Joe Burrow may force his way out of the Cincinnati Bengals

DigInBoys

13 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

I'm not saying Burrow is or isn't actually interested in forcing his way out.

When you start a thread called "Joe Burrow may force his way out of the Cincinnati Bengals" you leave very little to my imagination on your opinion on the subject.

13 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

I'm saying based on the reporting, precedent, and what we know about the Bengals organization it's silly to outright dismiss it as a possibility.

The only one of those I'll give headway to is the Bengals organization - they have a reputation of being pretty bad both with on the field and off the field things (former Bengals CB Jonathan Joseph once said the Bengals charge for Gatorade. They have vending machines posted around the locker room. Seriously, about 99.99999% of sports teams in ANY sport will give you free Gatorade, but the Bengals charge). 

So, that's ultimately not a stretch for me. I get that.

What I DON'T get is how this is a story based on two comments from guys who may or may not even know Joe Burrow. A month ago, Jim Burrow (someone who knows Joe very well) flat out said Joe would love to play for the Bengals - who should I believe in this? 

I don't dismiss it, but I see it for what it is: the Media looking for clicks (because clicks = money nowadays) so they're manufacturing an angle that will generate discussion.

Jim Burrow: Joe would love to play for Cincinnati = No Clicks.

Former #1 Pick has warning for Joe Burrow! = Clicks.

Carson Palmer delivers warning to Joe Burrow! = Clicks.

Joe Burrow says he has leverage in draft! = Clicks.

Sure, Burrow could force a situation. He could just as likely sign his deal with no instance, and then sign a long term extension prior to his 5th year.

It's unknown on both sides. And I'm perfectly fine with that.

The 15 year old kids are the people who think they can tell Joe Burrow how to live his life.

The Bengals are a clown show and their owner is a fraud to the last name of Brown.

He can stay there or he can force a trade. The CBA allows him to go back into the draft again next year if Cincy is that stupid.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Probably been watching longer than you've been alive...

The only example we have of a #1 pick going into specifics of what team he does or doesn't want to play for is Eli and San Diego, and all you had to do was watch that painfully awkward situation play out to realize NOBODY wanted to be there at that moment. 

If this isn't awkward to you, then you don't understand what awkward is. 

I still love how Eli would hold up the jersey, but absolutely refused to wear the hat.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

He can stay there or he can force a trade. The CBA allows him to go back into the draft again next year if Cincy is that stupid.

To do what for a year though? The man is a Walking Lottery Ticket. Do You really take the chance of sitting a year, 🙏🙏🙏 a fluke injury doesn't occur ONLY to hope by next years draft you're still viewed as a Top 3 pick?

I get it live in

Miami

LA

Cincy but he doesn't really have much leverage IMO. 

He probably doesn't wanna be a Bengal, even though he is from Ohio. Where there's smoke, there's fire. And there's been way more reports than just Carson Palmer.

However, he probably will not make a big deal about it and play for the Bengals. Why? Because Mike Brown will draft him and not trade him and he knows it. Next years draft? Brown will draft him again! Mike Brown doesn't f*** around....

8 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

BTW, both Eli and Elway were 100% proven justified by the passage of history.

They both won Super Bowls with the teams they went to via trade.

Both teams they left moved cities during their careers.

In the case of NYG vs San Diego, I'd state that this is an oversimplification - NYG won the SB twice, but was largely irrelevant outside of those two seasons. Conversely, SD hasn't won a SB but has been a consistent presence in the AFC, pretty much up until this past season. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

The CBA allows him to go back into the draft again next year if Cincy is that stupid.

Joe Burrow is possibly the #3 QB next season, there aren't many people who would take Burrow over Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields. 

This move would cost him a fortune.

Burrow gets insurance and gets a job on a college football show. He could also get a ton of money working as a front man at a Louisiana car dealership or something like that.

He can also sign a bunch of endorsements. (the difference nationally between Bengals and TBD is not much)

He could probably also sign a separate deal with EA for Madden or get royalties as part of the NFLPA even without being on a team.

He can play QB until he is 40 now.

Cincy does not have much leverage.

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Joe Burrow is possibly the #3 QB next season, there aren't many people who would take Burrow over Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields. 

This move would cost him a fortune.

#1 to #3 was 2.6 million difference last year. I'd pay that in a heartbeat to not play for the Bungles.

BTW, you are a Texans fan. If Watson won the Super Bowl in 2021 and 2025 I don't think you would be using the term largely irrelevant to describe his career.

13 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Burrow gets insurance and gets a job on a college football show. He could also get a ton of money working as a front man at a Louisiana car dealership or something like that.

He can also sign a bunch of endorsements. (the difference nationally between Bengals and TBD is not much)

He could probably also sign a separate deal with EA for Madden or get royalties as part of the NFLPA even without being on a team.

He can play QB until he is 40 now.

Cincy does not have much leverage.

This STILL comes short to the $23mm that Kyler Murray got guarenteed. It's might come up to about 10% of that at absolute most. And you can bet the NFLPA isn't taking on a non-member in the middle of CBA negotiations...

10 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

#1 to #3 was 2.6 million difference last year. I'd pay that in a heartbeat to not play for the Bungles.

I'm not saying #1 pick to #3 pick, unless you're thinking QBs go 1-2-3 (which hasn't happened since your boy McNabb, right?)

Last year, the #3 QB off the board was Haskins, at 15. I'd surmise the salary drop from 1.1 to 1.15 is more than $2.3mm.

10 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

BTW, you are a Texans fan. If Watson won the Super Bowl in 2021 and 2025 I don't think you would be using the term largely irrelevant to describe his career.

It wouldn't mean that I wouldn't think the Titans weren't the more consistent franchise for averaging 11 wins from 2021 to 2025. Sure, the Texans had the higher peaks, but they also had the lower valleys.

1 hour ago, DigInBoys said:

I'm saying based on the reporting,

The reporting of former athletes giving him advice? Burrow has never said anything that implies he was going to go that route.

precedent and what we know about the Bengals organization

Like a John Ross? Jonah Williams? Billy Price? William Jackson? Tyler Eifert? A.J. Green? Kirkpatrick? Hall? Dennard? Where are all of these soon-to-be-Bengals causing a stink over being a Bengal? 

I know the Bengals are a cheap organization and may not be the best franchise, but there’s certainly no precedent for Eli-ing here. If anything, the precedent is that Bengals first rounders sign a second contract in Cincinnati. 

it's silly to outright dismiss it as a possibility.

It’s silly to try to read between the lines on a couple quotes, some that Burrow didn’t even make himself. This is a talking point because there’s not much to talk about, that’s all. 

• Like 2