Joe Burrow may force his way out of the Cincinnati Bengals

DigInBoys

31 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

There's a tagging feature on this website, I'm easily distracted, and I have the memory of a goldfish. You can figure this one out. 

Noted. There's some unclaimed desert in the Cardinals forum. We'll go there and break stuff next time.

On 2/18/2020 at 10:45 PM, showtime said:

“That’s why I wanted out: I never felt like the [Bengals] organization was really trying to win a Super Bowl, and really chasing a Super Bowl,” Palmer told Damon Amendolara.

I mean, that is a actual former Bengals player who was also a QB and #1 overall pick.  Isn't their owner and front office also notorious for penny pinching?

Is that the same Carson Palmer who was surrounded by Chad Johnson, Rudi Johnson, TJ Houshmandzadeh, Willie Anderson, Levi Jones, Eric Steinbach and Chris Henry, among others, and that's just the offensive side of the ball.  Is that also the same Carson Palmer that said his owner is cheap, despite having just signed him to the richest deal in NFL history at the time?  Or the same Palmer who couldn't get to the playoffs and quit, yet was immediately replaced by Andy Dalton, who just about everyone on this site would agree is average at best, yet led the same core to FIVE STRAIGHT PLAYOFF appearances?   

Yes, that's him.  He's bitter, but has no one to blame but himself.  Palmer was the closest player to Mike Brown ever.  Carson got everything that he asked for, but when it didn't work, he blamed every single person for the collapse except the man in the mirror.  Then quit like a child.

I get that the national media finds the Bengals an easy mark.  Not a large fan base by any mean,s, so it is what it is.  Throw in the fact that SAS and Florio are Steeler fans.  

But the takes on here are quite a different story.  Entitlement runs supreme in many here who think Burrow should be free to go to your team just because.  News flash.  Bengals fans just suffered thru 2-14.  We earned the backlash, but according to the CBA, we also earned the first pick.  Burrow will be a Bengal.

What the national media hasn't picked up on, or some of you clearly missed, is that Burrow has already been seen in the greater Cincinnati area with a realtor.  And his girlfroend, who is from the area.  His father specifically has said he is looking forward to living in Athens and still being able to drive only 2.5 hours to see his son play, and that he likes the fact he won't have to move to do so.

Here's a question to ponder.  Where a=was all this backlash when the Browns had the #1 overall pick two years ago?  Where was the outcry that Garrett would languish away on Lake erie?  Or that Baker Mayfield deserved better than being like the 30th name added to the back of that Cleveland jersey (comic) with all the QBs that have started for them since their rebirth?

I'll tell you.  Nowhere.  Same could be argued for Murray.  Why is that you ask?  because none of them were surefire #1 overall picks, which Burrow is.  So the media has to invent something to talk about, and the Bengals are an easy mark.  Those of you who fail to see this should be disappointed in yourself for not seeing through the weeds and buying straight into a false narrative.

• Like 6

I mean, this guy is an absolute moron. I’m not sure if he believes what he says - if he’s actually this ignorant - or if he’s doing this for clicks and views. Did anyone else watch Matt Stafford last season before his injury? The man was playing out of his mind and the team was still 3-4-1 when he went down. The issue isn’t Stafford, and there is no need to “change your franchise”. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I mean, this guy is an absolute moron. I’m not sure if he believes what he says - if he’s actually this ignorant - or if he’s doing this for clicks and views. Did anyone else watch Matt Stafford last season before his injury? The man was playing out of his mind and the team was still 3-4-1 when he went down. The issue isn’t Stafford, and there is no need to “change your franchise”. 

Matt Stafford has always got the short end of the stick during his entire career, remember that 41 TD season where the Lions only ended 10-6 cause of injuries, just in general bad coaching and relying on stafford to get them points in the last two minutes? But I wouldn't listen to Cowherd he's a notorious idiot and the only reason he is as popular as he is lies on the fact that hes just a huge contarian who, like Skip Bayless, says stuff to be controversial

but yes the issue isnt stafford the lions are just cursed 

58 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Here's a question to ponder.  Where a=was all this backlash when the Browns had the #1 overall pick two years ago?  Where was the outcry that Garrett would languish away on Lake erie?  Or that Baker Mayfield deserved better than being like the 30th name added to the back of that Cleveland jersey (comic) with all the QBs that have started for them since their rebirth?

I'll tell you.  Nowhere.  Same could be argued for Murray.  Why is that you ask?  because none of them were surefire #1 overall picks, which Burrow is.  

I agree with you on 99% of this post.

That 1%? Myles Garrett was ABSOLUTELY the surefire #1 pick that year. There was zero question that Garrett was going #1, he was probably the most coveted edge prospect since Clowney.

It's a small item, but I have to mention this.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I agree with you on 99% of this post.

That 1%? Myles Garrett was ABSOLUTELY the surefire #1 pick that year. There was zero question that Garrett was going #1, he was probably the most coveted edge prospect since Clowney.

It's a small item, but I have to mention this.

To be fair, there was a lot of speculation because of Myles "I'd love to play in Dallas" comments that he was trying to leverage that situation there too.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

To be fair, there was a lot of speculation because of Myles "I'd love to play in Dallas" comments that he was trying to leverage that situation there too.

Leverage location, sure - but whether it was Dallas or Cleveland, Garrett was the #1 pick in the draft. Had Cleveland went in any other direction, John Lynch runs to the podium with card in hand and hits Goodell like he was Joe Horn going over the middle to scream the Garrett selection; He doesn't even take Chicago's call at that point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Leverage location, sure - but whether it was Dallas or Cleveland, Garrett was the #1 pick in the draft. Had Cleveland went in any other direction, John Lynch runs to the podium with card in hand and hits Goodell like he was Joe Horn going over the middle to scream the Garrett selection; He doesn't even take Chicago's call at that point.

Correct, but that was also the case with Eli Manning, John Elway, and even Ernie Davis WAAAAY Back (the Redskins owner refused to draft a black player so the Browns traded up to #1 to get him).

Even when these guys "leverage" their location, that usually doesn't mean the pick/draft slot.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Correct, but that was also the case with Eli Manning, John Elway, and even Ernie Davis WAAAAY Back (the Redskins owner refused to draft a black player so the Browns traded up to #1 to get him).

Even when these guys "leverage" their location, that usually doesn't mean the pick/draft slot.

I agree with this - that's why I was refuting @INbengalfan assumption that Joe Burrow is the only surefire #1 pick of the three he mentioned. 

Baker Mayfield, sure - that wasn't set in stone at all, him going #1. Myles Garrett was, no matter who had that pick. Same with Joe Burrow.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I agree with this - that's why I was refuting @INbengalfan assumption that Joe Burrow is the only surefire #1 pick of the three he mentioned. 

Ah, gotcha! I read it wrong...that or I quoted the wrong person.

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Baker Mayfield, sure - that wasn't set in stone at all, him going #1. Myles Garrett was, no matter who had that pick. Same with Joe Burrow.

The NYG at #2 were the real wildcard in all of that as well as that huge trade up with the Colts, signaling that they were going to draft a QB at #3, which essentially made the Browns stay put at #1 and not risk a tradeback scenario and risk losing out on "their QB".