NFL To Revamp Playoffs; Add 7th Team with Only 1 1st Round Bye

ramssuperbowl99

1 minute ago, showtime said:

In theory, isn't that what casual fans and a lot of people want?  The two best teams in the NFL (record wise) playing each other in the SB.

Until it gets boring and repetitive. Lower seeds, especially those who begin the playoffs on the road, making it to the Super Bowl to me provides more excitement in most cases. I'd be fine with the Packers making it as a #1 seed though, had Seattle not screwed up in week 17 the Pack would have been #1 and wouldn't have had to go to Santa Clara for the NFC Championship Game where we got throttled by the 49ers.

Just now, showtime said:

So then what would be the significance of having divisions at all?

The divisions are there to set up the regular season schedule for each year. That's significant enough. We get to see every team at least 2 times in an 8-year span. Over a 24-year period, the Packers would play all teams from other NFC divisions at least 8 teams each (based on season standings), and every AFC team exactly 6 times each, half of the time at home, half of the time on the road.

Just now, pf9 said:

Until it gets boring and repetitive. Lower seeds, especially those who begin the playoffs on the road, making it to the Super Bowl to me provides more excitement in most cases. I'd be fine with the Packers making it as a #1 seed though, had Seattle not screwed up in week 17 the Pack would have been #1 and wouldn't have had to go to Santa Clara for the NFC Championship Game where we got throttled by the 49ers.

Take this year as an example.  If the Titans had made it to the Superbowl, the game would have most likely been horrendous.  Teams like the Titans is pretty much only fun for hardcore football fans like us.  When talking about the Superbowl, there are millions that watch who aren't hardcore fans and then they see them getting pummeled by the 49ers 40-3, it won't be as fun for them.

Browns would have been in in 2007 and might not have gone on a 12-season streak of losing seasons (including the first ever calendar decade free of non-losing seasons in NFL history) which I attribute to the 2007 disappointment. Maybe if Jim Tressel had been hired in 2013 the Browns might have ended their playoff drought in the 2010s.

Edited by pf9

I love it! About time, I say! 💯

Nothing worse than seeing teams not make it in, who were 10-6 & in a brutal division & conference.

While the other Conference has 8-8 division winners make it in.

Now, you in theory could have a whole Division get in the Playoffs. 

While not punishing any of the other Division winners or their seeding.

This has been LONG overdue.

Remember the 11-5 Patriots with Matt Cassell? When Brady got hurt?

Did you know they missed the Playoffs?

Sorry dude...I dislike the Patriots, but that was just wrong.

With 7 teams going in, they would have made it.