Joe Burrow may force his way out of the Cincinnati Bengals

DigInBoys

2 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

No one said anything about toffee.

W.L. Weller Special Reserve

The Original Wheated Bourbon Whiskey features an exceptionally smooth taste, substituting wheat for rye grain. Bottled at 90 proof, this bourbon stands out with its burnt orange color. Its softer flavor notes make this bourbon great for sipping or making cocktails.

TASTING NOTES:

A sweet nose with a presence of caramel. Tasting notes of honey, butterscotch, and a soft woodiness. It's smooth, delicate and calm. Features a smooth finish with a sweet honeysuckle flair.

What exactly do you think "caramel and butterscotch" entails?

Toffee is a confection made by caramelizing sugar or molasses (creating inverted sugar) along with butter, and occasionally flour.

17 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Let's assume for a second that you believe Matthew Stafford is a franchise QB who is capable of winning a Super Bowl (or two).  How long will it take before the Lions are in the mix for a playoff spot, let alone winning a Super Bowl?  I think even the most optimistic of fans would say they're 2-3 years away.  And that's assuming they make all the right moves.  At that point, Matthew Stafford is 34 years old with one year, $26M left on his contract.  So you're looking at another long-term deal in the seasons in which he likely declines in play.  Given his age, it's probably time to start thinking about life after Stafford especially given the state of the Lions' roster.  If they can keep Stafford healthy AND he's as productive as he was prior to the injury, he's a very valuable commodity especially since the 2 year, $49M deal that the team acquiring him from would be responsible for.  That $24.5M/year would rank as the 12th highest AAV.  I'd imagine any team that misses out on Trevor Lawrence or Justin Field would be interested, especially a contender.

So...if the Lions think Tua is a franchise QB, I think they'd be foolish to pass on him simply because they have Matthew Stafford.  Draft Tua, redshirt him this year behind Matthew Stafford, and deal Stafford next year.

That’s fair. There is merit to the argument of replacing Stafford if you factor in longevity (as you just did) or his injury history, but that’s not how Cowherd framed his reasoning in the video. He essentially said it’s time to move on from Stafford because he hasn’t gotten them anywhere, as if it’s his fault. And that they need to take a “franchise-changing player” like Tua or Herbert. I don’t buy that. Stafford can still play at a high-level. 

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m no whiskey expert, just a consumer.  Most of my whiskey is drank as an old fashioned anyways.

That said, toffee sounds pretentious, so I both appreciate and loathe the description. 

*I'll have to review the film

*You'll have to ask _______, that's his area

Just now, Kiltman said:

So this was mostly just drummed up to fill the dead period of the year right?

Though I’m sure it has to feel a little nice for bengals fans to get the national spotlight put on their cheapskate owner for once.

It’s bittersweet for sure. On the one hand you want this enact change, but on the other hand you don’t want to scare Burrow off from wanting to play here. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

It’s bittersweet for sure. On the one hand you want this enact change, but on the other hand you don’t want to scare Burrow off from wanting to play here. 

I can't imagine he'd actually do it. Last two guys to do it were seen as generational talent and had outside sway. Elway/baseball Eli/Manning family clout.
Burrow looked fantastic this year, but he was a 1 year wonder that nobody ever heard of, who if he sits will be a 25 year old rookie next year.
I just don't really see his leverage in the situation.
And if any owner is gonna call him on it it'd be Mike Brown. The guy is like the most stubborn "honor the deal" decision maker in the league.

Like i get the criticism fully of that situation, they need a GM and to be willing to open up the checkbook every now and again...hell just make one draft trade.
It's crazy how they operate yet still do churn out some good players (just mostly for other teams)

27 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I can't imagine he'd actually do it. Last two guys to do it were seen as generational talent and had outside sway. Elway/baseball Eli/Manning family clout.
Burrow looked fantastic this year, but he was a 1 year wonder that nobody ever heard of, who if he sits will be a 25 year old rookie next year.
And if any owner is gonna call him on it it'd be Mike Brown. The guy is like the most stubborn "honor the deal" decision maker in the league.

There was Nothing Generational about Eli coming out besides being the "Next" from the family tree. It was that Family clout though that allowed him to pull the SD/NY BS!

