General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

9 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I don't buy this theory but interesting take

I always thought the pursuit of Hooper was strange. I understand he's no Kittle but paying a him top free agent money would be nearly the same. Kittle will command more but still, if you're paying a very good TE 10 mil a year, might as well paid the best 14-15 mil a year.

Just a random yearly avg I used there btw...

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I always thought the pursuit of Hooper was strange. I understand he's no Kittle but paying a him top free agent money would be nearly the same. Kittle will command more but still, if you're paying a very good TE 10 mil a year, might as well paid the best 14-15 mil a year.

Just a random yearly avg I used there btw...

My guess is we went looking to see if we could grab him on a cheap one year deal. And we where told no quickly. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

My guess is we went looking to see if we could grab him on a cheap one year deal. And we where told no quickly. 

Still a questionable strategy though. In a offense-driven league, you trade away one of the best offensive players in the entire league and easily the top talent@his position, just to pay two DTs top tier money? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 3

Just now, 757-NINER said:

Still a questionable strategy though. In a offense-driven league, you trade away one of the best offensive players in the entire league and easilt the top talent@just to pay two DTs top defensive player money? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Oh forsure but I'm saying they probably went after Hooper to play two TEs on offense.

3 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

There's a thread in NFL Gen for grading 2017 classes. That got me thinking...what grade would you give the 49ers last 3 draft classes (2017-2019)

I've actually been thinking about this lately. This is how I would grade them:

2017: A

I'd give this draft an A+ if we didn't whiff with our 1sts. This was a foundation-building draft with hits all over and few misses. 

Hits

Kittle in the 5th - A+++++++. HOF type value here

T. Taylor in the 5th - Career started off strong and looked like a reliable, Wes Welker type slot guy. Unforseen injuries slowed his progression down. Still great pick in the 5th.

DJ Jones in the 6th - Amazing value and has gotten better each year. 

Brieda UDFA - Homerun pickup

Mullens UDFA - Homerun pickup

Bourne UDFA - Great steal here in a depth guy that has the best hands on the team and gets better every year

Whiffs

Thomas in the 1st - Overhyped and miss-evaluated. 2nd round talent through and through. 

Foster in the 1st - No problems with this pick at all. You gamble on this type of transcendent talent at his position. Him being a headcase derailed this.

Beathard in the 3rd - Bad trade and bad pick.

J. Williams in the 4th - See Beathard

Jury's Still Out

Witherspoon in the 3rd - Very up and down. Promising rookie season, down second year, shut-down corner type start to this year but ended flat. 2020 is his make-or-break year.

2018: B

From draft to UDFA's, it was a good draft. There's a few in this class with concerns, but it's too soon to call them busts.

Hits

McGlinchey in the 1st - Solid and steady is McGlinchey. Not a flashy pick, but a pro from day 1 and an anchor on the line. 

Warner in the 3rd - Super star in the making. Homerun pick.

J. Taylor in the 7th - Depth piece who looked primed for a mini breakout this year before the injury bug got him. I'm really high on Taylor.

Moseley UDFA - Homerun pickup. In draft re-do's a year or 2 from now, he'd be a middle round pick.

Wilson UDFA - Solid signing and valuable depth piece.

Dwelley UDFA - See Wilson.

Whiffs

No outright whiffs. Too early to tell

Jury's Still Out

Pettis in the 2nd - Great 2nd half of 2018, terrible 2019. It's do or die time for Pettis this year. 

Moore in the 3rd - He's had flashes and mental lapses, but the players and coaches love him. I don't have enough playing time to call him a hit or a whiff.

Street in the 4th - Too many injuries so far to see if he can play or not. I'm leaning toward whiff, though.

Reed in the 5th - I liked him a lot when we picked him, but he's backing up a top 5 nickle corner who doesn't come off the field. 

James in the 7th - Not bad, not great. Easily replaceable if needed. Hard to say we whiffed on a late 7th rounder, but I'm not sure we hit on him either.

2019: A

I want to give this class an A+, but I still can't get past the punter in the 4th. 

Hits

Bosa in the 1st - A+++ all-pro type pick

Deebo in the 2nd - Great value and amazing pick

Wishnowsky in the 4th - Yes, I said I hated the punter in the 4th. It's bad value, but he performed very well in his rookie year and should be an above-average punter for years to come.

Greenlaw in the 5th - Late-round gem

Smith in the 6th - Didn't make it with us (for whatever reason, I blame it on Beathard's roster spot), but performed pretty well for the Giants. 

Skule in the 6th - Wasn't great, but he was good enough and that's pretty good for not supposed to be on the field in year 1.

Givens UDFA - Arrow pointing up for this kid. He's looking like a solid depth piece.

Al-Shaair UDFA - See Givens.

Whiffs

Too early to tell

Jury's Still Out

Hurd in the 3rd - Injuries, man. But, people in the organization sound hyped about this kid.

Harris in the 6th - The common thread - injuries.

TL;DR

This FO has found talent all over the place and is maximizing it with great coaching and scheme. This is how you build lasting, championship teams.

2017: A - foundational draft with hits all over and a few whiffs

2018: B - Could go higher if Pettis turns it on this year.

2019: A - Could very easily be an A+ and could be the best draft in the past 10-15 years.  

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I'll let you decide, dan....do we want to keep going with this, or just call it a night? Because I still have a lot of questions and comments to pose after this  lol

Up to you Forge. I don't have a problem with having conversations with anyone here including you so it's entirely up to you. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Personally I think Kittle is untouchable. I don’t see any way we trade him. Maybe towards the end of his career, but definitely can’t see it in his prime. He’s the the piece that makes this offense what it is. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

The FO would have lost all credibility if they traded Kittle. With our DL depth they could justify Buck trade along with the re-signing of AA. Trading Kittle out for Hooper would be a Kyle move of the highest degree. No way that makes any sense at all. To be honest as much as I love Kittle he's not bringing a pick just outside the top 10. Best case scenario is a pick in the 20's? Also if the decision was between Buck and Kittle...why did we lose AA too? 

Fake trade we lost Kittle and AA.

Real trade we lost Buck only.

2 hours ago, sherm said:

Also if the decision was between Buck and Kittle...why did we lose AA too? 

Fake trade we lost Kittle and AA.

Real trade we lost Buck only.

I don't buy this theory at all, but I think the answer to your question is that Buckner would cost $5-7M more per year than Kittle will due to the positional difference (even with a record breaking TE contract), and that extra $5-7M would mean we could no longer afford Armstead even  with his ~$6M cap hit in 2020.

Remember, we have some cap space now, but Kittle's 2020 cap hit might still shoot up tremendously. 

16 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

if you're paying a very good TE 10 mil a year, might as well paid the best 14-15 mil a year.

16 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Still a questionable strategy though. In a offense-driven league, you trade away one of the best offensive players in the entire league and easily the top talent@his position, just to pay two DTs top tier money? Doesn't make much sense to me.

14 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Personally I think Kittle is untouchable. I don’t see any way we trade him. Maybe towards the end of his career, but definitely can’t see it in his prime. He’s the the piece that makes this offense what it is. 

7 hours ago, sherm said:

The FO would have lost all credibility if they traded Kittle. With our DL depth they could justify Buck trade along with the re-signing of AA. Trading Kittle out for Hooper would be a Kyle move of th

All of this. You get a KItlle, and the KIttle stays long time. 

So 

stop-this-madness-ufu216.jpg

• Like 1