inside.

7 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Honestly pure snap numers really don't tell the story for a guy in Thomas his mold. He simply is a good run stopper at the edge and an lesser inside rusher and run stopper than both Armstead and Buckner. So yeah he got more snaps on the outside but i would bet most of those are on rushing downs while the interior snaps where mostly passing downs.

Yeah, I'd guess a decent amount of his snaps on nickel downs were from the inside. But will be even more in 2020. LIS, up until the first Seattle game, he had a really good win rate and was bringing pressure every game on limited snaps. After that though? More of what he did in his first two years as a pro. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Sure he is a tweener but you look at his production on Stanford, most was from the DT spot.  He is not a DE and is not a 3/4 OLB which is where they played him usually is it not?  How often has he played as a DT?  In pass rush situations with Bosa/Ford on the end and Thomas/Armstead in the middle that could be hard to handle.  Thomas was dominating at times in college and honestly I think he has just played out of position so far in the NFL, will be curious if Buckner out opens anything up for him but then again they could draft Kinlaw potentially.

This isnt Stanford though. He's not stout enough as a interior player to take over for DeFo full-time and still play AA in his previous role. He frankly just isn't that special of a talent. And this coming from a guy who wanted Lynch to draft Thomas. 

But film doesn't lie. Go check out GamePass while they still have their free trail and watch the coaches film of him and Day in the playoffs get pushed around and repeatedly run right at with much success. He just can't physical do what guys like AA, Jones, and DeFo do inside. Not if they keep him@280.

Now they can try to groom him for AA's role where he lined up@LE in base. But they tried that last year too and he was 'meh'...couldn't contain the edge as well as AA against the run and he couldn't get upfield and crash the edge they way AA could as a pass-rusher. 

He's a rotational player right now. You throw him next to AA inside in the nickel and hope he comes alive. That's really the only role I see from him. Its crazy because as athletic and strong as he is, he should affect the pocket way more but he just gets neutralized far too often, with just a single O-Lineman. 

Edited by 757-NINER

15 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Really just interested in that entire situation to be over. 

It's crazy to think about, but if he continues to bomb this year, I think you can easily make the case that he's the worst draft pick in 49er history given his selection at #3 OA. 

58 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't care to move AA inside permanently, tbh. It took 4 years to unlock him and get him going, I'm not looking to potentially neuter him by moving him into a full time 3 tech role and hoping for the best. Honestly, I'd just prefer drafting Blacklock at 31 lol. 

I don't think they will either...but Buck role will need to be filled and we don't have a legit option on our roster right now. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Forge said:

Really just interested in that entire situation to be over. 

It's crazy to think about, but if he continues to bomb this year, I think you can easily make the case that he's the worst draft pick in 49er history given his selection at #3 OA. 

Oh yeah i am done with him and want him off the roster after this year(simply because cutting him makes very little sense now). Only redeeming factor in that pick is that we fleeced the Bears in that trade.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

This isnt Stanford though. He's not stout enough as a interior player to take over for DeFo full-time and still play AA in his previous role. He frankly just isn't that special of a talent. And this coming from a guy who wanted Lynch to draft Thomas. 

But film doesn't lie. Go check out GamePass while they still have their free trail and watch the coaches film of him and Day in the playoffs get pushed around and repeatedly run right at with much success. He just can't physical do what guys like AA, Jones, and DeFo do inside. Not if they keep him@280.

Now they can try to groom him for AA's role where he lined up@LE in base. But they tried that last year too and he was 'meh'...couldn't contain the edge as well as AA against the run and he couldn't get upfield and crash the edge they way AA could as a pass-rusher. 

He's a rotational player right now. You throw him next to AA inside in the nickel and hope he comes alive. That's really the only role I see from him. Its crazy because as athletic and strong as he is, he should affect the pocket way more but he just gets neutralized far too often, regularly. 

At the combine when he came out he was the top performer for his position in the broad jump, three cone and 20 yard shuttle.  Did 30 reps at 225 and ran a 4.69 40.  So physically he has ability but yes possibly I overrated him coming out of Stanford based on how well he played in the big games they had.  But overall the stats were honestly not that great, was amazing against UNC in the bowl game and that is what most remember.  He clearly is dealing with a lot off the field with the death of his sister and the years after her suicide have been rough I assume.  Maybe that entire experience he is still working through, hard to say, but physically he has tools but maybe he is too much of a tweener like it has been said.  Will speak a lot to what they think of him if they draft a DT in round 1.  Could get Kinlaw maybe higher up or a stud like Gallimore later on even though late 1st round I think safety is where they should go and I am sure they would love in Winfield Jr was around.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sherm said:

I don't think they will either...but Buck role will need to be filled and we don't have a legit option on our roster right now. 

Yea this is why I was seriously dumbfounded that we didn't make more of a effort in free agency to add legit depth@DT. Know we're up against it cap wise but we could have maneuvered around that with no problem if we had chose to.

Hmmm, looks like I may be the only one who holds out any hope for Solly to shine at all. I’ve seen moves and performance that show promise, so now is his chance to step up.

Jonny Del football had a really good case for him in that ‘18 win over the Seahawks. He did a series of 5 videos for the 5 reasons we won that game and Solly was one of those!

5 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Hmmm, looks like I may be the only one who holds out any hope for Solly to shine at all. I’ve seen moves and performance that show promise, so now is his chance to step up.

Jonny Del football had a really good case for him in that ‘18 win over the Seahawks. He did a series of 5 videos for the 5 reasons we won that game and Solly was one of those!

Don't think he's washed up for certain. Just not a fan of putting all our DL hopes in him putting it all together this yr. Yeah they gave AA this past season to figure it out and it payed off...but we didn't ride our DL hopes on him. We brought in Bosa and Ford. Now we lose Buck(understand why they did it) and we don't bring in fire power to help out. That's gonna be a major fail come reg season time. Now if they want to add a draft pick to compete with Solly and make him earn that spot I'm good with that.

I think Thomas is a guy that has a place in the NFL. Just don't think it is with us and especially not at the cost of his current contract. I just don't think he will ever be more than a rotational piece that can defend the run on the outside and have some pass rush on the inside. As a 3rd/4th DT he is plenty good enough but as a #3 pick he is a major disapointment.