Joe Burrow may force his way out of the Cincinnati Bengals

DigInBoys

6 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Or John Elway not wanting to play for the Baltimore Colts then threatening to sit and place baseball until eventually he used his leverage to force a trade to the Broncos.

How long have you been watching exactly?

I was four when that happened. I was watching, just not really paying attention.

5 hours ago, N4L said:

I get it's a privilege to be drafted and play in the NFL, but I don't blame someone for not being forced to do the thing the love in a place they don't want to be, especially if your employer is the Cincinnati BUNGLES 

The "its a privilege to be drafted" thing is a half-truth. It's technically true in that you don't have some constitutional right to be employed. But it's equally true that the Bengals have the privilege of having the opportunity to take Joe Burrow. 

Every single team would take him #1 overall, even the ones that have a franchise QB. That gives Burrow leverage, and he's smart to use it whether his goal is to make sure that the guarantees in his contract are absolutely ironclad (read: no Leonard Forunette BS in there) or actually manufacture a trade.

You guys should be ashamed for taking the bait and fueling the fire that is terrible, click-bait, desperate “reporting”. It’s literally the most desolate time of the year for NFL news. They’re forced to pull stories out of mid air for views/listeners. Don’t fall victim to this nonsense.

Let’s have a look at most of the media isn’t pumping. First, Joe himself:

“It’s an interesting [thought], going back home to Ohio,” Burrow told KTCK-AM (h/t ESPN’s Ben Baby). “It would be a lot of fun. It would.”

Doesn’t seem to hate the idea of playing in Ohio. Nothing here that’s leads to the idea that he doesn’t want to play here or is refusing to play here. Let’s see what his dad has to say:

“We've talked about [potentially being drafted by Cincinnati]. I can be in my seat in three and a half hours [driving from Athens, Ohio]. That’s certainly a positive.

“If you’re the top pick, or one of the top picks, you’re always going … that’s the way the NFL draft is set up. You’re not going to a team that has a great record. So he’s excited to even be in that conversation, and if the Bengals do draft him he’s going to be happy.”

Huh, that’s weird. Nothing here. What about his mom?

Burrow’s mother, Robin, specifically, shot down the idea their son doesn’t want to play for the Bengals.

“We have no idea where that comes from,” Robin said, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram’s Drew Davison. “It’s a story out there that someone has created that doesn’t have any substance — from our perspective at least.”

Well would ya look at that. It seems everyone closest to Joe - or Joe himself - seems to going against the anti-Cincinnati grain. I wonder who we should trust more?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

What does that even mean? 

I guess I was ambiguous. Originally I meant "probably the same way the other 80% of Bengal first round picks busted", but it could also be more specifically like what killed Carson Palmer, David Carr, Andrew Luck, and Sam Bradford - taking a QB number 1 overall with a garbage OL.

Take your pick of either.

Nobody is going to care if Burrow doesn't want to go to Cinci. Nobody would blame him. As a native Ohioan, I can tell you that the majority of us don't like them either. The browns are far, far more popular literally everywhere but Cinci.

At the same time, if you're passionate about football and wanting to be the difference maker -- you're still making millions of dollars anywhere you go -- the Bengals provide great opportunity to go and stand out.

100% media driven narrative.  Burrow said he has no problem playing for the Bengals, he's exciting to play anywhere that will pay him to play football.  His dad said no problem.  His mom said no problem.  Only reason it's still a story is because Burrow is playing with the media at this point because they are ludicrous.  Hell, he's already been house shopping in the Cincinnati suburbs.

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Originally I meant "probably the same way the other 80% of Bengal first round picks busted",

Not sure what time frame you’re referencing but this isn’t true. Regardless, you’re putting too much weight on the franchise’s responsibility to develop the player and not enough weight on the individual player themselves. For example, Cedric Ogbuehi didn’t bust because we did something wrong when we drafted him. He sucks because he sucks and we misevaluated his talent. Same with Billy Price, same with Ross. 

And if you want to get into specifics, over the last decade we’ve “hit” on 7/10 first round picks (Jonah Williams TBD) if you consider a “hit” at least a valued contributor. Gresham, Green, and Eifert made the probowl. Kirkpatrick, Zeitler, Dennard, and WJIII are all more than solid. Three definitive busts have been Ogbuehi, Price and (maybe) Ross. That’s not what I would call an 80% fail rate using this past decade as a sample size. The same could be said about the 2000’s as well.

19 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

but it could also be more specifically like what killed Carson Palmer, David Carr, Andrew Luck, and Sam Bradford - taking a QB number 1 overall with a garbage OL.

This isn’t true either. Palmer had well-above offensive lines nearly his whole career; a top-notch supporting cast as a whole really. He had a few freak injuries which could be why you would think to bring OL up as an issue. But his lines were by no means Luck-esque.

Do you really think Aaron Donald would bust if be was drafted by Cincinnati? What if we drafted Mahomes in 2018? I really don’t think so. The truth is talent finds a way. It supersedes any coaching or ownership insufficiencies. If Burrow busts here (he won’t), the majority of the blame should fall on Burrow, not Cincinnati.

Very click baity narrative. from Joe:

Look, this is a long process, right?” Burrow said. “They have their process that they have to go through, and so I am blessed to be in the position I’m in. If they select me, they select me. I’m going to do everything in my power to be the best football player I can be.”

“It’s a long process in the next couple of months,” Burrow said. “We have the Combine. We have pro days. There is a long time until the draft. There is a lot of information in a lot of different places. A lot of people saying a lot of things. I’m just focused on training right now.”

Nothing there says he doesn’t want to be a Bengal. People are jumping to conclusions because he hasn’t said “I want to be a Bengal”. He has said he wants to go number one and he is going to try and be the best player he can be. 

I honestly think he’s just dancing around the media questions to keep himself as a trending topic of conversation. Publicity is publicity. 

Now next week at the combine is going to be interesting. His comments there are going to mean more. People are going to ask him direct questions about all of this. “Do you want to go to Cincinnati?”  I’m sure he’s gonna answer “I’m the best player in this draft and I want to go number one, whoever drafts me I’m gonna give it my all.”

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ET80 said:

Probably been watching longer than you've been alive...

The only example we have of a #1 pick going into specifics of what team he does or doesn't want to play for is Eli and San Diego, and all you had to do was watch that painfully awkward situation play out to realize NOBODY wanted to be there at that moment. 

If this isn't awkward to you, then you don't understand what awkward is. 

Oh no, a moment looked awkward for 5 seconds on TV, let me change around my entire life and career for the next 20 years! Stop...

3 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Oh no, a moment looked awkward for 5 seconds on TV, let me change around my entire life and career for the next 20 years!

Well, that 5 seconds of awkwardness did lead to a move from San Diego to New York... so yeah, it did change his entire life and career.

Thanks for proving my point, son. xD