Kevin King Time?

TheOnlyThing

46 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Really good article on the Kevin King/CB situation.

http://scout.com/nfl/packers/Article/Film-Review-Kings-Promotion-Could-Change-the-Season-for-Green-Ba-107668346

One paragraph stands out:

"Assuming the coaches stick with King, this could be a season-changing lineup change. House allowed one catch in three targets for 19 yards against the Falcons after not allowing a catch in one target vs. Seattle. These are amazing numbers from Pro Football Focus: Out of 103 corners with 25 percent playing time, House ranks eighth in yards per coverage snap, King ranks 13th, Rollins ranks 100th and Randall ranks 102nd."  

I hope the move to King happens quickly and he turns out to be nearly as good as he has looked so far. House and King on paper would appear to be a very decent CB starting duo on the outside.

We will see how House's and King's numbers change after Rollins and Randall aren't on the field every play. Why target House when Randall and Rollins are there LOL

50 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

That would be absolutely amazing if King was half as good as he was in Sea. But lets not go overboard, maybe part of the reason why he wasn't thrown at much was because Randall and Rollins were on the field and could be easily picked on. 

Rodgers said something like this regarding House in camp....  Why throw at the big/long corner when you can see mismatches elsewhere?  Coaches had to ask him to throw more at King in practice.  Subconsciously QB's are going to want to stay away from him.  It helps when they try a bread and butter crossing route and he closes quickly and shows how nice it is to have really long arms.  That crossing route is 10 inches behind the receiver and it is going the other way.

4 hours ago, cannondale said:

We are a self proclaimed draft and develop team. Then we let go of a very productive Hayward and Tretter for very modest contracts - both who would be very valuable about now - and have had some recent bad draft classes. Simply can't happen. Hindsight doesn't apply  - you are going against your own philosophy.

As it's been discussed ad nauseam, there was no reason for the Packers to re-sign J.C. Tretter when they couldn't guarantee him a starting position AND offer him starting money like the Browns were willing to do.  And it's revisionist theory at best with regards to Casey Hayward.

5 hours ago, Siv said:

Typical media "panic" piece. Rollins played really well versus Seattle. Just like it tooks Adams until Chicago last year (was that week 6? ) Rollins and Randall are going to show some rust and poor tech coming off injuries. If Shields stays healthy you might have seen both those two go to IR. Same as Adams in 2015. Unfortunately we needed those guys, it will take them some healthy reps to pick it back up.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Typical media "panic" piece. Rollins played really well versus Seattle. Just like it tooks Adams until Chicago last year (was that week 6? ) Rollins and Randall are going to show some rust and poor tech coming off injuries. If Shields stays healthy you might have seen both those two go to IR. Same as Adams in 2015. Unfortunately we needed those guys, it will take them some healthy reps to pick it back up.

Just because Davonte turned it around doesn't mean these two will. Randall has shown nothing to make me suggest he's ready to turn the corner. Rollins had a pretty good game vs Sea.

2 hours ago, PackyAttacky said:

Part of the House numbers come from why target him because he might defend it when Rollins and Randall are laughable bad so just target them all game. I dont want to get my hopes up for two good corners guys. If House and King are legit we win the Superbowl, book it!!!

That's very true. Think the slot has been a very weak spot since Woodson/Hayward left. Hopefully Randall gets better, but I think he can still run with people. Rollins needs to ride the bench for a while.

I'd like to see King get a shot at boundary CB opposite House.

But with that said, outside corners typically have better stats than slot guys just due to the frequency that the inside of the field is targeted rather than the outside, and the more difficult nature of the assignment. 

One of Randall/Rollins will be on the field at all times. 

12 hours ago, PackyAttacky said:

Part of the House numbers come from why target him because he might defend it when Rollins and Randall are laughable bad so just target them all game. I dont want to get my hopes up for two good corners guys. If House and King are legit we win the Superbowl, book it!!!

I would add the health of Perry and Clay being vital too.

13 hours ago, pollino14 said:

Just because Davonte turned it around doesn't mean these two will. Randall has shown nothing to make me suggest he's ready to turn the corner. Rollins had a pretty good game vs Sea.

Easy to have a good game when the QB is running for his life because the offensive line is, well, offensive.  The entire secondary and defense needs to have that asterisk by that game.  Seattle's offensive line is woefully bad.  

Archived