Top 10 QBs of 2010s

Archimedes

On 2/19/2020 at 12:06 PM, CP3MVP said:

If you’re looking at the numbers and team success there is no real argument for luck being on some other level than Cam Newton.

Difference is the Colts had smoking pile of trash around Luck. Outside of the 2018 Colts, there wasn't much there in Indianapolis.

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, vikes635 said:

Because he only started 5 years? Because in those 5 years I feel his stats hold up to any that are not on this list.

Numbers aside, he’s basically Alex Smith with only a half a decade worth of starts instead of a nearly full decade. He certainly wasn’t a better player than Rivers either. Of course, you already knew that, which is why you put Luck and Stafford on the list ahead of Cousins in spite of him having better numbers than those guys.

And if you WERE going to put a stats only guy up there without very many starts, Romo is a WAY better option.

On 3/14/2020 at 3:57 PM, Archimedes said:

Numbers aside, he’s basically Alex Smith with only a half a decade worth of starts instead of a nearly full decade. He certainly wasn’t a better player than Rivers either. Of course, you already knew that, which is why you put Luck and Stafford on the list ahead of Cousins in spite of him having better numbers than those guys.

And if you WERE going to put a stats only guy up there without very many starts, Romo is a WAY better option.

I clearly wasn't going off stats alone but simply asking if the lack of starts was the reason you felt he didn't belong up there? I feel you are taking Rivers/Romo total career and trying to apply it to the ten years we are supposed to limit this too. I feel Cousins has played better in his 5 years of starting than Romo played past 2010 and I agree Rivers and others could make a strong argument to bump that 10 spot along with spot 8&9 but you originally stated that Cousins had ZERO business on this list like he wasn't even close to top ten consideration. Other than Lack of starts for the decade do you believe that is true?

On 3/15/2020 at 4:23 AM, LieutenantGains said:

I didn't even notice Cousins. I was too shocked at Brees at 1 o.O

Really? He led the league in passing yards 5 out of the last 9 years, passing TD's 2 of em (tied for most with Brady) Kept a NO offense reliant and feared for the entire decade. What exactly is so shocking about him being number 1?

1. Tom Brady 
2. Drew Brees
3. Aaron Rodgers
4. Matt Ryan
5. Philip Rivers
6. Russell Wilson
7. Matthew Stafford
8. Ben Roethlisberger
9. Eli Manning
10 Cam Newton

The top 5 played the entire decade, they also each have 38k yards in the time frame. The top 3 each have over 300 passing TDs in the decade, Rivers has that as well and Ryan is next closest with 283 (however Ryan made a SB and won an MVP, so he slides in ahead of Rivers). Brady ranks over Brees for 3 SB wins in 5 appearances, whereas Brees' SB was in 09 just missing out, eventhough he dominated statistically. Matthew Stafford unfortunately missed a year and a half, but he has that 38k yards and is 6th in TDs -- yet lacks team success (although Lions to playoffs isn't bad). Eli and Ben each missed this past year essentially, but Eli has 38k yards and a SB win and Ben is just short with 37k each has roughly 240 TDs and a SB loss, peak Ben was far better in the timeframe though (241 Eli, 236 Ben). Russell Wilson is discounted for being the youngest and entering the league in 2012 so two missed years, otherwise he'd be in the Rodgers range. Cam makes it on his running ability, MVP and SB run, but mostly makes it for being fairly good over 8 of the 10 qualifying years with 2010 and 2013 draftees offering no competition only Luck and Dalton were really competitive (less so Dalton). (whereas like Peyton had neck surgery then retired mid decade and a similar run for Romo, and super player Mahomes just played 20% of the decade).

Probably some will say this is garbage, but I am valuing this as a decade top ten. Not playing a significant portion of the time frame is weighted heavily, otherwise Manning for 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014 (Manning is close even with missing most of the decade of surpassing Cam though) seasons and  Mahomes with his 2018 and 2019 seasons should be on many of your lists very high. They dont make the list for played like 20-50% of the decade, ditto Romo.

Edited by Trojan

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2020 at 2:27 PM, Tk3 said:

Real talk

Pat Mahomes belongs on this list - and I don't even care if he only played 2 of the 10 years

Don't @ me

This. I'm shocked he isn't part of the conversation, people are putting a disproportionate amount of emphasis on longevity for some reason. We're talking about a guy who put up such a monumental first season as a starter that winning the SB the year after felt like a victory lap. The only argument I could see for keeping him off a top 10 list for the decade is that his best years might still be ahead of him.

3 hours ago, LeonKennedy said:

This. I'm shocked he isn't part of the conversation, people are putting a disproportionate amount of emphasis on longevity for some reason. We're talking about a guy who put up such a monumental first season as a starter that winning the SB the year after felt like a victory lap. The only argument I could see for keeping him off a top 10 list for the decade is that his best years might still be ahead of him.

Would you put a QB who only played in 3 out of 16 games as a top 10 QB that season?

Edited by Yin-Yang

• 2 weeks later...