From a #1 Pick/QB perspective Only Elway AND in all Honesty Kyler Murray had he chosen too had leverage. Burrow has NONE, ZERO, ZIP NADA! Especially if the Bengals want to call his Bluff. Us or Nothing!

What is also getting lost if he was to say Sit out a year and re-enter besides his draft stock without a doubt falling is the fact Numerous Franchises will start to question his character IF they were in place to draft him! He going to pull that here? Act up if not happy after 2 seasons, force his way our, Ect?

If the Bengals indeed want him (Honestly think he's overrated) , he will be a Bengal.

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

Like i get the criticism fully of that situation, they need a GM and to be willing to open up the checkbook every now and again...hell just make one draft trade.
It's crazy how they operate yet still do churn out some good players (just mostly for other teams)

Yeah, and I don’t see Joe having the personality to pull an Eli either. 
As for Mike Brown’s criticisms, he will spend money, just not on outside free agents. For the most part we’ve always paid our drafted and developed players. And - aside from George Iloka a few years ago - almost every major contract we’ve ever negotiated has been fulfilled in it’s entirety. It used to be a selling point in contract negotiations; if you sign a multi-year deal with us, you will be paid in full for the duration of the contract. No cutting, no restructuring. Paying our own has never been an issue. The legitimate criticism mostly stems from a lack of spending in terms of free agency. We never really ventured out to sign premium free agents. And up until the last few years we didn’t really have to, because we drafted so incredibly well at the start of this decade. Now that we’ve missed on consecutive drafts the team talent has dropped off dramatically, and there aren’t any FA additions to fill the talent void. Brown just refuses to hand out guaranteed cash to “unknowns” via a signing bonus, so we’ll never be able to compete with other teams offers. Hopefully we see a bit of a change this free agency with (hopefully) a cheap, rookie QB under contract. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Yeah, and I don’t see Joe having the personality to pull an Eli either. 
As for Mike Brown’s criticisms, he will spend money, just not on outside free agents. For the most part we’ve always paid our drafted and developed players. And - aside from George Iloka a few years ago - almost every major contract we’ve ever negotiated has been fulfilled in it’s entirety. It used to be a selling point in contract negotiations; if you sign a multi-year deal with us, you will be paid in full for the duration of the contract. No cutting, no restructuring. Paying our own has never been an issue. The legitimate criticism mostly stems from a lack of spending in terms of free agency. We never really ventured out to sign premium free agents. And up until the last few years we didn’t really have to, because we drafted so incredibly well at the start of this decade. Now that we’ve missed on consecutive drafts the team talent has dropped off dramatically, and there aren’t any FA additions to fill the talent void. Brown just refuses to hand out guaranteed cash to “unknowns” via a signing bonus, so we’ll never be able to compete with other teams offers. Hopefully we see a bit of a change this free agency with (hopefully) a cheap, rookie QB under contract. 

Yeah, and even with Eli it was mostly his family. Joe seems confident but not an ahole. I dont see him doing it.

No you're right, meant more like getting needed FA help, not old guys. Getting a GM, ditching a bad coach early when it clearly isn't working.

Yeah the bolded is how I've always perceived them from the outside. Nose down and unmoving from doing things on their own.
Especially with a rookie deal QB like you said, they need to take advantage of their situation, get him help.

Yeah, and even with Eli it was mostly his family. Joe seems confident but not an ahole. I dont see him doing it.

From what I’ve seen Burrow doesn’t have the ego to make that move. He’s confident, yet humble. He’s genuinely grateful for how things have turned around in his college career, and hasn’t let it go to his head. When he says it’s just an honor to be in the conversation to go #1, I believe him. 

No you're right, meant more like getting needed FA help, not old guys. Getting a GM, ditching a bad coach early when it clearly isn't working.

Duke Tobin is the active GM without the official title. From what I can gather he makes the majority of player personnel moves with input from select Brown family members, including - to a smaller extent - Mike. 

As for Taylor, most reasonable Bengal fans are happy with him and don’t put the 2-14 on his shoulders. From a surface perspective, it’s a bad look to drop as many games as we did, but there are a lot of extenuating factors that went into that. Not to mention we lost 7 (?) games by one score. We’re not as bad as our record would indicate. He’ll get his QB in 2020 and continue to turnover and develop the staff/roster. He’ll be fine.

• Like 1