General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

4 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

I like the moves this team has made this offseason, and it seems like we're set not only at starter, but depth too, for a lot of the roster (with RG being the biggest question mark). 

That being said..i'd still like to pick up another pass rusher. I know we have Ford, Bosa, Armstead, Blair...maybe will get solid contributions from others on the line too this year (Kinlaw). But its always good to have depth there, as we saw when Ford went down. 

What about Everson Griffen on a 1 year deal?

Damontre Moore would be nice to have back. He’d be cheap, wouldn’t require a ton of playing time, and already knows the defense. I really don’t know why he hasn’t been resigned.

• Like 1

I saw that we gave DL Darrion Daniels $105K guaranteed. I know thats not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but it does show we liked him enough. 

Assuming Daniels flashes & Solly doesn't improve...and we have a DL room of Bosa, Jones, Kinlaw, Armstead, Ford, Blair, Taylor, Givens, & Daniels...do you think we'd keep Solly, or try to trade him/cut him before the season? 

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

I saw that we gave DL Darrion Daniels $105K guaranteed. I know thats not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but it does show we liked him enough. 

Assuming Daniels flashes & Solly doesn't improve...and we have a DL room of Bosa, Jones, Kinlaw, Armstead, Ford, Blair, Taylor, Givens, & Daniels...do you think we'd keep Solly, or try to trade him/cut him before the season? 

I cannot see anyway of us cutting Solly, we could definitely get something for him

All this talk about cutting Solly, remember, we also lost Day. Guys like Givens are no locks to make jumps or make the team. Daniels? Honestly, we gave a pretty big signing bonus to McFadden and he didn't cut it here. Let's see him on the field first. Taylor is coming off the ACL and no lock he is ready to start the season.

There is no reason to get rid of Solly. Let him be part of the rotation and hope he can contribute. Then he can walk at season's end. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

There is no reason to get rid of Solly. Let him be part of the rotation and hope he can contribute. Then he can walk at season's end. 

Definitely this. Why so many people are eager to show him the door is baffling. We aren't going to get anything for him and we would be on the hook for at least a portion if not all of his salary. Just embrace him for this year and see what happens! He is a 49er for at least 1 more season. It is possible he has a breakout (not very probable, but possible!). How many of us were sure Armstead was worth signing to an average of $17 mil/year before this year?

Image result for Shaking Head Emoji

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

We aren't going to get anything for him and we would be on the hook for at least a portion if not all of his salary. Just embrace him for this year and see what happens!

Agree. No point in eating over 4.6 million in dead cap just to dump him for a late rd pick. He's likely still better than the young and unprovens... and we are on the SB hunt. Good rotational depth matters.. even if that's all he turns out to be.  winking-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

As others have said, there's no financial reason to cut him. We don't save any money. If the other younsters such as Daniels or Givens ball out in TC / preseason and simply play their way on to the roster, sure, you potentially could trade him. That would save us some money. But the young guys have to outplay him first. Until that happens, there's really no reason to do anything with Thomas. 

A little off topic, NN21 made me think of the best hype video I've ever seen... This is it for me, its a UGA video but the speaker in it... Wow, of course they lost that game lol, but thats beside the point. Another little off topic point... With the production values of these videos on youtube there is zero excuse for a movie or tv show not to have decent ones.

So I finally re-watched the SB as I tried to avoid it as long as I could....And man, we just needed to make ONE play on offense and defense in the last seven minutes and we could have won. Like I can't believe how terrible the offense and defense played to close the game out. Kind of surreal to see so many missed opportunities. If Chris Jones doesn't get his hand on the ball that was targeted to Kittle, then there is a chance Kittle breaks that one all the way to the Chiefs territory and the game completely changes. Against the Ravens we were playing catch up all game, but all we had to do against the Chiefs was hold serve and we win the game. Smh! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So I finally re-watched the SB as I tried to avoid it as long as I could....And man, we just needed to make ONE play on offense and defense in the last seven minutes and we could have won. Like I can't believe how terrible the offense and defense played to close the game out. Kind of surreal to see so many missed opportunities. If Chris Jones doesn't get his hand on the ball that was targeted to Kittle, then there is a chance Kittle breaks that one all the way to the Chiefs territory and the game completely changes. Against the Ravens we were playing catch up all game, but all we had to do against the Chiefs was hold serve and we win the game. Smh! 

Yup to all of this. We played 56 winning minutes and lost the game in 3 minutes.

This is why I ignored all of the crap this offseason about how the 49ers needed a true #1 WR, they needed a better QB, they needed a bellcow RB. No. They needed to execute a handful of plays. This is a SB-winning roster, which is why I commend Lynch for not giving into the pressure of acquiring shiny toys and stuck to his guns of bringing the team back as much as he could to run it back again. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Yup to all of this. We played 56 winning minutes and lost the game in 3 minutes.

This is why I ignored all of the crap this offseason about how the 49ers needed a true #1 WR, they needed a better QB, they needed a bellcow RB. No. They needed to execute a handful of plays. This is a SB-winning roster, which is why I commend Lynch for not giving into the pressure of acquiring shiny toys and stuck to his guns of bringing the team back as much as he could to run it back again. 

I'm not sure I agree with that. Just because they were a handful of plays from winning the super bowl in the past doesn't mean that is the way it is moving forward even with the same roster. The team naturally sheds pieces, players regress (and progress) and the goal should always be to get better, not resting on your laurels. I don't think the strategy of assuming that everything will be the same year to year  even with the same roster is viable either. That very easily could have been the best opportunity this team will have to win the super bowl during this cycle. They are hard to win. Teams get better and get worse in a hurry. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm not sure I agree with that. Just because they were a handful of plays from winning the super bowl in the past doesn't mean that is the way it is moving forward even with the same roster. The team naturally sheds pieces, players regress (and progress) and the goal should always be to get better, not resting on your laurels. I don't think the strategy of assuming that everything will be the same year to year  even with the same roster is viable either. That very easily could have been the best opportunity this team will have to win the super bowl during this cycle. They are hard to win. Teams get better and get worse in a hurry. 

My point was, I didn't agree with the snap reactions of pundits saying that the 49ers need to add a ton of pieces and replace their QB because they lost the SB. We have a really deep roster and bringing back some of those keep pieces was a smart idea.